Which to use - Holley or Edelbrock carby?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Which to use - Holley or Edelbrock carby?  (Read 3619 times)

Offline donoauto

• Worked
« on: September 04, 2010, 11:01:53 am »
Ok , made up my mind on the edelbrock edl-2091 top end kit. Edelbrock recommend their  part#18064 650cfm carby. Guys at Rocket are trying to talk me into a 670cfm Holley Street Avenger.
Popular consensus from a lot of blokes in the mech. game & I tend to agree , that Holleys are great for idling & flat out but are a bit crap in-between. But , in the same breath , say that most tune shops & themselves know a lot about holley's & have the tuning components readily available. Not many know about the workings of an edelbrock carby & certainly don't have the bits.
BUT , from all reports about edelbrock carby's , bolt them on & they work awesomely with stuff-all setting up. I think they might be similar to Rochesters ( which I love ). You can buy tuning kits for around $80 for the edelbrocks.
Any guidance in my decision will be noted & appreciated.
Regards ,

Mark.

Auto-electrician & car A/C guy.

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 11:17:10 am »
I put a Holley on mine & had it re-jetted & tweaked by a carby guy. Smooth acceleration right through the range but fuel 'economy' turned to sh!t. One of these days, I'll have my original Autolite 4100 repaired & re-install it. If the Edelbrock is more like a Quadrajet, it might give you better mileage. If it costs you more to set up/adjust, you'll probably get that back in fuel savings. Before you take the plunge, track down a reputable carby guy that knows them well. He might help you make your decision.

Evan.

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 11:54:37 am »
I think the holley will be easier to own when it comes to any maintenance with repsct to knowledge and parts. I have a 770 cfm street avenger and it works really well throughout the range. I did have it leak which was annoying, but now fixed. I think edelbrocks don't have the same leakage problems holleys sometines have due to their float bowl design.

You'll be happy either way.
Cheers Bee

Offline donoauto

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 12:08:34 pm »
Quote from: Bumblebee link=topic=12140.msg128371#msg128371
I think the holley will be easier to own when it comes to any maintenance with repsct to knowledge and parts. I have a 770 cfm street avenger and it works really well throughout the range. I did have it leak which was annoying, but now fixed. I think edelbrocks don't have the same leakage problems holleys sometines have due to their float bowl design.

You'll be happy either way.

I've read a few stories of annoying seepage from the holley's.
Regards ,

Mark.

Auto-electrician & car A/C guy.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 12:16:55 pm »
Mark.

If you decide to go the Holley 670 Avenger route, I have one for sale - brand new in the box. Never fitted.
I don't think I am gonna use it. $500 if you are interested. U2U me.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 01:52:54 pm »
Holleys are fine, just that people take them out of the box bolt them on and they always run, so no one hardly ever setts them correctly.

Offline trik 66

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 02:11:14 pm »
Go the Edelbrock !! I have had both and the edelbrock is by far easier to tune etc etc !  My Opinion only Guys !!!
[img width=180 height=135]http://i878.phot

Offline muzzieat9

• Stallion
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 06:15:32 pm »
If you want all out power use holley, if you want reliability from the first tune then you cannot go past edelbrock. I pulled holleys of both my cars and replaced with edelbrocks. I have a 600cfm on my 66 and a 650cfm Thunder series (tunable sec) in the 65 with 347. Driveability is key to me and they don't miss a beat in hot or cold weather.