3 or 4 speed? / discs brakes?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 3 or 4 speed? / discs brakes?  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
  • Car: 1966 coupe & 1969 Mach 1
« on: March 09, 2007, 04:14:28 pm »
My newly purchased 65 fastback has a 3sp gearbox.  It is about to undergo a resto and i purchased it "not running".  If the 3 speed is in good condition i will leave it be, but if it is in need of a rebuilt, should i do this (and keep original), or put a 4spd in?

It is also running drum brakes all round and i was thinking of converting to discs up front.  I was considering getting a conversion kit from the states when i inport some other parts.  Is this a good option or can i convert with parts sourced from local falcons?  What have you guys used when converting to discs? Appreciate any advice.

Cheers

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 10:26:33 pm »
G'day,
         a 3 speed and drum brakes, normally equals 4 stud wheels....  I may be wrong????????

If you have 4 studders, and opt for disc brakes, you will find they are 5 stud.  You will need to upgrade the rear to 5 stud also...or carry two spare wheels.

Cheers
Jas

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 09:33:40 am »
Should only have 4 studs if it's 6. A mate of mine has 66 convertable and it was a 3 speed, drum brake 289 from new, it's got a toploader and Falcon disc's now of course.