66 Drag link

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 66 Drag link  (Read 5423 times)

Offline Harrycall

• Stallion
66 Drag link
« on: October 18, 2010, 09:32:25 am »
I know this topic has been covered before but couldn't find anything with a search.
I'm doing a conversion on a 66 coupe and using xf power steering box and original stubs. What draglink should i be looking at?

Offline Trans-Am

• Worked
66 Drag link
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 11:27:10 am »
Hi Harrycall,

From memory, I used a 65-66 Mustang 'Manual Steer' drag link when we converted my car to take an XE power steering box and this will still maitain part of the factory steering geometry.

For a clean look, the 'Manual' drag link alleviate's the mounting hole from where the original hydraulic ram was connected to the drag link.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

Trans-Am :cool:

Offline JC074

• Blue Printed
66 Drag link
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 12:07:27 pm »
Xy - cut and shut and x-rayed or a Ford Compact apparently will do the job :)

JC
Rock on!

Offline Harrycall

• Stallion
66 Drag link
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 03:42:32 pm »
Quote from: Trans-Am link=topic=12584.msg132042#msg132042
Hi Harrycall,

From memory, I used a 65-66 Mustang 'Manual Steer' drag link when we converted my car to take an XE power steering box and this will still maitain part of the factory steering geometry.

For a clean look, the 'Manual' drag link alleviate's the mounting hole from where the original hydraulic ram was connected to the drag link.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

Trans-Am :cool:

Thanks Trans-Am, thought i saw something regarding manual draglink somewhere, so this confirms my theory!
How does yours go for bump steer? Did you retain original spindals? Did this hinder or help?
Thinking of including the Shelby 1" drop. Have heard you need to put a kit in it to stop ball joint binding or similar?

Thanks

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
66 Drag link
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 07:14:05 pm »
Yes - to be safe you need a wedge kit if your doing the Shelby drop.

Offline Harrycall

• Stallion
66 Drag link
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 07:43:02 pm »
Thanks guys. Much appreciated :cool:

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
66 Drag link
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 11:59:58 am »
Apart from a Compact Fairlane which is what ford used, there are no links that work correctly, you cant jsut turn a mustang one backward etc. You have mod a falcon one. Oz falcons are wider than a Mustang. the link shape on 67 + car is similar to an XY, but shorter by about 23mm. But pre 67 cars are very different, due where the tie rods mounts. The only way is cut shut, xray. If you want it correct that is. Even the Oz compact Fairlane is only just ok.
Start with and XY and XY idler and go from there.

Offline Harrycall

• Stallion
66 Drag link
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 12:12:10 pm »
Thanks Shaunp,
So XY idler and XY drag link are the go?
Can you recommend someone who has done these XY draglinks before? Seeing as the XF power steering option is fairly common, would there be anyone out there who's got any already done?
Appreciate the help. :smile02:

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
66 Drag link
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 12:25:14 pm »
http://mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4261

Not sure who does them in other states, I know there was a guy called Mustang and Hotrods in Sydney and maybe the Mustangs west guy in perth. Hopper stopers made some to but not sure how good. John Green at Probe in Brisbane proabably make the the best one but he is going out of conversions so probably may not want to make anymore. It also depends where you have mount the box and idler as you cant just mirror image them in real terms as the Oz box mounts differently. If you work out the shape yours needs to be , tack it together, John may weld and Xray it and stamp it approved, perhaps. The Xray is the expensive part one per weld and if it fails you start over.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
66 Drag link
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 12:38:01 pm »

Offline JC074

• Blue Printed
66 Drag link
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 02:04:07 pm »
told yas :)
Rock on!