York compressor

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: York compressor  (Read 1725 times)

Offline pmb

• Worked
York compressor
« on: August 11, 2010, 11:50:56 pm »
I have just changed the front seal on my york compressor.
The problem is the gasket which seals the plate in place isn't the right shape. I used RTV do you think this will cause a problem?

Offline fangstang

• Thoroughbred
York compressor
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 07:17:14 am »
if your still using the original York you will find that when using 134A gas you will always have problems the compressor does not handle the pressures of 134A it was made for R12 gas which you cant buy anymore.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
York compressor
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:06:55 am »
There is a couple of seal kits some have different number of screws in the front plate you may have got the wrong one. I'd probably make a gasket. you'll need new oil as well. worst case a new york isn't that expensive, less than $300

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
York compressor
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 12:45:52 pm »
Hi Shaun
Where can I get a York compressor for $300 ?
Stormin

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
York compressor
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 01:02:44 pm »
A mate of mine is an auto sparky, not sure who he buys from, but most of this stuff is not expensive, his supplier often has sales, He often gets new Sandens for around $230. He getts them for me, cost. He got me a new Magnetti Marelli alternator for my Disco a couple of months back, best I could do was $600, he got me one for $425. So someone is making money that's for sure, not a bad mark up. When I asked him about a new York for my car, that was the price. I'm going to go with a Sanden though I think. Graham can get a braket kit to mount it on the ford cast mount he reckons. So I'll go that way and save weight ,fuel and HP.

Offline donoauto

• Worked
York compressor
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 05:37:49 pm »
I've never successfully done a front seal on a comp.! I'm not saying I'm the best or anything but all have come back leaking. I've learn't my lesson & always replace with new now. Thats just my experience - don't treat as gospel.
Regards ,

Mark.

Auto-electrician & car A/C guy.

Offline pmb

• Worked
York compressor
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 09:47:01 pm »
I ran around today looking for the correct gasket to find it is discontinued. The last guy I talked to said why don't you make one from gasket paper? Why didn't I think of that? I cut one out installed it. I just tested it and it holds pressure to 120 psi thats the limit of my air compressor anyway.  

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
York compressor
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 07:44:59 am »
Put some PAG oil in it and your away. Make sure you have a hilo switch when running 134a