Noob and a 68

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Noob and a 68  (Read 58998 times)

Offline chopmgw

• Worked
Noob and a 68
« on: August 17, 2010, 02:44:30 pm »
Well as the heading suggest, Im an absolute noob at car restoration. I know minimal about mechanical things and nothing about body restoration.
Im gonna be needing a lot of advice and help. (WARNING Adelaide folk).
Ive always loved the classic mustangs and nearly bought one 25 years ago but opted for kids and a larger mortgage.
The kids have grown up now and the cash flows a little more easily nowadays.
For the past 12 months Ive been thinking of buying my dream car.
I couldnt afford the 50-60k for that ,so I settled for a restoration project !
I recently bought this 68 coupe.
Californian car, all original panels, vinyl roof.

I was told the motor had recently been overhauled and from the looks of it the auto transmission. The brakes had also been "done". Whatever that means ?

Well the first thing I decided to do was strip the vinyl roof.
I was sure there would be a little bit of rust underneath but I wasnt prepared for what I saw.
The roof looks like swiss cheese in sections and the drip rails have rusted out in a couple of sections on both sides.
I wanted to cry.
Learned my first noob lesson though.
DONT buy a car with a vinyl roof !

Have been quoted 3-4K to fix the roof.
In the meantime, got plenty of other stuff to go on with.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:37:33 am by chopmgw »
I can smell oranges !
Michael

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
Carby issues....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 03:23:31 pm »
MOCSA club night.....this wednesday night, come along & introduce yourself.  :thumb:    :drink:
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Carby issues....
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 03:30:08 pm »
That's repairable, I have to fold up some gutters for my car, if your not in a hurry I can make you a set. Worst case a 2nd hand turret will be about $500 plus fitting. I think you will find the rest of car pretty rust free. My 67 had vinyl top as well, I intend to put one back on once I paint it. Cars with factory top were never painted with top coat under the vinyl, do it properly and it won't rust again.

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
Carby issues....
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 03:55:45 pm »
not too many of us vinyl toppers about now......:cool:

Offline chopmgw

• Worked
Carby issues....
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 08:44:31 pm »
Quote from: shaunp link=topic=11914.msg126648#msg126648
That's repairable, I have to fold up some gutters for my car, if your not in a hurry I can make you a set. Worst case a 2nd hand turret will be about $500 plus fitting. I think you will find the rest of car pretty rust free. My 67 had vinyl top as well, I intend to put one back on once I paint it. Cars with factory top were never painted with top coat under the vinyl, do it properly and it won't rust again.

Thanks for the offer of gutters.
Think Im looking at just replacing the skin at the moment and not the whole turret ( I hope).

Quote from: 66 EMBERGLO COUPE link=topic=11914.msg126647#msg126647
MOCSA club night.....this wednesday night, come along & introduce yourself.  :thumb:    :drink:

Would love to come along but unfortunately Im working Afternoon shift. Im currently using the works computer to post here.
Quote from: 66 EMBERGLO COUPE link=topic=11914.msg126651#msg126651
not too many of us vinyl toppers about now......:cool:

Not sure Im gonna go down that road. I think it might depend on the end result of fixing the roof

I can smell oranges !
Michael

Offline chopmgw

• Worked
Carby issues....
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 08:48:45 pm »
Are there any Adelaide members in the Golden Grove area who fancy a beer and a chat on the weekend ?
I can smell oranges !
Michael

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
Carby issues....
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 10:23:05 pm »
Maybe , when & where................what do you propose, there are quite a few guys out in the northern suburbs. Me for one   :cool:

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Carby issues....
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 08:28:19 am »
You can't buy new skins for a  coupe, and they are real pian to un pick, it's easier to replace the enitre top or reapair the one you have. I know Kerry, pulled the skin of one on here last year, reapired it and put it back on.

[Edited on 17-8-10 by shaunp]

Offline chopmgw

• Worked
Carby issues....
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 01:25:42 pm »
Quote from: 66 EMBERGLO COUPE link=topic=11914.msg126776#msg126776
Maybe , when & where................what do you propose, there are quite a few guys out in the northern suburbs. Me for one   :cool:

U2U sent

Quote from: shaunp link=topic=11914.msg126890#msg126890
You can't buy new skins for a  coupe, and they are real pian to un pick, it's easier to replace the enitre top or reapair the one you have. I know Kerry, pulled the skin of one on here last year, reapired it and put it back on.

Well I`ve only had 1 quote so far and the guy didnt think it warranted removing the whole turret,so I was hoping some of the guys from the club would give me more opinions.

Any way more pics.
Before the strip down began.

The car was originally green and it looks as if some teenager has attempted to respray it with heaps over overspray to chrome,interior,trim.

Ive now stripped the interior and looks like the floor pans are all pretty good.

Not sure whats been going on here.
Has some oversized transmission been used in here at some stage ?
Makes me wonder what trans is in the car now.

The roof inside.

Had to start removing that teal blue colour.
Was giving me the sheets.
And Im not a crows fan either.

My unimpressed helper.

I can smell oranges !
Michael

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
Carby issues....
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 01:34:32 pm »
Geez, no harm big fella - just lookin'.  :cry:

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
Carby issues....
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 01:52:06 pm »
Nice looking project. As you say, the roof/turret seems to be the major work point. Just chip away at each part/section that needs to be done and you will be surprised at how good you feel about it all. Plenty of advice here when its needed, plus suggestions that might help to speed things up in a controlled manner. Don't take short cuts and be prepared to wait for correct parts etc to make it all purdy!
Looking on with great interest.:fantastic:
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline eri67

• Blue Printed
Carby issues....
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 01:55:22 pm »
this has to be your profile pic

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Carby issues....
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 02:04:39 pm »
The original colour is called Lime Gold, and the paint job you took off is Standard US workmanship that how they do it. My 67 is Lime gold but with a black top, great colour when fresh.

Offline chopmgw

• Worked
Carby issues....
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 08:42:58 pm »
Quote from: shaunp link=topic=11914.msg126928#msg126928
The original colour is called Lime Gold, and the paint job you took off is Standard US workmanship that how they do it. My 67 is Lime gold but with a black top, great colour when fresh.

Dont think Im gonna go back to the lime gold when I finally get around to painting her.
Got a nice colour of orange in mind with a couple of black gt stripes down the middle but got a couple of years to reconsider before then.
I can smell oranges !
Michael

Offline mustang-jerry

• Thoroughbred
Carby issues....
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 09:16:26 pm »

I always like the club meetings but lately it fall's on the wrong night's for me to get out.
If you guy's organise a few beer's let me know ill be there.

Offline chopmgw

• Worked
Carby issues....
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 09:35:30 pm »
Quote from: mustang-jerry link=topic=11914.msg126988#msg126988

I always like the club meetings but lately it fall's on the wrong night's for me to get out.
If you guy's organise a few beer's let me know ill be there.

U2U sent
I can smell oranges !
Michael

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
Carby issues....
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 09:32:00 am »
I love your BOUNCER ............or is he the Valet Parking Guy....:thumb:

I will dust mine off ( weather permitting ) & come up for a drive Saturday arvo......If its pouring I will be in the daily driver

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
Carby issues....
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 03:18:36 am »

chopmgw, Congratulations on becoming a Mustang owner. Exciting time for you.

Other than the roof, your car looks to be quite solid - great base for a restoration.

In your first post it is mentioned that you know nothing about panel/paint work. You are about to learn all about it.:smile01:
Rule no.1 - Never leave bare metal exposed. Have you put etch primer over the bare metal? If not - please do so - PRONTO, or the bare metal will begin rusting.

Looking at the recent photos - i would use an orbital sander with 80 grit frecut to remove the paint down to bare metal. If you do it one panel at a time and spray primer after completing each panel over a couple of weeks you will make good progress.

Here is a Link to a good Forum to help you learn -
http://www.autobody101.com/forums/

We are beginning the restoration of a Mach1 next week some time. First job will be to remove all the paintwork. Would be a good idea for you to call in and see how it all progresses. We would be happy to give you some tips on how to go about it. My son ( Mustang Jerry ) i believe has been in contact with you. If he has not given you our details, send me a U2U.

As you go about the restoration, it is extremely important to keep the car to factory original specs. No fancy stuff. When you take it down to Regency for inspection it needs to be a Museum piece. Their favourite term is "Did it leave the factory like that". This means no after market add ons.

Here is a 69 Coupe in the original Lime Gold colour

Also, If you keep the car Left Hand Drive, it must be a Factory Original Colour, meaning any colour that was available from the factory for your car.

Look forward to meeting you.

Rocket.
Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline MustangNut

• Blue Printed
Carby issues....
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 07:09:30 am »
Looks a good base for a real nice resto, congrats.  Looks like someone fitted (not too well) an after market shifter. As you know I have a 67 wreck and could cut that floor section out for you if you want,  say around 10" square should do it. Cost will be my time to do it plus discs and freight.  

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
Carby issues....
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 07:26:32 am »
Quote from: rocket link=topic=11914.msg127079#msg127079

Also, If you keep the car Left Hand Drive, it must be a Factory Original Colour, meaning any colour that was available from the factory for your car.

Are you sure about this rocket? This doesn't seem to apply in Vic. Is it an SA thing?

Evan.

Offline eri67

• Blue Printed
Carby issues....
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 07:29:58 am »
Quote from: evan link=topic=11914.msg127085#msg127085

Are you sure about this rocket? This doesn't seem to apply in Vic. Is it an SA thing?

Evan.

its a sa thing, no extractors etc either

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
Carby issues....
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 07:56:04 am »

Spot on Josh.

In South Australia, in order to Register a LHD car, it must be
 "As it left the factory". Absolutely no modifications are allowed. They are very pedantic about it.

No chrome rocker covers or air cleaners, no extractors or fancy exhaust systems, no after market radios etc.

An example - We imported a set of Disc Brakes from the USA for Jeremy`s 65 Coupe. They stopped the car superbly. He was knocked back because they were not Kelsey Hayes brakes. Had to refit the original drum brakes to get it passed.
Work that one out!

Rocket.
Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Carby issues....
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 09:25:11 am »
That makes QLD LO2 regs a joy, you can reg anything left hook as long as it has interia reel belts in the font, 3 points and baby bolts in the rear & correct headlights. And the Blue qld transport mod plate.

Offline chopmgw

• Worked
Carby issues....
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 08:46:11 pm »
Quote from: MustangNut link=topic=11914.msg127083#msg127083
As you know I have a 67 wreck and could cut that floor section out for you if you want,  say around 10" square should do it. Cost will be my time to do it plus discs and freight.  

U2U sent.
I can smell oranges !
Michael

Offline chopmgw

• Worked
Carby issues....
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 08:53:24 pm »

Rule no.1 - Never leave bare metal exposed. Have you put etch primer over the bare metal? If not - please do so - PRONTO, or the bare metal will begin rusting.

We are beginning the restoration of a Mach1 next week some time. First job will be to remove all the paintwork. Would be a good idea for you to call in and see how it all progresses.

I have actually sprayed the bare metal sections with Rocol moisture guard as a temporary measure. Expensive stuff but I got it from a previous workplace.
I think i have ur number and will give u a call next week to come and chat with u about the paintwork.
I need all the tips I can get.

While ur coupe looks great in Lime Gold, I m not sure its what I want.
So if I understand correctly, any of the original colours would appease the inspectors at Regency ?

I can smell oranges !
Michael