painting the engine!

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: painting the engine!  (Read 2735 times)

Offline 2+266

• Worked
painting the engine!
« on: March 20, 2007, 05:43:59 pm »
hey people,probably been asked before but how do you prepare and paint your engine.I know the colour is corporate blue, which i need the paint code of, but need to find out if you need an etch primer on it before top coating? Engine is getting rebuilt as we speak so i need to get organized now!I`m using two pak paint and would like to hear how the finishes have stood up using the same method! NO RATTLE CANS

Offline mistermustang

• Worked
painting the engine!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 06:40:35 pm »
highly recommend using POR products (from Permanent Protective Coatings - the makers of POR15).  

http://www.ppc.au.com/

you'll need (in this order):

1. Marine Clean
2. Metal Ready (optional)
3. Engine Enamel (Ford Corporate Blue)

you may or may not need Paint Stripper.  Recommend having some POR Solvent on hand for dilution, clean up etc.

you should also get a medium brush to really get on to the engine once you've applied Marine Clean and let it soak for 30 mins.

by the way, these paints are "self levelling" which means you brush them on (thats right!!) and they self-smooth.  amazing stuff.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED products.

hope this helps!

BrianE :o
BrianE :o

Offline 2+266

• Worked
painting the engine!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 07:31:36 pm »
applying the paint with a brush seams almost sacrilege! anyone else used this product?

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
painting the engine!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 07:53:52 pm »
Ford used three different shades of corporate blue (that I'm aware of), through the 60's and seventies, and some models had the block one shade and the air cleaner and rocker covers another shade.
I dont actually know these combinations/model years but if necessary can probably find out.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
painting the engine!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 09:04:31 pm »
All bull aside,
Its best to clean it with Mag wheel cleaner and water, blow dry it, dont worry about the light rust forming while your drying it, no oil is to be present.
Its easy, lightly prime the surface with 2 pack primer, dont be too fussy, put 10% reducer with it and put on the rubber gloves and a paint brush and put 1 or 2 coats, it has to be thin to soak into the cast iron,
2 day later:Mix your 2 pack color and do the same , dont put any reducer though, 2 coats,2 hours between coats, while your waiting put the paint and brush in the fridge to slow it drying. but cover it with some cling wrap,that way the cook wont give you a hard time.
It works for me every time!Ive been doing machine parts like this for 16 years, no comebacks
Cheers Paull
PS if you want a chat about it contact me   heven67@hotmail.com
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline DV8

• Thoroughbred
painting the engine!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 08:52:44 am »

applying the paint with a brush seams almost sacrilege! anyone else used this product?

Haven't used it on an engine, but agree with Brian, it's flows out really well and dries as "hard as nails"

Offline Andymac

• Stallion
    • http://www.mustangaddicts.com
painting the engine!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 08:55:36 pm »
While I had the engine out of the 66 changing from a 6 to an 8, I decided to repaint the engine bay. There was some minor rust pitting under the battery box, so I cleaned it up with a wire brush, and brushed on POR15.

It went on so well, I hand painted the whole engine bay with it!

Don't get it on your hands (or ears, nose etc.) it is a bugger to get off.
Don't get left out of the loop. Join our online Mustang Community at
http://www.mustangaddicts.com/presents/YourOnlineCommunity
Free Blogs-Forum-Photo Gallery-Classifieds-Chatrooms-StangTube Video

Offline 2+266

• Worked
painting the engine!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 05:39:00 pm »
Good info guys,thankyou:a