Radiator

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Radiator  (Read 2911 times)

Offline DV8

• Thoroughbred
Radiator
« on: July 26, 2010, 11:48:14 am »
Where's a good place to buy radiator for '66 with slightly tweaked 302 (maybe 250hp), with aircon and automatic trans?
What are the arguments for aluminium versus conventional?

Cheers,
Mike.

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
Radiator
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 11:57:06 am »
mmmm....OZBILT had a good source in the states. Saw a few at his place that looked the good but i guess we wont be finding out the name of the place :wacko:

EDIT maybe short him a email

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
Radiator
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 12:32:51 pm »
Aluminium cores disapate heat better as you can get more water passages per row as the passages can be much smaller in Aluminium.

Also where the rows are joined to the tanks in a copper radiator the joins are usually lead welded which doesn't transfer heat well at all. In an aluminium radiator the joins are in aluminium.

Was a good article in Mustang Monthly recently about radiatiors.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline jbrucem1

• Worked
Radiator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 12:37:32 pm »
just make sure you buy a good one, a lot of less than great alloy radiators floating around

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
Radiator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 01:12:26 pm »
I run a PWR alloy radiatior in mine, and am happy with it. I would be running a custom made radiator, from Race Radiators, if I was about to spend $900 on a radiator though. I bought mine used.

I will be having some nice alloy 65-66 radiators coming in a few weeks though.

Description :
Features extra large 1" tubes for 4 row efficiency but with 5-7 lbs less weight. We also added a, Scott Drake exclusive, baffle at the top to help evenly distribute the flow of hot water across the upper part of the radiator. The original radiators had a real problem distributing the hot water to the far right side of the radiator. We have tested our design and recorded significant changes in the temperatures across the radiator's cooling tubes. A/T cooler included.

Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline blocko

• Thoroughbred
Radiator
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 07:30:44 pm »
Mike, I read an article some time back (I think it was in the technical forum section) that made comment on the cost & lifetime of alloy radiators compared to the traditional copper model. May be worth tracking down prior to making the choice.
Rob

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
  • Name: "Moe"
Radiator
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 10:30:57 pm »
Quote from: Frank70 link=topic=11596.msg122299#msg122299

Was a good article in Mustang Monthly recently about radiatiors.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_1001_how_to_install_an_aluminum_radiator/index.html