1969 MUSTANG RHD CONVERSIONS

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1969 MUSTANG RHD CONVERSIONS  (Read 11866 times)

Offline airrocket

• L Plates
« on: April 19, 2009, 02:41:51 am »

So how desirable is right hand drive (RHD) conversion for imported 1969 mustangs? Very desirable, not a must have, or not desirable? Any demand for restomod (modernize drive train) mustangs in Australia? Any sources for RHD conversion kits or experienced DIY references? I’m looking to expand my 69 restomod mustang (based on dynacorn body) business into foreign markets and wondering if a RHD conversion option would make them more marketable. Some countries like South Africa place restrictions on importing LHD autos. It appears Australia is more tolerable.

Offline fenderslash

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 07:21:41 am »
Cars of a certain age can be fully registered here as Left Hand Drive, so you're right in thinking that 1969 Mustangs can be on the road here in both configurations without any legal problems. As far as RHD being more marketable and desirable, it goes without saying that it all depends on the individual of course, but to make sweeping generalisations I'd say that most people here who use their cars as weekend hobby cars keep them LHD, and most people who use them as a daily driver prefer a conversion. And with these cars being what they are more of them are used as hobby cars rather than daily drivers. As for myself, I'm in the market for a 65/66 fastback to use as a daily driver (I already have a weekend hobby car) and although I haven't totally made my mind up yet I'm heavily leaning towards a conversion. So there is a market here, just probably not a big one.

My baby...  1965 Mustang 2+2; C-code 289 (with 4bbl Holley); C4 auto; Rangoon Red

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 08:01:29 am »
I think you may find that because the car is based on a Dyna corn body it may have to be RHD drive. Under the DOT rules it may fall under the same rules as a Cobra replica. I may be treated under the Limited production rules which also could mean you couldn't run a Windsor engine due smog rules. If it had an original Vin number it would be fine a could be used LHD, as long as it had RHD head light, child restraint bolts, 3 point interia reel seat belt. You need check with a DOT engineer. You could try John Greene at Probe engineering Burke st Wynnum. He may know if car built on new body is ok to be LHD or not. He will know who will know I think.

Offline airrocket

• L Plates
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 02:03:59 pm »
Great advice, contacts and insights concerning the LHD RHD issue. Here in the states the registration and requirements for license varies somewhat from state to state. It appears most US states class it as a KIT car like the cobra mentioned above. The motor being a modern version of the 351 Cleveland (AL 3V Aussie heads) with SEFI etc…meeting Aussie emission requirements should be achievable. So with RHD how are the pedals situated. Gas pedal for RH foot or LH foot?  I’m hoping pedal position remains the same for both types of drives.

Offline airrocket

• L Plates
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 02:46:54 pm »
Have to mention I'm a Mad Max fan...big time. Originally I thought the car was just a kit bashed US Torino and 71 Mustang. It wasn't until many years after the movie released that I discovered the car was based on a real Australian production XB Falcon with what appears to be a 76 Ford Fairmont XC front. That discovery also awakened me to the vibrant high performance, 351 Cleveland, Falcon and Mustang culture down under.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 07:24:42 pm »
It's not about meeting emissions they don't test them . What they do is say the engine must be no more then 10 years old and there for it meets emissions, you'll never get a Clevo past the rules because ford Aust stopped make them here in the mid 1980's. Windsors were used up till about 97-98, so they just fall outside the rule, there is currently an exemption on widsors in cobra kit cars.  I asume youw ould likly have to run a modular engine perhaps. I know the GT 40 replicas are using either, modular or a Lexus V8 to get them through the ADR rules. There is a guy who makes Cobra and GT 40 kits at Yatla 1/2 to the Gold coast. You could try him he would know for sure, DRB sports cars. wether he will tell you is another thing
http://www.drbsportscars.com/

Offline mjb0015

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 09:23:09 pm »
My 69 Mach1 is LHD and will stay that way, I want to keep the car the way it was built.

mjb

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 10:36:01 pm »
Windsors were used up until 2002, AU series III.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline 69candy

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 11:15:25 pm »
My 69 fastback is on its way here now. I would love to convert it to RHD just so my wife could drive it. She has no interest in driving a LHD car. If I could find a RHD firewall I would convert it. I so far have not found anybody who does RHD conversions on the 69, but obviosly somebody does and I have not looked real hard yet. This will be a driver though, If it was to sit in the lounge as a coffee table with the odd drive, LHD would be ok

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 12:14:04 pm »
The Blue oval fire walls are crap, can't use them with factory A/C etc. John Greene does 69's, too bad he is retiring, he just finishing a 72 now. You need to make them so you can use generic Falcon parts, same as I've done on my 67.  Fire wall is the easy part really. 69 is not that different to the early cars under the surface. I think John has moulds to make new dash pieces for the late cars.

Offline fordtj69

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 07:26:00 pm »
hi 69 candy try mike o'sullivan 96791100 for conversion if your in sydney he is doing my 69 ;_ bloke no bullshi t thanks tim
I will travel far for a car up and over the hill's to Clancy's at the bottom of the big mountain
member of the big dog car club

BDCC

Offline 69candy

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 11:14:26 pm »
Thanks guy's. Didn't mean to hijack the thread. I would prefer Adelaide or Melbourne as I'm on the SA/Vic border.
Not much comes up when you google