Yes you right

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Yes you right  (Read 46694 times)

Offline peterp

• Administrator
  • Worked
    • http://www.yourithelp.com.au
Yes you right
« on: May 17, 2010, 11:20:49 am »
There may be limited commercial advertising positions available and all interested parties should respond to this thread with their expression of interest.

Advertising costs have not been estimated at this point as we are waiting for feedback from all the different state delegates and a decision will be made early in June.

peterp

A few webstats for anyone considering advertising.
The Mustang website

January Unique visitors 11949 Hits 2543576 Bandwidth 9.29
February Unique visitors 10763 Hits 2312477 Bandwidth 9.11
March Unique visitors 11342 Hits 2697114 Bandwidth 10.07
April Unique visitors 11161 Hits 2275234 Bandwidth 8.7
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
Yes you right
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 12:30:59 pm »
I am interested on what packages may be available.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Yes you right
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 06:08:20 pm »
interested on what the packages are also pete

Offline eri67

• Blue Printed
Yes you right
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:06:33 pm »
What has happened to this place, one of the things that has made this forum a great place to frequent, was the availability of lots of different people including the commercial guys, they have helped us out quite often at mates rates or sometimes for free all these guys and girls are getting is a bit of free exposure and trying to build a livelihood for their families, sure there have been a few incidents along the way and a few scammers, one incident that comes to mind that was the original excuse for the removal of some posts and the talk of removing the commercial sellers area, at the time BLKPNY spoke of a rumor of paid advertising, and that was denied from my recollection, what i am trying to put accross is.... I smell a rat, and i think it is greed, not on the part of Peterp et al, but on the part of certain power brokers in Moca, maybe some whose business is not that well represented on this forum.

People who have been a part of this forum as constructive members not just as commercial sellers should be really p!$$ed off. These people have worked really hard to earn our trust, I know that it could be said that commercial advertising is strictly not allowed under the board rules........unless you pay::  

Offline Horselover

• Worked
Yes you right
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 09:08:33 pm »
There is a commercial section of the website where commercial sellers can advertise their products.

How is the advertising to be  done?  If paid advertisers have a link in their bio/avatar to their contact details that would be OK.

I would not like to see half the screen taken up by adverts.  

I visit the forum to talk to other owners and to exchange ideas and experiences with my cars.

The title says it all, Mustang Owners CLUB of Australia.  Clubs are formed for members who share a common interest.  
Club activities are supposed to benefit all of the members of the club who choose to participate.  The forum is a club activity.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers,
Warwick

Offline Rock65

• Worked
Yes you right
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 09:58:19 pm »
What has happened to this forum is that it costs the Mustang Owners club money to keep the forum up and running and is only supported financially by members. Not everyone that users the forum is a member of MOCA hence it may take advertising funds to keep it going.

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
Yes you right
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 10:37:15 pm »
Have to agree with some sentiments above.
When the closure of the commercial area of the forum was first posted I emailed the National delegate and as yet I havnt recieved a reply. Locally though I have been advised to forward my concerns to other delegates. Something I should get on with I guess.
It would be nice for the delegate to look within the forum for some feedback, instead just some funds.
What we had going was a great mix of bussiness and hobby, info was given freely and we had somewhere to chase parts, thanks to all those who participated and sorry to all those who feel the commercial element should pay.
Probably find most are members and pay anyway.  
my 2 bits
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
Yes you right
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 10:39:32 pm »
I have expressed interest to the email specified, twice, with no answer.
I'd love to hear what options there are.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline j1autotech

• Worked
  • MOCA VIC member 1828
  • Name: Justin
Yes you right
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 12:44:12 am »
Originally posted by Rock65
What has happened to this forum is that it costs the Mustang Owners club money to keep the forum up and running and is only supported financially by members. Not everyone that users the forum is a member of MOCA hence it may take advertising funds to keep it going.

Well I guess it would be interesting to see just how much it actually costs to have this forum running p.a. That way, we can sort out whether the advertising rates are an over the top money grab or not...

J1

Offline peterp

• Administrator
  • Worked
Yes you right
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 08:10:53 am »
The proposal for commercial advertising would be as the example below.

CPU was kind enough to make up an image of how the forum might look with the banners.

As you can see there are limited positions available.

Another idea being considered is to halve the banner width at the top and have two banners as below.

peterp
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Offline mikes68

• Worked
    • www.mikes68.blogspot.com
Yes you right
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 08:26:44 am »
Hi Peter,

That top banner looks to be taking up quite a bit of the landscape.

It will be part of the scrollable page I presume and not floating at the top?
Cheers,
Mike

Offline peterp

• Administrator
  • Worked
Yes you right
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 08:41:27 am »
Yes Mike,  on the scrollable page it will be static top and bottom.

Definately not floating and no popups.

peterp

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Yes you right
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 08:50:11 am »
To all those who possibly think this is a money grabbing exercise, it would come down to this......

This forum is avail to anyone, be it they are members of MOCA or not.

Running costs are born by members of MOCA, who, I would have to say, not many spend time here (around 200 forum users per day visit & I would say most are the same people day after day), MOCA would have to be around 2000 members strong Australia wide.

I have not had a business since leaving the US in 2007, but I can say that I do source work from this forum. It was accidental, but the work came from here all the same, most small jobs done "gratis". It is not my intention to make it a business as it would leave me no time for travel or to build my own cars.

That would be the same for many others that saw an opportunity & turned this place into a source of income. Some may be accidental, giving advice, helping others & gained exposure from that.

Some it is blatant free advertising that was always against the forum rules.

I may ruffle a few feathers but that is the way it is. It is only fair that MOCA seek ways of making this an even playing field, IE; continue to ban all free advertising from the signature line/avatar (although still not enforced) & set aside areas where advertising can be purchased.

Yes, if you are thinking this, I was one of the instigators, possibly the one yelling the loudest.

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
Yes you right
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 09:02:30 am »
Will an individual have the facility to "switch off" the banner advertisments? The system can be slow enough without adds flashing on and off. ::
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Yes you right
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 09:08:25 am »
Originally posted by nassi
Will an individual have the facility to "switch off" the banner advertisments? The system can be slow enough without adds flashing on and off. ::

I would like to think that it would be static. That would be my guess.

Edit; peterp has said that above.

Offline muzz67

• Worked
  • Account Suspended By Owners Request
Yes you right
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 01:03:17 pm »
Very interesting reading,

A dollars worth this time, if it is a funding  issue then I am happy to pay to keep advertiser's away. Let's be real the majority on here only push their own barrow in the guise of assistance, just read a few of the posts always followed by 'I have that in Stock" or "I can get that" not honestly what I believe a forum is about.

Mind you guys like Ozbilt who wear there hearts on their sleeves tend to 'give away' to much in my opinion, but hey I am probably jealous because I am afraid to 'pay it forward' as much as he does.

As for doing it better, well I am really happy with Peter P and his cronies efforts especially seeing they don't earn a Sheep Station for their efforts.

If someone wants to advertise commercially, there are many many Club Magazines, Mustang Magazines and Mailing lists available.

Lets keep the ads Private and the assistance heartfelt and genuine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that was worth my buck !!

Lance.

Offline tim_morrison82

• Blue Printed
    • http://s806.photobucket.com/home/tim_morrison82/allalbums
Yes you right
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 01:44:30 pm »
May i suggest a voluntary donation button for any one that wants to donate a few bob to MOCA for the valuable forum advice they have recieved forum members.

the advice on here is priceless and i am sure that a few of the guys on the recieving end of advice would be happy to throw some spare cash saved from their resto, or whatever, back into the forum.

i do think that there should be a Links section seperate from the forum for paid commercials. keep it simple and keep it seperate, with maybe an advert for the Links page with small res logo's of some companies on it, to say "click here for affiliated businesses" or something similar... this can be paid advertising, but not poping up on the forum everyday, which is what brought the issue to a head in the first place.

does that more sound reasonable than posting banners everywhere? i'd also put additional option in the packages to advertise in state mags (if all states were happy to do so) to boost funding not only to the site and MOCA as an entity, but also flow it on directly to the individual state clubs.

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
  • A hearse has no tow ball !
Yes you right
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 02:09:31 pm »
Comment removed out of respect for Hybrid’s feeling  - but see my next reply to this because this is bloody crap - nothing in his comments was offensive ..if others think so then they need to stop being so one eyed !!

Yes I agree with your previous comments anyway .......Hybrid

Quote: “there is no reason that you have to limit the advertisers. There are systems available that share the space around each time a page is loaded”

If the platform of the forum can’t support such a set up then get a new platform and get the advertisers to cover the cost…. Otherwise from what has been poorly explained, only three or four advertisers will benefit and those that miss out won’t feel the need to participate in the forum any longer.

Man this is why some people don’t want to join clubs … stupid bloody politics.

Guy’s I don’t have a business that would benefit from advertising here, so I don’t care so much about a missed opportunity in that regard, but I do care about the end result for the forum and what it offers to the users otherwise why bother with it at all!!

With this in mind, I therefore think those like myself are being forgotten in this crap and clearly don’t really get to have much of a say , but in all logic should speak out about how the forum should look otherwise they will just leave…maybe there are some that may want that, I don’t know!!

But it just seems to me, the club wants to gain some money for advertising - which I don’t have a problem with but at what true cost!!

Peter, if it has not been done before why not come clean and state exactly how many advertising spots are available to be filled and who has dibs on them so far…..and the reasons why …..or is that not anyone’s business!!

If  the club does not take the concerns by the non advertiser users of this forum seriously then. I feel the forum will eventually die off so there has to be some middle ground in this which is understandable.

I also don’t think the reasons and the way the club has gone about this has "NOT"been explained to the users of the forum properly.

I do not want to come off all high and mighty and upset people about this, but there does seem to be a note of arrogance in the manner this is being rolled out without any consultation with the users of the forum – understanding we don’t own it ….but without us, it’s nothing anyway.

As I’ve said in the past why not charge a small membership fee to the users of the forum..

Tell me where to send my fee and I’ll be the first to pony up…..mind you if you do this,  then I and other users will be wanting more of a say in the way this is handled

Offline tim_morrison82

• Blue Printed
    • http://s806.photobucket.com/home/tim_morrison82/allalbums
Yes you right
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 02:30:02 pm »
Originally posted by tim_morrison82
May i suggest a voluntary donation button for any one that wants to donate a few bob to MOCA for the valuable forum advice they have recieved forum members.

the advice on here is priceless and i am sure that a few of the guys on the recieving end of advice would be happy to throw some spare cash saved from their resto, or whatever, back into the forum.

i do think that there should be a Links section seperate from the forum for paid commercials. keep it simple and keep it seperate, with maybe an advert for the Links page with small res logo's of some companies on it, to say "click here for affiliated businesses" or something similar... this can be paid advertising, but not poping up on the forum everyday, which is what brought the issue to a head in the first place.

does that more sound reasonable than posting banners everywhere? i'd also put additional option in the packages to advertise in state mags (if all states were happy to do so) to boost funding not only to the site and MOCA as an entity, but also flow it on directly to the individual state clubs.

the suggestion of a donation button is more for those forum guys that don't want to pay a "club" membership, but find this place worth its weight in gold. i intended to add that, but somehow while rewording it, it got deleted and i forgot to put it back in...

Cheers!

Offline srh

• Thoroughbred
Yes you right
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 02:53:58 pm »
I thought MOCA and similar clubs were supposed to be non-profit organizations? with 600 + members paying $50 each per year the NSW branch normally has $50-$60k in the bank so dont exactly think we are short of funds to pay for the website.
As Hybrid stated if the funds raised benefit the club members all well and good,I would think its fair for businesses to pay something towards advertising on here, i dont really like the idea of banners though...

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Yes you right
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 03:12:00 pm »
Once again guys,

Get involved at your local level. National delegates as a rule, do not come on the forum often & therefore would not be acting with all the information.

Remember that all the delegates are volunteers so give them the break they deserve.

Think of this, the delegates meet for a day discussing many items on the agenda. One of those would be this topic. Time spent thinking about it before the meeting, probably a few minutes to nothing. Time spent discussing at the meeting, maybe 30 mis if you are lucky as they will only go on the info that has been presented to them.

How many of you have stood up at a meeting & voiced your opinion? How many have written to voice an opinion? Probably very few. You cannot expect to get a result you are after if you have no input.

Do not expect it to be read here, most of the delegates are way too busy with their work or business to have the time to lurk here.

This has all come about because a minority have flouted the rule of "no commercial advertising allowed". No advertising of any kind was ever allowed on the forum.

All the association is trying to do is come to a compromise, rather than just be heavy handed & banning those that may have over stepped the line.

That compromise will only come about if the name calling & innuendo stops.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Yes you right
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 03:42:51 pm »
Originally posted by T-CODE KID
""""Do not expect it to be read here, most of the delegates are way too busy with their work or business to have the time to lurk here."""

we are talking about this here  forum .

if they are too busy to bother with this here forum either they not doing their delegate job 100% or couldnt care
& if they dont care shouldnt literally involve them.
BTW wheres the "name calling"  ????/

If they are not doing the job, then I suggest that you step up & volunteer your time. I am sure the association will be only too happy to accept your nomination.

That is said with all sincerity, I know that most of the board members are doing the job because no one else volunteers their time.

Yes for some it is a passion, but remember this forum is only a small part of MOCA, it may be our life, but not necessarily theirs.

Offline muzz67

• Worked
  • Account Suspended By Owners Request
Yes you right
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 03:47:22 pm »
Hmm, your passion is admirable T-Code but maybe a little out of line with that reply, unless guilty by association of course.

In any organisation or good size business the leaders delegate the work and process to those more capable at individual tasks than them.

No different here, the Delegates rely on people like the administrators (Peter P) to keep them informed of what the members are saying, doing. feeling and then act on it.

I would be concerned if the Major delegates of my club were paddling around in the pond instead of doing their job, NSW is in great shape and control from the side of the fence I am on.

And in past posts on this subject there has been some bone pointing, so may Kerry is right , deep breath time.......

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
  • A hearse has no tow ball !
Yes you right
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 04:19:39 pm »
Originally posted by hybrid
Kerry, not sure the club would appreciate a stranger coming in and telling them all how they should run their website :+
Can't make it tomorrow night, but maybe the next one that's nearby.

To all the guys complaining about banners.. read my previous post. You do have choice!
I don't think its fair (on MOCA or the enthusiasts who also run a business) to rule it out completely. Some people will genuinely want to see vendors relevant to their cause, and those who don't can block the banners.

Kerry,

Please understand, no disrespect intended here,

But if the various state committee DELIGATES cant be bothered jumping online and gauging what the sentiment about this issue is on the forum itself, then attending a meeting in the flesh is not going to cut it either.

Further more in my view , MOCA is missing an opportunity here for a membership drive buy not considering a Forum membership …I guess membership of a club means different things to different people but think it’s worth consideration?

Bottom line is l think everyone is sensing this decision….weather it be good or bad is going through one way or another...

The other point which someone else made, which l think is very relevant is why cancel the old format of commercial advertising before the new one is ready to roll out at the same time.

Sounds very blunderish in my book!!

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Yes you right
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 04:44:00 pm »
Grumpy One

The "old format" you talk about was actually was a stop gap & the first attempt to reach a compromise that did not work. It only occurred over the last 6 months if that.

Posting with advertising in the signature/avatar continued (& still does) in other threads, so it did not confine it, rendering those "stop gap" threads useless. The compromise to an absolute ban on advertising that has always been in place, but never needing regulating until the last 18 months or so, is to allow paid banner advertising & no other.

It is that simple.

It is not a case of "bothering" to get on the forum for the delegates, their reasoning for becoming delegates could be for any area of the Mustang hobby that they have a passion for.

My son Sean is a National Delegate, he is also the current VP of NSW MOCA, he also took his ad off his signature when it was bought to his attention that it was against the rules. I know he just does not get the time of day to be on the forum, if it is something I want him to look at, I send him the link. Maybe that is what all of you should be doing, sending your delegates the links to this & other discussions on the subject.

Any issues I have, are sent through the forum administrators or spoken at the monthly meetings as I need to be going through the correct channels.

I believe that if I have something to say, I do not rely on others to say it.