Mach 1 here at last!

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Mach 1 here at last!  (Read 7186 times)

Offline Pedro

• Worked
  • Name: Peter
Mach 1 here at last!
« on: April 24, 2010, 08:03:15 am »
After having paid for it last December and putting up with delay after delay, my '70 Mach 1 M code has finally arrived.

The shipper had given it a light coat of Vaseline, but it washed off easily using commercial car wash detergent.
The Californians reckon that this stops humidity bubbles but every auto painter I've spoken to says that's b/s.

There was light mould on the interior surfaces, but this was easy to remove with a damp cloth. There is also mould and some mild surface rust on a few items under the bonnet but I'll attend to that after its complied and back home in my garage.

It has MSD ignition and started first turn of the key, so I strapped on a Trade Plate and took it for a drive for half an hour and it performed faultlessly.

I must say that jumping out of an FG F6 and driving a forty years old car was a bit of a shock to the system but I've finally realised my dream to own one of the beautiful classics.

AND THE CLOCK WORKS!!

In the workshop, cleaned and waiting for LO 2 compliance.

Offline austin71

• Thoroughbred
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 08:05:40 am »
Nice car mate :)

Greg

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 08:05:44 am »
Looks real nice Pedro, congrats and enjoy. You will be the envy of all your friends now!;z
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline dalex

• Worked
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 09:03:07 am »
That is one fine ride, have an awesome time

Offline mikes68

• Worked
    • www.mikes68.blogspot.com
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 09:53:02 am »
Very nice Pedro... get some more photos up for everyone to enjoy:(:(
Cheers,
Mike

Offline my 390

• Worked
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 04:41:28 pm »
Nice car, great color AND the clock works?? What a beauty

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 05:50:15 pm »
Pedro...very nice..    

Offline Thirsty428

• Blue Printed
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 06:02:34 pm »
Always been a big fan of Mac 1's.

And what a fine example :(

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
  • A hearse has no tow ball !
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 07:42:54 pm »
Very nice Pedro….I like the colour too

I was only talking to a buddy the other day about an older thread on this site. Not sure who wrote it but man it was funny…it was referring to covering the car with Vaseline when being shipped. But kinda did make sense to me, so …go the vas!!

Naturally, we both saw the funny side to this and laughed our Ar5e off whilst discussing it and just having the mental picture that was also previously pointed out in the earlier thread, that was, of some poor sap pushing a shopping trolley loaded up with tubs and more tubs of Vaso,  then having to go through the checkout with some young gorgeously stunning chick on the checkout!! ..Was priceless.

What a crack up!! :+:+:+

We both came to the same conclusion... The poor sap would be smiling from ear to ear though, knowing he was master of his mission… but only he really knew what that would really be!!

Enjoy your ride Pedro :(

Offline TimR67

• Worked
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 07:47:44 pm »
Very nice.

Offline Pedro

• Worked
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 10:37:41 pm »
Originally posted by mikes68
Very nice Pedro... get some more photos up for everyone to enjoy:(:(

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
I have posted some pics up previously Mike, but at the risk of boring some people, I'll put up a couple more.

You will notice some colour variations ... this is caused by the way Chestnut Metallic reacts to different light situations.

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 09:30:06 am »
congrats on getting her landed, is it everything you expected or had you seen her before? any surprises?

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
  • Car: 1966 coupe & 1969 Mach 1
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 09:40:22 am »
Sweet ride Pedro.  Haven't seen that colour combo before - very nice.  

Offline MustangNut

• Blue Printed
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 09:46:23 am »
What a great colour combo!!:f

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 09:48:37 am »
Hey Pedro...................It's time to saddle up my friend

Good Luck, Enjoy:a :a
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline D0ZX

• Worked
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 01:39:24 pm »
Good to hear you are happy with it Pedro. Rare colour, chestnut metallic on a Mach 1. The working clock is a bonus!

Offline ChilliChadd

• Worked
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 02:07:56 pm »
Congrats on a very nice car, and the colour looks great:f

6R07C*** Body-65A, Hardtop, standard interior, Colour-4, Silver Frost metallic, Trim-26, Black Crinkle Vinyl and Black Rosette Vinyl.
Date-03B, February 3rd ( same as the misus) D.S.O-72, San Jose Axle-F 2.80:1, Limited Slip

Offline A67PNY

• Worked
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 03:36:45 pm »
 [/quote]

, but at the risk of boring some people, I'll put up a couple more.

[/quote]

Mate how could you bore anybody with pics like that.
Well done  fantastic looking Mach1.
And keep the pics coming..........:(

Offline Pedro

• Worked
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 07:25:41 pm »
^^^^^
I tell you what .... here's an advertisement I found that's still on Steve Forristall's website. He has a high end classic Mustang sales outlet in Houston Texas and did a lot of racing over the years. He was the owner of that Shelby Daytona coupe that sold a few months ago at Mecum Auctions for over $7 million.
Hope you enjoy the the pics.

By the way I didn't buy the car from Steve.

There lots of pics here ... http://www.forristalls.com/1970%20Chestnut%20Metallic/1970_mach_one_chestnut_metallic.html

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 09:58:04 pm »
Originally posted by Pedro
^^^^^
I tell you what .... here's an advertisement I found that's still on Steve Forristall's website. He has a high end classic Mustang sales outlet in Houston Texas and did a lot of racing over the years. He was the owner of that Shelby Daytona coupe that sold a few months ago at Mecum Auctions for over $7 million.
Hope you enjoy the the pics.

By the way I didn't buy the car from Steve.

There lots of pics here ... http://www.forristalls.com/1970%20Chestnut%20Metallic/1970_mach_one_chestnut_metallic.html

Pedro I've bought two cars from Steve (Mach 1 and Shelby), a great bloke, great cars. I know of another Aussie who has just bought a very nice Boss 302 from him, I was happy to help out where I could.

Alas, Steve didn't own the Daytona when it it went for auction recently. Having spoken with him  I think  he's pragmatic about the car, but I'm sure he wishes he hung onto it! Who could predict the outrageous level it reached?

The man really does have a passion for Mustangs and Shelbys and is a pleasure to deal with. If anyone is contemplating dealing with him, feel free to U2U me.
Rick

Offline Pedro

• Worked
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 12:19:55 pm »
Yeah Rick, I realised after I'd put up the post that he didn't own that Daytona. He had owned one and wished he'd hung onto it after that astounding sale at Mecum.

My Mach 1 came with a lot of documented history but there are few gaps. I've been in contact with Steve and will be talking to him tomorrow at 6.00am (3.00pm Monday Houston time) and he's going to tell me as much as he knows about the history of my car.

Amongst other things the documents show that the engine was rebuilt, balanced and blue printed in 2001 by Joe Halliday at Holman Moody.
The guy I bought it off in Cal said he'd only used it since the rebuild for shows and cruises and I can believe it. When I checked the engine oil, the the film on the dipstick was as clean as a whistle.

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 03:13:58 pm »
Sounds like a great pickup there Peter. That will be an awesome motor and to get almost a complete history (once you've filled in the gaps) is a huge bonus. I hope the good Texan can help, tell him I said g'day.
Rick

Offline Pedro

• Worked
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 08:44:08 am »
I spoke with Steve Forristall this morning Rick and passed on your regards. He said to say hi.

He couldn't give me any further information regarding history, but the best thing to come out of the conversation is that after the three year restoration was finished in 2001, the owner entered my Mach in the annual Houston National Mustang Show in 2002 and won GOLD in the "Driven Concours" class.
Unfortunately when the owner sold the car to Steve, he kept the trophy for his mantelpiece.... Damn!!!

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 01:15:37 pm »

Unfortunately when the owner sold the car to Steve, he kept the trophy for his mantelpiece.... Damn!!!

How rude!
Rick

Offline Pedro

• Worked
Mach 1 here at last!
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 07:50:00 pm »
Well, I was finally able to pick her up Friday. Then to the registry to get full Qld rego and on home. By the way 351 NAG was the best I could do at the PPQ site.
On the way I got caught in one of the worst Friday afternoon traffic jams for over an hour of stop-start in hot weather. I anxiously watched the temperature gauge as it started going up from a third, slowly passed half way but thankfully stopped at two thirds. At least that proved she's not a boiler.

Showed a few mates Saturday and spent today checking things over including raising the carpets to check the floors … but they’re perfect. So now she’s tucked away for the night and I’m looking forward to happy cruising.