Dropped spindles / Axles

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Dropped spindles / Axles  (Read 6409 times)

Offline Glen68

• Thoroughbred
Dropped spindles / Axles
« on: September 02, 2010, 01:33:57 pm »
For all you "restomod" guys who are dropping their Mustang on its belly and still want full suspension travel and be able to use suitable springs.
This is the reply to an email I sent from Rod Hadfield at "Stub Tech"

" Hi Glen,
Regarding your enquiry on drop spindles to suit Fords, we are well underway with the development of this product. It is quite a long and expensive process but at this stage all drawings are complete and a wax duplicate from the drawing has been made, I have attached two photo's of this model to show you what you can expect the finished article to look like. It's designed to accept the stock Ford caliper up to XF. We have also made provision for the stub to accept other calipers such as Brembo, Skyline or Commodore. It is a complicated product to make because of the steering arm not being bolt on like most cars. We are currently making left and right hand patterns, machining fixtures and are going to make two sets (prototypes) to check everything. Our aim is to have these in the car by mid November and if all is well we should be in production by Christmas. They of course will be more expensive than others we have as there is more metal thus more turning etc. If you want me to keep you on the list please let me know, the axles we are producing will suit Mustangs from '66 to '72, Falcons and Fairlanes from '67 to XF.
Regards,
Rod"

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
Dropped spindles / Axles
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 02:58:03 pm »
Shouldn't that be 67-73?

sounds good though.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline Glen68

• Thoroughbred
Dropped spindles / Axles
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 03:24:37 pm »
I am not sure if they really know the differences between the mustangs let alone mustang to Australian ford. I know NOTHING but I would hope someone with some knowledge would be involved???

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
Dropped spindles / Axles
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 09:50:54 pm »
If Rod Hadfield is making these, you would want to know a bit about fabricating and fitting yourself, so you can finish them off, when you try fitting them, if past experience with the Rod Shop is anything to go by.
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline Glen68

• Thoroughbred
Dropped spindles / Axles
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 01:19:40 pm »
Well I am willing to give it a crack and I will let "stub tech" and you guys know how it went for sure.

I don't mind being a guniea pig if it works out for the best in the long run.

Hey Steph make sure you have at least 1 x one piece door glass set on shelf around March, April. That looks like the time I will be able to purchase a set off you. :)

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
Dropped spindles / Axles
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 02:19:48 pm »
Sounds good, if the stubs fit like they should, they will be a great option for a lot of people.
I will have a set for you, no worries :cool:
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor