Problems with Autogage Tacho

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Problems with Autogage Tacho  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« on: April 02, 2010, 11:51:54 am »
Hi All.

I bought an Autogage (made my AutoMeter) tacho for my 64 Galaxie on eBay. Got it for about half the price of a Speco one and I think it is better.

It works fine except for one strange thing - when I switch the ignition off , the needle does not go to zero. Its stuck on about 3000rpm. As soon as you switch the ignition on , it all works as it should, but the needle is always goes back to 3000rpm when you turn the ignition off.

Is this normal for these gauges ? The reason I ask is that if you search on eBay for Autogage or Autometer tacho, all the pics of their different model tachos show the needle sitting on somewhere between 4-7000 rpms. When the tacho arrived, the needle was also sitting at about 4000rpm.

Has anyone used an Autogage or Autometer tacho and seen this before ?  I am pretty sure it is wired correctly.

Thanks,
Frank.

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 06:36:29 pm »
Hi Frank
Mine does that too, its the built in shift lite in mine, it adjusts when the ignition is on but not running.
LUVHEv
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 08:18:43 pm »
OK thanks Hev.

Yes, mine has the built-in shift light too. Must be why I suppose. I guess a test might be to set the shift at 0 and see if the needle goes to 0 when you turn the ignition off.

Cheers,
Frank.