Assistance needed buying from the States

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Assistance needed buying from the States  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
  • Car: 1966 coupe & 1969 Mach 1
« on: February 01, 2007, 10:09:07 pm »
Hi Guys

Was after some guidance or assistance in buying a 65-66 fastback from the States.  I have located a couple that i am very interested in but need to have them checked out so i don't end up with a dud.

One is located in Trussville, Alabama & the other is in Des Moine, Iowa.

Anyone know of someone who can give a good honest appraisal at a decent price.  The cars both look beautiful with shiny paint, but i just want to make sure their is no rust and the floor & frame rails are good.  Also need to know that they actually run and aren't going to provide many nasty surprises.

Any assistance appreciated.

Cheers

Gary

Offline mistermustang

• Worked
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 01:04:17 am »
Trussville Alabama - small world - not from BillsClassicCars.com by any chance is it?
BrianE :o

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 04:48:28 am »
Certainly is from Bill's.   Are they honest &  reputable.

Offline mistermustang

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 08:27:52 am »
I bought one of my 66 K-codes from Bill.  Good guy at heart, talks a LOT.  here are the pro's and con's:

Pro's - bought a great, low mileage original car.  it presented well when i got it, wasn't misrepresented.
Con's - the car had a few issues that Bill failed to mention like the fact that the motor needed a SERIOUS tune, second gear popped out and there was some floor rust that required attention.

if i had to do it again i would;  there are a LOT worse than Bill.  and i love my K-convertible.

Offline mistermustang

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 08:33:38 am »
i assume you're looking at buying the 65 fastback? seems like a reasonable deal.  ensure that the car has ZERO rust.  ask for undercarriage (footwell) photos as well as photos of the front lower doors.

also ensure the car is a FACTORY GT.  ask for photos of the rear frame-rails where the exhaust attaches, the floor area under the rear seat, and photos of the disk brakes.

hope this helps.

BrianE. :o

ps if you want a great factory GT (convertible) i'll be selling a bare-metal restored springtime yellow/black pony, 4-speed, A-code, heavily optioned car in about a month.

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 06:54:30 pm »
Thanks mistermustang, i really appreciate your advice.