Crate engine help

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Crate engine help  (Read 12914 times)

Offline marc

• Pony
Crate engine help
« on: August 19, 2010, 07:06:20 pm »
Hi all,

My 289 died in my 65 coupe.  Not too worry, all the better reason to something in a little more fun.  

I have been talking to proformance unlimited in the U.S and thinking about a 347 stroker.  I have spoken to one other person in OZ that has been to their factory and ordered a motor.  They were very helpful/friendly etc and the motor arrived as promised.  The motor has gone in their car yet so can't really comment on that side of it (kinda the most important)  although  I have seen it running on you tube.

It alll specs up pretty good and at $6500 US its unbeatable value.

Does anyone have any feedback or has anyone bought in crate engines before.

Any info would be great, thanks

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
Crate engine help
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 07:22:10 pm »
Try to talk to someone who has one of these engines fitted and run in.
Plenty of so called crate engines are on the market but not all are exactly what they are advertised to be.
Seems a mild/warm stroker 347 engine hits the $10-12K figure landed here in OZ.
Certainly dearer ones are available, as are cheap ????? ones.
Be careful and best of luck, but do your homework carefully.
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline Hawko

• Pony
Crate engine help
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 08:43:44 pm »
I purchased a 347 crate engine built by T&L Engines. It cost me just under $12k to my door. It came complete with polished ac compressor, p/steer pump, alternator and MARCH brackets and pulleys. The part I like is they have a agent in Oz ( RAW Perfomance). The motor I purchased was already here in Oz. Unfortunately I haven't fired it up yet so I can't give any feed back on that yet.

Offline DUNRITE66

• Worked
Crate engine help
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 09:10:44 pm »
Quote from: marc link=topic=11958.msg127042#msg127042
Hi all,

My 289 died in my 65 coupe.  Not too worry, all the better reason to something in a little more fun.  

I have been talking to proformance unlimited in the U.S and thinking about a 347 stroker.  I have spoken to one other person in OZ that has been to their factory and ordered a motor.  They were very helpful/friendly etc and the motor arrived as promised.  The motor has gone in their car yet so can't really comment on that side of it (kinda the most important)  although  I have seen it running on you tube.

my mate bought a proformance engine..arrived quite quickly considering when he ordered it they had those snow storms...in the car now and just about to get registered...his engineer asked him if it was a 347 or modified 289 as  if it was a 347 then car had to be braced and a hell of a lot more work done to pass...engine running...sounds strong...third gear and still turning tyres....he air freighted and got here in 3 days...so far so good....not sure what final price was but dont expect change from 10-12 k all up  i would say if you air freight..if you want to speak to him U2U me your number and i will get him to call you....cheers...

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
Crate engine help
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 09:19:46 pm »
If you are going to end up spending $12-$13k then have a look at Eagle Spares in Melbourne.
They have a 347 Boss motor for $13K.

Awesome motor and  local if you have probs.

They are on eBay and have that engine listed. Search for seller usaspecials on eBay . I was down there the other day and saw that motor.
Looks great.

they have cheaper ones also - alloy headed 302 and 351s for $7-8K. Between 360 and 400hp.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
Crate engine help
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 09:20:29 pm »
BTW the 347 Boss is good for 450hp.

Plenty !

cheers,
Frank.

Offline DUNRITE66

• Worked
Crate engine help
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 09:56:41 pm »
Quote from: marc link=topic=11958.msg127042#msg127042
Hi all,

another mate of mine waited 16 months to get his engine from T&L..lucky he even got it ...they used to have a web site..no longer can i find it..plenty of unhappy customers from there i think from some of the comments when you do a google search..worse case buy your parts from Summit or Jegs ..then get engine built here from reputable engine builder...if you supply them all the bits they need for what ever combo you choose..they just machine and asssemble....cant see why not...

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
Crate engine help
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 10:14:48 pm »
Key issues are knowing the parts they say are in the engine, are actually IN the engine.  The engine pulling the claimed power is another one, often the claimed power is achieved with an extreme set up of carb, manifold and exhaust and a big gap can exist between the claim and what you get.  Finally, if you bring an engine in you're up for gst AND duty, unless you very carefully organise your purchase to qualify for the FTA between AUS and the US.

When you fit one of these new 302 based strokers into a 64-66 in NSW you'll need an engineers certificate to make it legal, but you shouldn't need special bracing, have an export brace etc, but I guess it depends on the engineer, they vary wildly.

Setting one of these up in an older car needs some electrical work to accomodate the single wire altenator and tach adapter if you're running and MSD.  Don't forget the cooling and also the clutch and depending on the engineer, they may query the brakes etc.

Have fun, it's a great improvement if you take your time and plan it out.

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
Crate engine help
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 07:25:13 am »
Hi Bee,

What needs to be done to run an MSD ? I will be installing a crate motor some time down the track and have an MSD dizzy with 6AL box.

Thanks,
Frank.

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
Crate engine help
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 08:14:06 am »
If you're running an early tach then you will probably need the tach adapter which is a small MSD box you can mount below the main 6AL unit.  On my car we put it very neatly on a stainless steel plate and bolted that to a couple of fender bolts behind the off side shock tower so as not to cut up the inner fender panels and then bolted the tach adapter below it on the same plate.  ALso, some batches of these MSD dizzys have serious corosion problems so check inside periodically, mine appears to be unaffected, but I've seen some awful units too.

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
Crate engine help
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 09:16:53 am »
Thanks Bee.

My car is a non-tach car, so at the moment I have an electronic dizzy (Bosch copy) and an aftermarket electronic tacho mounted on the steering column. So I dont need the tach adapter, right ?

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
Crate engine help
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 10:46:57 am »
Not sure:

Excerpt:

http://www.msdpowersports.com/pdf/frm22049_pn8920.pdf

If your tachometer doesn’t work correctly after installing an MSD Ignition Control, always
try to connect the tach’s trigger wire directly to the tach output of the Ignition. If the tach still
registers incorrectly, install this Tach Adapter.
There are two style tachometers that may have been used on your vehicle; Voltage triggered
and Current triggered. The wiring diagrams show both installations.
Voltage Triggered: If the trigger wire of the tach was originally connected to the coil negative
terminal you have a Voltage triggered tachometer.
Current Triggered: If the trigger wire of the tach was originally connected to the coil positive
terminal, it is a Current Triggered Tachometer.
Wiring with a Magnetic Pickup Distributor and a Voltage Triggered Tach.
AUTOTRONIC CONTROLS CORPORATION • 1490 HENRY BRENNAN DR., EL PASO, TEXAS 79936 • (915) 857-5200 • FAX (915) 857-3344
CAUTION: Never connect any wires to the Coil Terminals when an MSD 6, 7, 8
or 10 Series Ignition is installed.
Cheers Bee

Offline mal67

• Worked
Crate engine help
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 10:48:16 am »
Quote from: Frank70 link=topic=11958.msg127061#msg127061
If you are going to end up spending $12-$13k then have a look at Eagle Spares in Melbourne.

They are on eBay and have that engine listed. Search for seller usaspecials on eBay . I was down there the other day and saw that motor.
Looks great.

they have cheaper ones also - alloy headed 302 and 351s for $7-8K. Between 360 and 400hp.

Cheers,
Frank.

Hi Guys, I have purchased one of the alloy headed 302's from Eagle as mentioned here by Frank.  The engine is being installed as we speak; its the 360hp version.  If anyone is interested, I will be able to provide some feedback in a few weeks after dyno and run in....... :thumb:

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
Crate engine help
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 10:58:58 am »
I have used and like   http://www.fordstrokers.com/

I trust the workmanship and the parts that are used.

I have seen to many crate engine use Procomp heads and other parts that in mu opinion simply should be no where near an engine if your paying 10K plus for it.

Before you purchase an engine get a list of the components used. Not just a 3.4" stroked crank but the brand. Especially the heads used.

Offline muzzieat9

• Stallion
Crate engine help
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 12:53:28 pm »
Summit racing in the states carries the Ford racing crate engine range, shouldn't have to pay import duty due to FTA if parts are US made. They also carry Blueprint strokers which were featured a while back in Mustangs and Fords.  John Barrett is another though not sold thru Summit.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
Crate engine help
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 01:15:46 pm »
Quote from: Bumblebee link=topic=11958.msg127096#msg127096
Not sure:

Excerpt:

http://www.msdpowersports.com/pdf/frm22049_pn8920.pdf

If your tachometer doesn’t work correctly after installing an MSD Ignition Control, always
try to connect the tach’s trigger wire directly to the tach output of the Ignition. If the tach still
registers incorrectly, install this Tach Adapter.
There are two style tachometers that may have been used on your vehicle; Voltage triggered
and Current triggered. The wiring diagrams show both installations.
Voltage Triggered: If the trigger wire of the tach was originally connected to the coil negative
terminal you have a Voltage triggered tachometer.
Current Triggered: If the trigger wire of the tach was originally connected to the coil positive
terminal, it is a Current Triggered Tachometer.
Wiring with a Magnetic Pickup Distributor and a Voltage Triggered Tach.
AUTOTRONIC CONTROLS CORPORATION • 1490 HENRY BRENNAN DR., EL PASO, TEXAS 79936 • (915) 857-5200 • FAX (915) 857-3344
CAUTION: Never connect any wires to the Coil Terminals when an MSD 6, 7, 8
or 10 Series Ignition is installed.

Thanks Bee.

Looks like I have a voltage triggered tach.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
Crate engine help
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 01:17:19 pm »
Quote from: mal67 link=topic=11958.msg127097#msg127097
Quote from: Frank70 link=topic=11958.msg127061#msg127061

Looks great.

Cheers,
Frank.

Hi Guys, I have purchased one of the alloy headed 302's from Eagle as mentioned here by Frank.  The engine is being installed as we speak; its the 360hp version.  If anyone is interested, I will be able to provide some feedback in a few weeks after dyno and run in....... :thumb:

Yeah, I know the one - nice job !

Looking forward to hearing how you go.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
Crate engine help
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 01:24:05 pm »
Quote from: muzzieat9 link=topic=11958.msg127112#msg127112
Summit racing in the states carries the Ford racing crate engine range, shouldn't have to pay import duty due to FTA if parts are US made. They also carry Blueprint strokers which were featured a while back in Mustangs and Fords.  John Barrett is another though not sold thru Summit.

That's true but to use the FTA safely the invoice must say certain specific things and the FTA must also be correctly detailed.  I can help if needed.  No charge :smile01:
Cheers Bee

Offline marc

• Pony
Crate engine help
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 07:46:31 pm »
Proformance will give me the FTA, no probs.

I've done quite a lot of looking around and I think I am going to go with these guys.  I'll keep you all posted.

Have a look at the specs here http://www.proformanceunlimited.com/specs/343_350dropAL.html

Let me know what you think?

Offline DUNRITE66

• Worked
Crate engine help
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 08:41:06 pm »
Quote from: marc link=topic=11958.msg127165#msg127165

I've done quite a lot of looking around and I think I am going to go with these guys.  I'll keep you all posted.

Have a look at the specs here http://www.proformanceunlimited.com/specs/343_350dropAL.html

same engine as my friends i would say ..he optioned the cobra sump/rocker covers etc....full march pulley kit....his engine came with patriot alloy heads.....so far so good....just his brakes have suffered through a lack of vacuum ...fitting a vacuum tank at the moment to compensate...

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
Crate engine help
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2010, 06:21:54 pm »
I had a look and I am little confused by some of the information. Please do not see this as being negative just suggesting you do more investigation. Anyway;

First thing I look for in the spec is that details covering the major components and to make sure decent brand names are used.  This is a typical engine that does not have the brand names for;
1) Intake   (I would guess a procomp  edelbrock copy).
2) Roller rockers   (I would guess they are the Red Procomp brand).
3) Heads   (I would guess again they are Procomp heads as it has the distinctive casing plug - though I am not sure they do a 180 cc for the Windsor. I found 3 other manufacturers that have 180cc heads [Dart, World, Patriot] but they do nto have the Procomp casing plug). Also, what brand valves and springs are used.
4) Roller Lifters and Cam package.  Again brand is important here.

Over all they are quick to show the brand they use when it is a good brand, e.g. MSD Distributer, Elderbrock carbi, Melling opil pump etc. This to me a worry that the most important parts are inferior product brands. Remember it is going to be hard to return the engine if it does not turn out well for you.  I would ask for the specific brands of these components before I would purchase the engine. It is a big investment and it is best to know.

Last comment - You will need to purchase extra items such a MSD 6AL control box etc. It is documented by them which is a good point - just budget for it.

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
Crate engine help
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 02:38:22 pm »
I'd be using a ICE ignition, if it were me.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
Crate engine help
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 07:37:55 pm »
Interesting - I was not aware of ICE Ignition. I will store that away for later reference.

Thanks.

Offline marc

• Pony
Crate engine help
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 07:49:37 pm »
Quote from: dunrite66 link=topic=11958.msg127170#msg127170

same engine as my friends i would say ..he optioned the cobra sump/rocker covers etc....full march pulley kit....his engine came with patriot alloy heads.....so far so good....just his brakes have suffered through a lack of vacuum ...fitting a vacuum tank at the moment to compensate...

Did they get the motor from proformance unlimited?

Offline DUNRITE66

• Worked
Crate engine help
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 08:16:31 pm »
Quote from: marc link=topic=11958.msg127309#msg127309
Quote from: dunrite66 link=topic=11958.msg127170#msg127170

Did they get the motor from proformance unlimited?
yeah he did get it from there....got patriot alloys with it...genuine edelbrock performer...msd with 6AL box..650 HP Holley not edelbrock....full march pulleys..