New member - Strewth...

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: New member - Strewth...  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Skip

• L Plates
New member - Strewth...
« on: August 17, 2010, 06:11:34 am »
Hi, I have just registered. I am living abroad at the moment, but returning home to perth in the next 12 to 18 months. I have a 2006 Mustang GT - its a Mach 1 homage. Not quite sure how the hell to get it into Oz as its a left hooker. Plenty of paper work (and import duties) by the looks. Anyway, hope to see you on the highway sometime in the future. Thanks, Skip.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:37:59 pm by peterp »

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
New member - Strewth...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 07:37:42 am »
Looks tuff!
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline Cage

• Worked
New member - Strewth...
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 10:00:17 am »
Nice ride Skip, love the matt black. What's that Skip, Billy has falling down a cliff and broken his leg, and you have called a helicopter to rescue him. :smile01::smile01::smile01:

The older guys will get this. Only having fun Skip. Good luck getting her home mate.

Offline tim_morrison82

• Blue Printed
    • http://s806.photobucket.com/home/tim_morrison82/allalbums
New member - Strewth...
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 10:36:33 am »
hey Skip,

bring a fat wallet back! you will need to get it converted to right hand drive, which in these later models is way too expensive in my opinion. it costs around the au$40k mark.

i think if you have been living there and driving your car for over 12 months, its relatively easy to import as a personal item (i.e. part of your furniture) and you should be able to reduce the taxes etc associated with a purchased car being imported. i'm sure its more paperwork, but well worth it.

it has been said before that its worth contacting places that do certified right hand drive conversions over here before you bring it back, in case they have some sort of objection to doing it to a car that has been privately imported.

i do not know the list of certified converters... someone should be able to fill in this blank for you...

Good luck with the move, and good luck with the conversion!

Tim

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
New member - Strewth...
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 10:40:50 am »
Agree with Tim, nice car but the conversion will incur huge costs and I think is compulsory everywhere with full compliance etc.
Hope you have VERY deep and well stuffed pockets......good luck!

[Edited on 17-8-2010 by IGALOP]
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
New member - Strewth...
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 11:10:42 am »
Contact the nearest Australian Embassy/Consulate for info on importing your car to Oz from wherever you are.

You need an import licence before shipping.

There is a free trade agreement on Made in USA goods. Duty if applicable is only 5% and Goods and Services Tax is 10% on the landed cost.

Regarding compulsory conversion to RHD for permanent imports, suggest you contact Mustang Motorsports in Melbourne to see if they will convert private imports, and a ballpark cost.

If you have the cash to splash then RHD conversion can stack up.  Everyone is in the same boat, and late Mustang used car prices reflect the conversion cost.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
New member - Strewth...
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 02:27:05 pm »
Good luck with it Skip, probably worth the exercise if you love that car & if you already own it (finance etc) The duties on a personal import that you have owned for over 12 months arent that bad from what I have heard. You could always move to Darwin, apparently you can keep them leftys up there:thumb:

Offline Skip

• L Plates
New member - Strewth...
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 09:40:00 pm »
Thanks for the advice re importing. May get the conversion done outside oz if the prices are too high there. Will try to find out how the duties are calculated, ie, on the purchase price currency paid or if the vehicle is valued in australian dollars then taxes applied. Thanks.

Offline Horselover

• Worked
New member - Strewth...
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 05:57:29 pm »
Hi Skip,

Get the conversion done in Oz.  Mustang Motorsport (Melbourne) is the best.  He also certifies the car to meet ADRs for all States.  
Craig also has a perfect moulded RHD dash to fit in 2010 models.  He does a proper engine out conversion.
He changes the lights and everything that needs to be changed to meet all the rules.  
For resale value, get it done here by a reputable dealer.

You get what you pay for, particularly in RHD conversions for modern cars!

Cheers,
Warwick

Offline usa289

• Worked
New member - Strewth...
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 08:38:12 pm »
Quote from: Horselover link=topic=11911.msg126954#msg126954
Hi Skip,

Get the conversion done in Oz.  Mustang Motorsport (Melbourne) is the best.  He also certifies the car to meet ADRs for all States.  
Craig also has a perfect moulded RHD dash to fit in 2010 models.  He does a proper engine out conversion.
He changes the lights and everything that needs to be changed to meet all the rules.  
For resale value, get it done here by a reputable dealer.

You get what you pay for, particularly in RHD conversions for modern cars!

Cheers,
Warwick

Spot on!!! Great advice and I support the recommendation ...
[align=center]
USA289
[/align]

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
New member - Strewth...
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 06:30:40 pm »
Yes, i'd agree...

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
New member - Strewth...
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 07:15:06 pm »
Me three!:thumb:
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline Skip

• L Plates
New member - Strewth...
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 05:16:26 am »
Thanks everyone for the advice. I am talking to Performax? at the moment. I appreciate all your comments, hopefully I can afford to get the work done in Oz. I want to keep the blue oval flag flying.  Thanks once again.  Skip.