Import rules on car modifications

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Import rules on car modifications  (Read 6348 times)

Offline 66FB-CBR

• Stallion
« on: September 26, 2010, 12:36:40 pm »
I have a 66 Fastback with 4xdrum brakes. I am in the US and plan to import the car under the personal import scheme in 2012. I want to change some of the drums to discs, but have a niggly feeling that DOTARS and the State rego places want unmodified cars coming in. I have read through the many threads on this topic, and come to the conclusion that if an item was around in the same period as the car (as disc brakes were) then that is acceptable. However - is it acceptable to install 2010 disc brake sets or do I need to find original (refurbished) sets from 1966?
Carl
Canberra (North)

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 01:14:17 pm »
Safety upgrades available as original options seem to be OK with DOTARS, but not major restomod type alterations.

The problem you face is if the rules change before 2012.

Then there's differing registration rules between States, which again could change between now and 2012. Some aftermarket disc conversions are already illegal in some States- something to do with caliper seals not being weatherproof. Standard looking calipers of the era, and even later ventilated rotors wouldn't attract attention.

The main thing is to describe the car accurately when you apply for an import licence - you don't want it turned back. Also check the current rules for registration in the State you plan to live in before you ship it.

Authorities are driven to avoid liability in the event of a sub standard car getting on public roads, and then causing a major accident.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 08:47:11 pm »
USAHolmes..  Contact with DOTARS might assist you on this one.  Most vehicles being imported now as originals must of had modifications done prior to 1989 and they are now looking for proof of it.  Most problems are usually with Hotrods, restorods etc but a bit of personal contact won't hurt.

Offline mark678

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 08:26:13 am »
I really do not think you are going to have a problem with a brake change,.... i think you will find dotars are only interested in cars that are highly modified ie: blowers etc or cars that are reconstructed ie hotrods ....not interested if you put mags on a car or change brakes etc ...... and if you are really concerned just bring the brakes with you and change them here .....cheers

Offline 66FB-CBR

• Stallion
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 11:23:08 am »
Thanks for the replies. As I plan to use the personal import scheme there are some relaxations in compliance - at least I think that's the case but can't find anything concrete on the DOTARS website. Good advice on purchasing the bits and bringing them home. The battle continues!
Carl
Canberra (North)

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 10:50:41 am »
Stay with similar year/spec front disks only (up to early 70s). If changing the spindle to later model version then you (should/will need to fix the) added bump steer.

Although rego will not know - the easy fix is to take it to someone that can bend the steering arm into the correct factory position. To be absolutely safe it should then be crack tested.  See shaunp's comments all over the main forum for further details.

This is what I have done for my 65 FB.

Note: There are plenty of conversion kits in the US that will use/require your drum spindle so this is probably the way to go.

Offline jimyd

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 09:19:45 pm »
I am restoring a 65 fastback which has never been registered in Australia. I bought it from a guy with import approval papers that has had it for about 5 years with the intention of restoring it but decided against it.

Lets say its a pretty involved resto....

Would i have a problem with the rego installing a 302 crate motor , disc breaks front and rear, fiberglass bonnet  etc that were not standard items.

I have done a search but still not so clear on the issues and seem to be different laws for different states.

Jim

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 09:30:40 pm »
Whar state are you in and have you checked your local laws?

Offline jimyd

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 09:32:14 pm »
I am in Victoria...
From what i understand DOTARS are cracking down on import approval's on modified cars.
My car has been here with approval 5 years or so.

When i finish the car and get it inspected, the obvious mods will be the new crate engine (which will need a number issued) ,front and rear disc breaks (with power booster) and the fiberglass bonnet.

Should i be worried about the front disc breaks as these were offered by the manufacturer?

I will install an Aussie 9" with disc breaks, and 15" wheels on all corners

There was no engine number on the original 289 but the crate motor will have afr heads, alloy intake and a higher displacement.

As for the bonnet i am hearing mixed feedback.

Jim

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 05:24:08 pm »
Jim, DOTARS is only worried about your importing asd they are a Federal Dept.  Your brakes shouldn't be a problem but I would speak to whoever you plan to get your roadworthy certificate from to obtain your registration to see if they require you to obtain an engineers certificate.

The engine number you can obtain from VicRoads and then you can get it stamped on the block.  

If its only what you are saying you should be pretty right.  

Are u planning to get full rego or club rego when they plan to change to a 90 day log book system?

Offline jimyd

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 07:18:15 pm »
Cheers Macka.

I will take it up with my mechanic.Still a little way off ready.

I plan on full reg. What is the 90 day log book system?

Jim

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 01:13:55 am »
Quote from: mark678 link=topic=12370.msg131166#msg131166
I really do not think you are going to have a problem with a brake change,.... i think you will find dotars are only interested in cars that are highly modified ie: blowers etc or cars that are reconstructed ie hotrods ....not interested if you put mags on a car or change brakes etc ...... and if you are really concerned just bring the brakes with you and change them here .....cheers

Marks on the money. There not interested in the brakes unless its a full resto mod. Under the personal import scheme...your fine anyway

Matt

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 04:20:49 pm »
Quote from: jimyd link=topic=12370.msg132067#msg132067
Cheers Macka.

I will take it up with my mechanic.Still a little way off ready.

I plan on full reg. What is the 90 day log book system?

Jim
 Jim, it runs under the club permit scheme.  It means you have club rego and can drive the vehicle for up to 90 days of the year for any reason.  As long as you fill in the log book before and after driving it.  Much cheaper (1/5th of cost) and you won't have to pay stamp duty.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 11:45:05 pm »
aslong as that model car had those style brakes on it "FOR THAT YEAR" its passable and YOU WILL GET AN APPROVAL...any mag wheel is fine also

DOTARS   "ARE CONCERNED ABOUT CHASSIS MODS.CHOP TOPS AND OLD 32 FORD HOT RODS"...SUPERCHARGERS AND THAT JAZ

There not interested in brake upgrades unless it wasnt available for that year.

if you buy a T code 65/66 that has a 289 K code engine with a paxton super charger, 9" diff, disc brake front.....that is fine....it was available for that model in that year

Hope that helps

Matt

Offline usa289

• Worked
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 11:11:32 am »
DOTARS (Import Approval) is one thing - that gives you permission to land the car in Australia.  

It is then critical to check with your local Registration Authority (Vicroads, RTA, Regency?, etc) as to what the requirements the car must meet before it can be registered......

Cheers,

[align=center]
USA289
[/align]

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 02:16:54 pm »
very true