Route 66 tour

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Route 66 tour  (Read 12891 times)

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
Route 66 tour
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 01:05:55 pm »
Here's episode 1 of the Route 66 special.

Route 66 ep. 1

s

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
Route 66 tour
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2011, 06:12:26 pm »
I'm going over in April with the family. We are not doing the tour but we are over on the same dates as the April 15 tour. When we get to Las Vegas we will be hiring a car and doing the leg from there through Kingman and Williams to the Grand Canyon and return. Unfortunately as there will be 4 of us we won't be hiring a Mustang so we will be doing the journey in a Dodge Charger or similar. Can't wait for this part of the holiday.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
Route 66 tour
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011, 11:28:16 pm »
If you're in Vegas and feel like a burst of muscle you can do a few laps in a 600 h.p. Nascar, it will set you back a few hundred bucks.

http://www.drivepetty.com/race-tracks/las-vegas-motor-speedway

s

Offline 66Scotty

• Thoroughbred
Route 66 tour
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2011, 12:00:01 am »
Quote from: StephenSLR link=topic=10226.msg143458#msg143458
If you're in Vegas and feel like a burst of muscle you can do a few laps in a 600 h.p. Nascar, it will set you back a few hundred bucks.

s

Wow. I just found this on youtube. Doing laps with David Petty.

This is now on my bucket list.........
Fuel......., On I Burn,
Fuel is pumping engines,
Burning hard, loose & clean

And I burn,
Churning my direction,
Quench my thirst with Gasoline..

(Metallica).....(Fuel).

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
Route 66 tour
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 11:00:28 pm »
Quote from: StephenSLR link=topic=10226.msg143458#msg143458

s

Just checked this out. Looks sensational. Do you know how long the wait is, seems to be quite a few waiting in the video.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
Route 66 tour
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 11:13:09 pm »
Quote from: mwizz link=topic=10226.msg143534#msg143534
Do you know how long the wait is, seems to be quite a few waiting in the video.

It all depends on who has signed up for the day, I haven't seen the video but from memory we got there in the afternoon and were there for a few hours.  

All the courses from Rookie up you do solo in the car while following a lead car, so we had to suit up, went through an induction on how to drive and how to read the lead car's signals to speed up or slow down.

It was a weekday, I think it was our group and only a few others.  There's probably 2 or three drivers at a time following their own pace car.  It all depends on how many laps everyone is doing and how many people turn up on the day.

I'm pretty sure those going as passengers get to go first.

s

Offline Pinto Pete

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Nigel
Route 66 tour
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 12:54:27 am »
Had planned on doing the petty experience at daytona while I was there but lucky me they were resurfacing the track so had to make do with the tour and simulator
It is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Offline Pinto Pete

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Nigel
Route 66 tour
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 01:20:12 am »
Quote from: mwizz link=topic=10226.msg143426#msg143426
I'm going over in April with the family. We are not doing the tour but we are over on the same dates as the April 15 tour. When we get to Las Vegas we will be hiring a car and doing the leg from there through Kingman and Williams to the Grand Canyon and return. Unfortunately as there will be 4 of us we won't be hiring a Mustang so we will be doing the journey in a Dodge Charger or similar. Can't wait for this part of the holiday.

Took an Escalade on the same trip, big day but worth it, stayed overnight at the next village after Williams towards the Grand Canyon. if you can make either sunrise or set do it as the colours will blow your mind much much more than a hole in the ground. The drive its self was great, 85-90 mph on the interstate just to keep up with the traffic was one of my personal highlights as was not getting bashed by the missus for speeding :lol:believed me when I told her we were doing 120kph:rub: ps Hoover dam well worth a look too as is the "car yard" on the right about 2 hrs out from Vagas.
It is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
Route 66 tour
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 07:02:28 pm »
Quote from: Pinto Pete link=topic=10226.msg143542#msg143542
Quote from: mwizz link=topic=10226.msg143426#msg143426

Took an Escalade on the same trip, big day but worth it, stayed overnight at the next village after Williams towards the Grand Canyon. if you can make either sunrise or set do it as the colours will blow your mind much much more than a hole in the ground. The drive its self was great, 85-90 mph on the interstate just to keep up with the traffic was one of my personal highlights as was not getting bashed by the missus for speeding :lol:believed me when I told her we were doing 120kph:rub: ps Hoover dam well worth a look too as is the "car yard" on the right about 2 hrs out from Vagas.

Thanks will check it out

Offline m67gl

• Stallion
Route 66 tour
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 01:55:19 pm »
Thanks for this thread.  Nearly forgot about the speeding ticket I got near Amboy in January.  One question, can I pay the citation as it appears on Epay-it.com.  Says the court date is 24th March, but I can elect to pay it now as I DO NOT want to attend traffic school.  Do they impose more fines if not paid before court? or when it goes to court

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
Route 66 tour
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2011, 02:20:59 pm »
Quote from: m67gl link=topic=10226.msg143624#msg143624
Thanks for this thread.  Nearly forgot about the speeding ticket I got near Amboy in January.  One question, can I pay the citation as it appears on Epay-it.com.  Says the court date is 24th March, but I can elect to pay it now as I DO NOT want to attend traffic school.  Do they impose more fines if not paid before court? or when it goes to court

I'm not sure, I got done in Flagstaff AZ. 100mph in a 75 zone. :(

I was supposed to go to court and traffic school weeks after my return to Aus.

I rang the courthouse before I left, told them my predicament and was told they'd mail the fine to me.

I've yet to receive it.  There was no dollar amount on the ticket because my speed was deemed 'criminal' I think it's for the courts to decide.

s

Offline m67gl

• Stallion
Route 66 tour
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2011, 03:40:19 pm »
all fines go to the court in California.  went 70 in a 55.  says $288 fine on the e-pay it site.  Hertz said they would post me the fine also, or pay on my behalf + a fee.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
Route 66 tour
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2011, 06:02:45 pm »