Electrical problem

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Electrical problem  (Read 7788 times)

Offline Envy 68

• Worked
Electrical problem
« on: October 05, 2010, 07:48:22 am »
The 14 amp fuse that controls indicators, radio and reversing lights on my 68 GT mustang, keeps blowing big time.  I have had an auto electrician out and spent $170 but to no avail...I stopped him when he wanted to pull out the dash.   Any ideas as to what it might be?   I know it is an earthing problem but where is the question.:feedback:

Sorry wrong topic area!!
SALUTE!!  To those who have given their lives doing their job.

Online stevosky

• Thoroughbred
Electrical problem
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 07:52:32 am »
Have you done any work lately where you may have squashed some wiring when you put it all back together?
Steve

1973 Mach 1

Offline Envy 68

• Worked
Electrical problem
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 07:57:34 am »
G'day Trevosky, thanks for the reply
No it just seemed to happen suddenly.  I ahve not had the vehicle long.  Haven't had to fiddle with it as yet.:shrug:

Offline JimNiki

• Worked
Electrical problem
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 08:05:35 pm »

I know this is a pain but please understand that there is nothing fundamentally complex with the simple 12 volt wiring of these old beasts.

indicators, radio and reversing lights...

OK, this is gonna sound dumb but if you drive it without the radio on and without reversing (or remove the reverse globes) ...
or for that matter, you don't even need to drive it,  have the ignition on and play with the blinkers for 5 minutes, both sides.

If that is ok, then do the others, one at a time.
Then start 2 at a time, finally 3 at a time.

This will tell us if your problem is ground or short related or an overload on the fuse.
I would also put individual fuses on all 3 wires to further pinpoint the problem...

Offline GUSTO

• Pony
Electrical problem
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 11:38:17 pm »
I dont know if this has anything to do with this but with a recently imported 66 coupe we had issues lights, reverse lights and indicators. all the usual checks showed nothing unusual. A wise person told us to check the high beam dip switch and it was cactus. Switch replaced and everything worked!

Offline Envy 68

• Worked
Electrical problem
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 07:37:27 am »
Thanks Guys for your advise and asistance. Greatly appreciated.

Will give it a go and if all else fails will ask for your assitance again. :thumb:

Regards

Mark