Its a fact of life these days

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Its a fact of life these days  (Read 2388 times)

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« on: February 09, 2007, 01:37:51 pm »
Has anyone else been receiving unwanted SPAM - advertising on their email, in particular Australian decorative coatings...?>  I was recently sent 2 and also listed were a great many other addresses.  

I don't normally publicise my address and have removed it from my profile details.  Has any one else who has had their email listed recently been recieving unwanted SPAM emails, some of which have mustang retail relevance?>    As i'd like to find out how these retailers get email addresses which is unwanted and unlawful.

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 08:21:01 pm »
Yes I tend to get a lot, though nothing of any interest or even remotely connected to mustangs or Fords, and I do frequent a number of car sites.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline peterp

• Administrator
  • Worked
    • http://www.yourithelp.com.au
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 12:44:11 am »
Unfortunately spammers make money.

Anywhere you give out your email address you are at risk.

Even on this forum, don't make your email address public or viewable.

Robots are setup by spammers to specifically harvest email addresses, these lists are then sold to people who use them for spamming.

Its a big business and the spammers make a lot of money out of it, thats why spamming has become such a problem.

Some bussineses use mailing lists to inform their clients about products or new releases unfortunately the lists always fall into the wrong hands.

If you don't want spam, don't have an email address (which is pretty hard to do in this day and age) at least don't give it out, don't subscribe to information services (Just about everyone including banks sell your information for profit)

Peterp
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Offline Ballman

• Pony
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 12:34:37 pm »
I'd also reccomend a thougher scan with multiple anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-malware software, as some of these record which websites you most frequent and send the infomation to various businesses.

The best free anti- virus, anti-pyware and anti-malware software I've found are avvast, AVG, Spybot: Search and Destroy.
One of the best softwares for sale is reasonably cheap and comes with a year subscription.

What peterp said is also a good idea.