Yes the MAC is a nice machine

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Yes the MAC is a nice machine  (Read 3668 times)

Offline peterp

• Administrator
  • Worked
    • http://www.yourithelp.com.au
« on: January 24, 2007, 07:37:06 pm »
What a piece of rubbish. ;]
I installed my 1st Vista machine last night for a customer and it was a nightmare.
Core 2 Duo 6400 on a gigabyte motherboard running Nvidia 256 megabyte Video card with 1 gigabyte of DDR2 ram.

Be warned, even under a 32 bit installation you can not use old versions of office they simply won't install, you are expected to fork out more money for the new Office 2007.
Added to this, the installation of AVG anti virus brought up errors on boot.

Forget installing Nero, its incompatible as was all the motherboard drivers supplied with the brand new Gigabyte Motherboard.

I'm also told that hardly any old programs will work with Vista and that includes Photoshop CS2.

And to top it all off Microsoft has jacked up the price of the old XP series to try to force everyone into buying Vista. ::

Looks like I'll be selling Macs for while. :_:_
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 08:52:42 pm »
Was thinking while reading this post.....

then read your last sentence.

I decided late last year that when i replace mums computer it will be with a MAC...if my pc wasn't so new, i'd happily have bought a MAC

whether the mac will run everything i want it to is another question...as for mums usage, a mac will be fine....even my XP net-work doesn't!  

stuff the pc's and STUFF MS!!

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 05:20:02 pm »
There is a try out page which allows you to get a feel of how it works.  A bit like looking at a mustang on the showroom floor........NOT..

Offline peterp

• Administrator
  • Worked
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 10:24:24 am »
This list is compiled privately so no guarantees are given. ::
It May or may not work according to the hardware you are running. :(
http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_Software_Compatibility_List
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Offline victorypark

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 04:31:46 pm »
Thanks for the warning Pete......:-)

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 09:29:11 pm »
who cares really...

after many years using MS and PC's i have gotten sick of the trojan's, cookies etc etc

I buying a MAC next!

in the meantime XP is struggling along as usual.

Jas

Offline ppmurf

• Stallion
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 09:11:58 pm »
Thats why I've been a mac person - and why many more are joining the mac family! ppmurf

Offline peterp

• Administrator
  • Worked
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 06:04:38 pm »
I started out with an Apple years ago, I've forgotten the year, about 25 years ago, it was called an Apple Lisa.
Apple definately invented the GUI and were the 1st to implement it, ie: desktop, mouse, trash can etc.

I used to setup Doctors to use MAC Plus some years later so that they could implement patient billing and keep records electronically.

The last 12 years I've been involved with PC's builing them, servicing them and selling them and to a larger extent using them for graphic design.

Recently one of my customers bought a MAC laptop and asked me to setup his hardware, scanner, printer and to show him the variations in the software. I must admit it brought back some fond memories of ease of use.

It's a pity that 25 years ago Apple didn't allow cloning as the PC did otherwise we would be seeing a lot more MACS today and they would be cheaper, more users better pricing.

These days I run a dual XEON PC with a Raptor Hard drive with 2 Gigabyte of ram but with a possible upgrade coming up i might give the MAC a second look, bearing in mind that the XEON processors might be going quad core, that might be hard to resist.

Gee its tough being a nerd. ::

Offline ppmurf

• Stallion
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 09:30:30 pm »
I am a mac man man - but the minute they intel chipped it most of the graphic programs didnt run properly - so i aint gunna run it seems like vista is worse - ppmurf