New to forum and looking at buying a mustang

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: New to forum and looking at buying a mustang  (Read 9049 times)

Offline vasili

• Pony
« on: April 19, 2010, 12:51:30 pm »
Hi all,

My name is vasili, bill if it makes it easier.  :)

I have been lurking around the forum and trying to learn as much as possible about mustangs.  I have been trying to find out one specific question which I have found hard to find.  

I am looking at spending 20 to 25k on purchasing a car.  I am looking between 64 and 66 model mustangs.  Is it possible to pick up a fastback or convertible for that money???  I am looking at bringing something over from US, so its not including the shipping costs.  I realise this will get me a car not 100% but thats fine.  As long as everything is there and there is no rust.  Am I way over my head at the ammount I'm looking???

Hope to hear from you all soon.
Vasili

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 12:58:21 pm »
Vasili what state are you in............There are always plenty of good cars for sale . Just best if guys here on the forum know where you are so you can be advised of car local to you ...cheers & good luck in your search.
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 12:58:47 pm »
I think you should be able to get a car for that price range.

But whatever you do , get it checked out by someone you know or can trust.

Good luck !

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Spooky

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 02:12:29 pm »

Hi Vasili,

You should be able to get a car for that kind of money. Remember that you have a lot of other costs once you have bought the car. I have recently brought in a 64 1/2 vert and have detailed what it has cost me in the "Members Cars" thread at

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=9226.

The advice that Frank70 gave is VERY good advice - Get someone to check it out for you!

If you have any other questions, U2U me.

Regards
Kerry
[align=center]
[/align]

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 02:21:18 pm »
Either buy in Oz, or buy from an Oz!
A few OS based Ozzies lurk on this forum and seem to be genuine!
Get the best rust free car you can afford!
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline vasili

• Pony
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 02:58:39 pm »
Hi guys,

I live in melbourne.  So it shouldn't be to bad getting it over considering how many ships come in.

I have seen quite a few cars shermitt (I hope i spelt that correctly) has to offer.  But I'm still a bit off.  The plan is to have one parked in my garage by christms.  I'm trying to gather as much information about the cars and what is involved in getting one over.  I also keep reading great things about shermitts work.

So I can get a fastback or convertible for the money I'm spending???

I'm no expert, I'm an apprentice electrician working a 7 day week raising funds for this :D.  I always wanted a Falcon GT, but I'm not willing to spend the sort of coin being asked, plus the mustang is really growing on me :).

Thanks for your help guys.

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 03:06:29 pm »
Bill, are you able to drive a V8 legally? (P plate situation)
Some on here have purchased a 6 cyl so as to update to a V8 when time is right.
For your money it's possible to get a Vert or F/B but dont expect a showcar or even a good everyday driver.
If you spend A$25K ex USA you could be looking at $35-40K+ here in your garage.
Johnno;

Offline jtourvas

• Stallion
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 03:22:33 pm »
Vasili it is better to buy in Oz. This way you know what you are getting. You will be up alot more once you bring it here and start spending on it. Been there done that and I was lucky with my 68 fastback and not so lucky with my 67 fastback.

Offline vasili

• Pony
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 05:39:44 pm »
Thanks for that IGALOP.  So I'm better off going for a coupe as that way it'll be a driver, but still not of show quality condition which doesn't hurt.  You've made my decision easier cause I've playing with it in my head for a bit now.  I'm fully licensed and always driving 6's, so now is the time to move up and finally get a toy.  But as you mentioned I want a rust free car.

What did you find so bad with your 67 jtourvas??  Was it also the person you used gave misleading info??

I wouldn't mind coming out to the next run just to see a few cars and meet a few people and pick their brains.

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 06:00:09 pm »
Bill, why not come along to our meeting on Wednesday as a guest visitor and potential member? Plenty of well advised peeps to discuss your plans with. Union Hotel in Windsor around 7 pm ish if you want a feed first and then Windsor Bowls club from 8 pm for the meeting.:2
Johnno;

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 06:59:26 pm »
There is a 66 coupe listed on this forum today in that price range.

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=10214

Offline jtourvas

• Stallion
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 09:31:38 pm »
Yes I was mislead with the sale of my 67 mustang and I ended up fixing things I did not plan to fix. This is waht happens when you buy a car on the net in the US without looking at it.

Offline Rock65

• Worked
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 09:53:56 pm »
Bill,look at all avenues ,not just the US. If you buy in the states get a car from a state that is less likely to be  rust free.  It can take 6 months to get a car from the US so buy the time you find one dont it expect it to land here in record time. If your budget is $25k US allow another $10k AUS for shipping.Plenty of coupes around at any price but  good fastbacks or verts are hard to find on a budget. If you have any questions about importing send me a U2U and i will go into detail as i have just gone through what you are about to embark on. Cheers mate and dont rush.

Offline vasili

• Pony
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 10:10:42 pm »
Thanks for the advice fellas.  I know I'm several months away, so I wanna exhaust all avenues before I bight the bullet.  If I wait another year and a bit it doesn't matter.  I've been wanting this for 10 years so I will no settle for just anything.  I'm also picky.  I want a red stang (preferably candy apple red) with black trim or black with red trim.  4spd would also be a perk.

These are a few I've seen on the net and hence why I thought maybe there is a shot.  The fastback doesn't have the trim I like, but would still settle.  But the coupe I would not say no to.  I also just got to find the thread regarding all the codes.

http://classiccars.com/Classifieds/Listing.aspx?data=F65342062E7F6AE55D95BF96A560A74D7474387C0AD5AD40B3BB9F46C567C8CB114618249C927C12E61EDBEA3EBDC859A655BD46E5EF2C21FE2B3E236E9969CE29325C1A6EE129CB91DDF3F855E9620336115814CC75FB9EAB6EEEC8AB548F98&cs=11
http://classiccars.com/Classifieds/Listing.aspx?data=755EEA86787F0A68436028240BCDD02AB87DC05A0C43E6BC47D407D707F6831546DFEE0B706584F2627DBD54E4D08935F23D4E47392BD14A2A9B6FC7A989F673CF59807D374B655CD16D30585FDE2653&cs=11
http://classiccars.com/Classifieds/Listing.aspx?data=FDD35238E95112E3177DC9AC1FF32D8C1D4980E65D1F9D77AEAE0A5E54288001F765783CB4DF19C87704B9550C0746D4252EA269E5832F1B329C251E2D1CDA03824D8EB878622053E9078FECD6947156&cs=11

Are these cars especially the fastback and convertible just be too good to be true???

IGALOP, I will do my best to turn up.  Today I was at TAFE, hence why I was on a pc.  Back at work tomorrow.  We tend to do 10 hour days.  So depending what state I'm in will determine if I turn up.  But if there was a Sunday cruise, I'd be happy to take a day off from work and tag along if that would be ok.  I know a BA would not sit too nicely amongst the rank of the cars you guys own.

Thanks guys for the info.  Keep it coming in please.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 10:08:01 am »
Hi Vasili.

I dont think they are too good to be true at all. But still they need to be checked out by someone.

Why dont you see if you can find a car close to Matt from Shermatt in Florida ?

Not only will he be able to give it the thumbs up (or down), he will no doubt negotiate a few $k off the price.  That will probably pay for his fee and you have the peace of mind at pretty no net cost to you.

But you need to allow about $9-10k to get it landed here. you need to keep that in mind.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline A67PNY

• Worked
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 02:59:39 pm »
Hello Bill,
Welcome to the forum.
Keep your options open mate There are bargains here
and in the US. Like all the others said. Get a good inspection
and take your time.
Don't rush to buy the first car you see.
Cheers and good luck.........:(

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 04:09:47 pm »
Bill, here's a few things to throw into the hat.

There are reliable aussie connections for inspecting and buying in the USA to talk to, all of whom have their contacts on the forum, including a new chap who is just starting up and says he's keen to build a reputation.

Beware US Ebay as there have been some absolute horror stories about wrongly described cars. Very risky and scammers seem to lurk in droves wanting money sent. Craigs List is a USA site with a lot of used cars for sale.

Locally talk to Steve at Mustangs of Melbourne in Kilsyth who imports a lot of cars, and offers a RHD conversion service. If you are a new P Plate driver and intend to use the car in weekday traffic, I'd strongly suggest you go RHD. (having had both). Then there's Russell at Just Mustangs out at Riddells Creek, who has been in business importing Mustangs for many years, and who is very informative and helpful. Others advertise in "Just Cars" magazine.

In talking to these guys you might even be able to order a car in the model and red/black trim you prefer, seeing you are not in a hurry. If VicRoads require you to drive a six whilst on P Plates, these are scarcer and it could take a while to suss out a good one.

Basically the equation is that buying locally gets you a car you have inspected, and at a known final price.  Importing means more risk of something going wrong, but sometimes a price advantage. There's no right or wrong way.

Offline 68pony

• Worked
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 04:48:29 pm »
:i some sound advice above , but you can also cut importing cost by buying in california as thats where they are shipped from to aus,eg my wifes oldsmobile which we bought in california cost $175aus to deliver to the shipper, if you buy from the other side florida it can cost up to $1500aus in an inclosed trailer which is a must when traveling across the country, i had my wifes car checked out by ken who is a forum member who lives in california, he also saved me from buying a lemon , he's fees a very reasonable, he also payed for the car for me and organised all the shipping, it arrives 7th may, the only crap part is the waiting for it, but there were no sleepless nights wondering if i had been scamed and worth every penny paying a fee to  have it checked and payed for by someone you can trust.
look up ken on this forum and ask him to help you out.
cheers chris.

Offline vasili

• Pony
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 09:28:13 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys.  Been looking around locally and o/s and I'm starting to find for my price range, I got a better chance picking up a gt coupe thats in pretty good condition locally (so about the 30k mark).  The cars I posted earlier after having looked around more, make me feel a bit sus.  I want something to buy to drive.  Not something to do a full restoration on.  Don't mind if it needs a bit of work along the way, but I realise it will not be a show car.  It will NOT be converted to right hand drive either, as I find its also the novelty of these cars to be LHD.  But I'll just keep researching nonetheless and trying to learn as much as possible.  But I'll be definetly trying to hunt one in California if I bring one over.

I also wanted to ask, what do these cars require under vicroads legislation to be registered for road use???  Also where can I find info about the different codes???

Sorry I didn't make it tonight IGALOP.  Late night at work.  I have to do it to get the funds for the new toy :).

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the help and guidance.
Vasili

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 07:58:01 am »
Bill, the codes apply to engine (and auto details.)
My 289 V8 is a C-code = 200 HP 2 barrel  Autolite carby.
(C4  auto  = 3 speed auto box.)

A- code = 289 V8 225 HP  4 barrel
K- Code = 289 V8 271 HP  Hipo 4 barrel
These engine details/codes can be found on the "Just Mustangs" Website.
Johnno;

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 09:45:28 am »
Regarding VicRoads rego for a 30 year old LHD vehicle -

Copy of DOTARS (Federal Govt) import licence.
Copy of previous owner's title.
Copy of shipping documentation showing the car on the manifest.
Current RWC which will include fitting left dipping headlights.

If it's modified in the suspension or steering they will most likely want an engineering report. (expensive).

Regulations change though, so give VicRoads a call for the latest info when you've located a car.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 10:12:46 am »
Originally posted by Rock65
Allow another $10k AUS for shipping.

What does that cost include?  

Is it just the shipping from say Port L.A. to Port Kembla or does it include all the paperwork to get it into Aus.?

s

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 10:21:50 am »
Originally posted by StephenSLR
Originally posted by Rock65
Allow another $10k AUS for shipping.

What does that cost include?  

Is it just the shipping from say Port L.A. to Port Kembla or does it include all the paperwork to get it into Aus.?

s

Usually the lot, but not including the duty payable here if the car is expensive. If you work on that kind of figure you will not be out too far, usually will have some change left over on a cheaper car

Do not know about Port Kembla, but Sydney would fit that equation.

Always state the true value of the car, including any work done prior to shipping & the costs of the shipping. that is what the duty is paid on. Not worth the hassle of trying to save a few dollars by undervaluing the vehicle.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 10:35:46 am »
I will say it again here as I have said many times before. This is an expensive hobby, make no mistake about that.

If you are not prepared to spend at least AU$50K on a Mustang coupe, to have a really nice driver that is safe (or add another AU$15K for a fastback or convert) then do not attempt to get into the hobby unless you have a mechanical background & are prepared to do the work yourself.

There is no such thing as a "cheap" classic car. That also goes for buying parts or services. You spend little, you will only get burned.

Getting cars inspected also cost money. I (for example) charge all traveling expenses plus the time spent viewing the car & writing the report. In the US (as here) that would include airfares, rental cars & hotels.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 11:01:27 am »
 AS Kerry said you really , can't nickel and dime them, if you want a nice go anywhere car that look neat and works properly.