'68 twin system exaust advice please

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: '68 twin system exaust advice please  (Read 1938 times)

Offline tangman

• Stallion
« on: September 07, 2010, 09:21:56 pm »
My  68 is currenty a single exaust, stock engine and auto.:burnout: Just about to get the G.T rear valance painted and fitted.Then the next step is to get the twin system fitted.
Should I stick with a stock set-up or opt for extractors and a better carby?What about  just the new twin exaust, or add a set of headers,or maybe a new carby. If i stick with the original carby,is it difficult to sort out the automatic choke set up on new headers,say pacemakers?
Part of me says to stick with what you got in '68.Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 09:31:08 pm »
302? 2 or 4 barrel?

If the carby is in GWO, I'd leave it alone.
I may be missing something, but how is the choke and the extractors related?

We are agents for Pacemaker, and another brand, plus we carry a few sets of US made extractors. We also are agents for Magna Flow systems, 2.5" and 3" Polished Stainless, and Mandrel Bends. Full system from cross member back, comes in kit form, to suit 64-66 or 67-70.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline mert

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 10:03:47 pm »
many OEM carb chokes had heat tubes off the exhaust manifold to heat the control spring... most, if not all, headers won't have that porting for the tubes, so you have to adapt or go electric choke...

I went stock on my two 68's.  Shipped to me from NPD it was about the same, or less, than quotes here to fabricate.  If its not an "image" engine, the stock duals will be fine for typical street use... and fit.... and be easier to fix if one bit happens to go south...
8R01S, 8R03S, 8R01C-Cal Special, 8F01X - EXP500 Repli-bute

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 10:37:52 pm »
We have the stock system, to work with your manifolds, for about $500 at your door.

Didn't know about the choke, none of my cars have ever had a choke, manual, auto or electric!
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline pbapam

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 11:02:13 pm »
Tangman, Had some y tri headers installed on my 66 convertible just over a month ago, and I too was worried about the choke set up. In fact I posted  topic on it on several mustang sites. To cut a long story short, my mechanic who installed it welded a loop to one of the header tubes and the choke tube sits in it nicely.

(Mert, by the way haven't forgotten about the photos of the convertible top for you. Will get onto it asap.)

Offline tim_morrison82

• Blue Printed
    • http://s806.photobucket.com/home/tim_morrison82/allalbums
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 12:56:30 am »
Hey, if you end up changing your exhaust, and your existng one is still ok, i wouldn't mind checking it out. my family is at mudgee, so not too far away. i'm going concourse way, and mine is single exhaust, so very interested. also if you are replacing the exhaust manifolds with headers, thatsanother bit  am missing. email me if you are trying to get rid of these. cheers

Offline tangman

• Stallion
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 12:57:09 pm »
Quote from: tim_morrison82 link=topic=12183.msg128777#msg128777
Hey, if you end up changing your exhaust, and your existng one is still ok, i wouldn't mind checking it out. my family is at mudgee, so not too far away. i'm going concourse way, and mine is single exhaust, so very interested. also if you are replacing the exhaust manifolds with headers, thatsanother bit  am missing. email me if you are trying to get rid of these. cheers
Thanks Tim, I'll keep you in mind.

Offline mert

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 06:06:21 pm »
dn't know about the choke, none of my cars have ever had a choke, manual, auto or electric

Standard issue on any OEM Holley, 2100, 4100 or 4300 used on a Mustang.  
8R01S, 8R03S, 8R01C-Cal Special, 8F01X - EXP500 Repli-bute