Looking for a 65- 66 coup

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Looking for a 65- 66 coup  (Read 2675 times)

Offline panhead

• L Plates
« on: April 04, 2010, 03:01:00 pm »
Hello, I am starting to look for a 1965-66 coupe for my wife. I am not sure weather to import or to buy local. The car does not need to be a bolt correct resto but does need to be in very good condition. I have some experience importing motorcycles and would be happy to import the right car.

It would need to be converted though as there is no way my wife will drive LHD.

I have a mechanical background but no real knowledge of Mustangs other than the basic stuff you pickup kicking tyres.

So I guess I am looking for some advice on what to look for, best option, (buy here or import) and a realistic price range that I should be shopping in (will I get a good car for 20-25K or am I fooling myself)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am happy to look as long as it takes to get the right car. (aim here is to keep wife happy)

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 03:26:38 pm »
For those bucks you would get a good 15 footer/driver. Just dont expect it to be a trophy winner.

Importing can be fraught with danger as we have many on this forum who have been burned by so called full restoed cars being bog and chicken wire when they get here.

Dont be the next one !

I'd buy locally again but there are advantages getting one in from the US.

Get the best bodied car you can afford too. Rust is the dark side!!!

If you import from OS do it with full inspection and report from a trusted source. Be patient  too if you import. Good luck.
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 03:32:38 pm »
Welcome aboard,
to start off 20-25 may get you a daily driver type car only, probably only left hook also,  not a restored car in my opinion.
As for importing them there are a few guys on here that will be able to assist and the advice is to have it inspected prior to purchase as there are so many horror stories of Ausssies getting ripped off importing rust buckets polished up with new paint.
all the best with your looking and dont be scared to jump on a plane and inspect a car personally, resently myself and a fellow forum member went to inspect a rust free 67 fastback that was ready for a bit of panel and paint and walked away laughing.....the photos here say otherewise
http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh69/justinf999/tcode/
and the op is still advertising it as a rust free car ready for paint

good luck and hope to see you contributing to this great forum

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 07:23:21 pm »
Id buy locally, You can have it inspected locally and you have the car in the flesh, there are lots out there, you just need to look and be patient, My bro bought one local, I pushed him to be patient and one will come up, and low and behold after a couple of months now has a really nice 67 coupe, its honest, straight and rust free, rather than FREE RUST!
Relax...its a buyers market.
luVhev
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline Rock65

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 04:39:32 pm »
If you want a RHD buy local. It mite cost you your complete budget just for the conversion if you import.

Offline panhead

• L Plates
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 08:28:27 pm »
Thanks for all the advice thus far. Looks like I need to increase the budget to mid 30K and find one here.

I guess I sell a couple more bikes and keep looking.

Any advice on a reputable contact to inspect a car once I have found something I like?

I am able to sort the complete crap from what appears to be ok, but have no expertise with body work quality. or particular issues that are model specific that I should be aware of.

Offline mikes68

• Worked
    • www.mikes68.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 11:17:50 pm »
Not sure if this would be your cup of tea or not...

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=9100

no price advertised but you could U2U him and have a chat.
Cheers,
Mike

Offline Blown66Mustang

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 07:34:43 pm »
This is a good advice segment on things to look for when buying early Mustangs :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We4NcjUi584&feature=related