1966 Mustang Stop/Indicator Lights - NSW Rego

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1966 Mustang Stop/Indicator Lights - NSW Rego  (Read 13325 times)

Offline 66 GT LANE

• Stallion
« on: May 24, 2010, 12:45:42 pm »
Hey Guys,

OK this has probably been done before, but I did do a search and cant find what I'm looking for.

So hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction.

Alright.........took the 66 Mustang down for a Blue Slip........only to discover that the original setup with the 'flashing' brake light acting as the indicator is NO GO in NSW........all because they share the same 'bulb filament'.

The fact that the indicator is red in OK......but it's this other issue that has caught me by surprise.

So I was wondering what you other NSW guys have done to get around this issue. I really don't want to modify this car....but if I have to I want to do it as little as possible.

Thanks in advance
Glenn

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 01:04:02 pm »
Easy fix. first get a circuit diagram. Basically what you do is swap the postion of the brake light switch, and reverse light switch up under the dash. Then in the boot, swap the rev light wires up to the brake lights and the brake lights down to the Rev lights. You then get rev/idcators in the bottom and stop and tail in the top. So you are just swaping the 2 circuits front and rear. You can then fit amber bulbs or amber lenns in the rev lights.

Offline Spooky

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 01:17:56 pm »
Quote from: 66 GT LANE link=topic=10676.msg109985#msg109985
Hey Guys,

OK this has probably been done before, but I did do a search and cant find what I'm looking for.

So hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction.

Alright.........took the 66 Mustang down for a Blue Slip........only to discover that the original setup with the 'flashing' brake light acting as the indicator is NO GO in NSW........all because they share the same 'bulb filament'.

The fact that the indicator is red in OK......but it's this other issue that has caught me by surprise.

So I was wondering what you other NSW guys have done to get around this issue. I really don't want to modify this car....but if I have to I want to do it as little as possible.

Thanks in advance
Glenn

Glenn,

My advice is to get someone else to do the blueslip. This person is wrong. I confirmed with the RTA technical services that it would be fine.
U2U me if you want details of who did my Blue slip. In 25 minutes I got my blue slip, green slip & weighbridge certificate!

Kerry
[align=center]
[/align]

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 04:24:33 pm »
Quote from: shaunp link=topic=10676.msg109989#msg109989
Easy fix. first get a circuit diagram. Basically what you do is swap the postion of the brake light switch, and reverse light switch up under the dash. Then in the boot, swap the rev light wires up to the brake lights and the brake lights down to the Rev lights. You then get rev/idcators in the bottom and stop and tail in the top. So you are just swaping the 2 circuits front and rear. You can then fit amber bulbs or amber lenns in the rev lights.

Shaun, your description is how mine was done too.

Glenn,

You could also buy one of those new rear light set ups that have an amber outside (third) light panel in the brake cluster and have two red brake lights and a separate amber turn indicator, without all the re-wiring..

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee

Offline scedd

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 04:43:26 pm »
i know i would rather have mine safer (for me!) than correct.
If the clown behind you is looking at your funny red brake lights blinking and hasnt twigged that they are now indicators, you know who pays the price when he passes you as you turn.
Frankenstang has the reverse lights converted to indicators with amber lenses and a small aftermarket reverse light added.
Makes me feel much more secure

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 05:29:55 pm »
Quote from: Bumblebee link=topic=10676.msg110016#msg110016
Quote from: shaunp link=topic=10676.msg109989#msg109989

Shaun, your description is how mine was done too.

Glenn,

You could also buy one of those new rear light set ups that have an amber outside (third) light panel in the brake cluster and have two red brake lights and a separate amber turn indicator, without all the re-wiring..

Cheers Bee

It's a no brainer Bee, as soon as you look at the circuit it's pretty easy to work it out, cost you stuff all to do as well, you can do it yourself, and the car looks stock, ie 3 red lights.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 05:32:14 pm »
Quote from: scedd link=topic=10676.msg110020#msg110020
i know i would rather have mine safer (for me!) than correct.
If the clown behind you is looking at your funny red brake lights blinking and hasnt twigged that they are now indicators, you know who pays the price when he passes you as you turn.
Frankenstang has the reverse lights converted to indicators with amber lenses and a small aftermarket reverse light added.
Makes me feel much more secure

You dont need to add another light, if you do it's not done correctly, the reversing lights stay reverse lights, but become indicators as well just like on 70's holden and falcons.

Offline pmb

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 07:53:44 pm »
To be a bit different I used the a orange bulb with a clear lenses in the reversing lights. Looks great.  Note you can't buy a orange bulb with the correct pin orientation to fit the reversing light. So I made my own out of a orange bulb and brake bulb. The amber lenses need looked right to me.

Offline pbapam

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 10:23:24 pm »
66 GT lane,

I got myself a set of the led rear tail lights with amber indicators from AutoCables for around $250. Not original for my 66, but much safer (hell it didn't have seatbelts either - and that didn't stop me putting them in!)

http://www.mustangproject.com/Catalog.aspx?category=68642387-6653-4218-935e-89619ca5f35a&sub=f238e982-267e-40ef-96d5-47cd6aad2b01

don't worry about the stupid looking sequential lighting, the ones here for sale in Australia are not sequential.  Mustang Project supply them. I think they have an office here in Victoria.  Took half an hour to install and are safe.

Offline 6T9rustang

• Worked

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 12:23:54 pm »
Glen, as Spooky says, you do not have to do anything. The way your car is now is totally legal. As he says, check with the RTA technical Dept. if still unsure.

BTW, I have never had an issue with anyone not knowing which way I was turning (in both countries I drive early Mustangs) when using the brake/flasher setup.

Was more dangerous in the US when driving our RHD Mach1 with the flashers in the reversing lights. OK of a night, lousy of a day.

Offline bridgo65

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 01:38:42 pm »
Yep agree with Kerry and Spooky.  I had no trouble getting Blue slip with original lights - just needed a new flaher unit and all was ok.;*

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 02:33:45 pm »
LO2 in QLD allows red now as well, but RHD has to be amber.

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 11:21:50 pm »
Had no trouble in with first rego QLD with flashing red indicators, but after a few near miss rear enders I put it down to the general public didn't reckonise a flashing red as a turning indicator so I did the Shaun Mod and made the reverse lights share with the indicators and amber globes. Not the best for reversing but heh.. not a big setback. This cross over all happens in a clever cct in the Mustang indicators switch on the steering colum. You just swap the reverse light and the brake light cct going through the that switch. It works well.
He, with the most toys wins.

Offline PNY65

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 11:33:29 pm »
Quote from: 6T9rustang link=topic=10676.msg110248#msg110248
Another LED option:   http://mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7298#pid62710

With rustang's help I fitted these baby's to my 65, nice and bright, easy to see, and pretty easy to DIY (especially with rustang on the phone to lend a stranger assistance) ;+

Offline 66 GT LANE

• Stallion
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 12:28:06 pm »
Hey Guys,

Many thanks for the replies. I can see where the majority of you are heading with the swap, and without getting out the schematics it makes sense!

But I have got some good news. Not long after my original post I placed a call to the RTA to query it, and the guy told me it was OK. So I then called the blue slip guy and told him of my findings........he is still adament that the brake light and the indicator light cannot be one of the same "bulb filament". Anyway I pass on the RTA guys name and ask him to make contact.

Well anyway after a day of back and forth between blue slip guy and RTA guy, it has truned out that the original setup is OK. Apparently the RTA guys took a vote and it went in my favour 4 to 2.........it's a grey area, because simply the legislation does not say that it cannot be this way.

So HAPPY DAYS, it's good to go as is!!!

Thanks again guys
Glenn

Offline 66 GT LANE

• Stallion
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 11:56:13 am »
Totally agree T-code, IMHO, it's all part of the Mustang experience....

Offline 72mac1

• Stallion
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 12:30:57 pm »
Mine passed yesterday with stock RED on the rear, that was the least of the issues (NSW)

Offline PNY65

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 03:16:05 pm »
Quote from: 66 GT LANE link=topic=10676.msg110751#msg110751
Totally agree T-code, IMHO, it's all part of the Mustang experience....

The fear of being rear ended because motorists don't know what a flashing red light means, is part of the experience I can do without.
I got mine over the pits with Red's and installed the LED's asap.

Offline Nice66

• L Plates
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 01:33:14 pm »
Hi Guys as per Shaunp comments can I please get confirmation on exactly where to make the swap? cut wires etc...

Do you swap the break light switch with the reverse light switch? Other posts state to alter the indicator switch on the steering column?

Cheers David:cry:

Offline Moz

• Blue Printed
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 02:17:42 pm »
I just posted these on another thread  :thumb:

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
  • Name: griff
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 10:08:48 pm »
Nice66
u2u instructions sent
when a 3 month engine rebuild turns into 3 year bare metal resto.
you get that .....

Offline jaythefordman

• Worked
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 01:16:23 pm »
WA its fine to keep as it came from US, and I have kept it so.  No problems either from other motorists.

I mean seriously, you have to be a bit of a retard not to realise flashing light = indicator.

I do however tend to give plenty of time to allow for those less quick than others

Offline Nice66

• L Plates
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 11:34:25 am »
Hi All,

Just though I'd clear this up for anyone wanting to do this mod

Shaunp's post is the correct process however for someone like me with no electrical knowledge left a few questions so here goes...

Correct process is as follows:

1. Locate the reverse wires as they come through the firewall under tha dash. If your car is like mine the two reverse wires are taped together and come through the fire wall high up in line with the break peddal. They should be black with a red stripe.

2. Cut these wires leaving enough play to re-attach new wires. Take the ends that continue into the dash board and connect them to the break switch located on the break peddal.

3. Then take the wires originally connected to the break switch and connect these to the reverse wires sticking out of the fire wall.

As Shaunp states in his post we have now swapped the reverse light switch with the break light switch. If your curious and want to check you should now have reverse, indicators and park lights all working the top cct (original break lights) and when you put your foot on the breaks your original reverse lights should come on.

4. At this point we need to do some rewiring in the boot... some trial and error may be needed. Basically you need to swap indicator and reverse wires to the bottom globes and break light and parker to the break lights. After some playing around you should get reverse and indicators in the bottom (original reverse lights) and break lights and parkers in the top (as per usual).

Cheers David

Offline Pezza

• Pony
  • MOCA NSW Member
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 10:09:22 pm »
Hi guys,
Sorry to hijack, is along these subject lines. New to the scene and about to pick up a 65 vert, though with no back up lights. Can I do the swap up under the dash thing also? If yes, I would imagine that I would need to install new back up lights????

Pezza