VASS engineers - Vic

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: VASS engineers - Vic  (Read 8756 times)

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
VASS engineers - Vic
« on: December 01, 2014, 11:16:25 am »
The '69 fastback is almost ready to be put on the road, so I guess I need to start shopping for a VASS engineer to get the certificate.

First up let me have a whinge about how unfair it all is: '69 Mustangs were manufactured from mid '68 to mid '69 (I think), if you're lucky enough to have a '68 build date you don't need to comply with any ADRs and therefore don't need a VASS certificate, but if you have a '69 build then you need one for what is essentially the same car!  :ouch:

Which does lead to an interesting thought: would VicRoads actually bother to check the build date if you just rolled up for a rego inspection with an RWC but no VASS certificate?

But I digress - what I need to know is:

- What is the rough number I can expect to pay for an engineer's cert for a '69 given they only really need to check the seat belts are installed correctly?
- Are there any VASS engineers that can also do the RWC test at the same time?  (would save me an extra trip and UV permit)
- Does anyone have any recommendations for a Mustang-friendly VASS engineer, especially in the southern suburbs?

And finally, just confirming that I only need to comply with ADRs that were in force at the time of manufacture, which for 1969 is front seat belts only.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 02:44:14 pm by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
  • Name: shane
Re: VASS engineers - Vic
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 07:30:45 pm »
Is your car stock ? if so only needs to be as what the car came with in 69 and a RWC and all your import paperwork and a fat cheque book or credit card  i am pretty sure BUT I could be wrong.
Now if you have modified it in any way eg different brakes , chassis mods disc brake rear end etc i think then thats when you need a engineer report.
I just re read your post if seat belts is your only concern I think the person who does your road worthy can put new ones in or an approved seat belt installer but dont think they have to be engineer approved
My 67 is getting close for rego and i have changed a few things but all options which were available to that car so no need for engineer check unless they have changed the rules since i last looked
Cheers shane
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 07:38:32 pm by 67fasty.sm »
Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 09:14:02 pm »
Is your car stock ? if so only needs to be as what the car came with in 69 and a RWC and all your import paperwork and a fat cheque book or credit card  i am pretty sure BUT I could be wrong

Hi Shane, unfortunately the VicRoads rules are pretty clear on the requirement for a VASS certificate.  Below is an excerpt from VS13 - "Imported Vehicles Conditions for Registration in Victoria":

2.3 Vehicles Manufactured Before 1989
These vehicles do not require a personal import plate or a used import plate, but they must still comply with
applicable Standards for Registration. Vehicles subject to Australian Design Rules (i.e. Vehicles manufactured after
1968 (June 1975 for motorcycles)) must be certified by a VASS Signatory.

So with '68 and earlier you are OK, but from '69 on you must comply with the ADRs in force at the time of manufacture.  For '69 that means Standards approved front seat belts, which I have already fitted.

So getting back to my question of who to go with, does anybody know a sympathetic VASS engineer that ideally can do roadworthies as well? And what sort of dollars should I expect to pay?
Cheers,
Brian

Offline Salthorse

• Worked
  • MOCA (Vic) member - 2709
  • Name: Dave
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 09:31:53 pm »
Applied Engineering Analysis Pty Ltd did mine (VASS 1025).  Don't have a cost as it was done by the seller.
Dave

1969 Black Jade Mach 1 with a 351C, 3v closed chamber heads, Comp Cams and lifters, FMX trans with 2500 stall converter, LSD, Edelbrock Performer 600 CFM, Sanderson ceramic shorty extractors and Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust.

2016 Deep Impact Blue GT manual with Roush exhaust.

I love it, I need it
I seed it
Eight cylinders all mine
Alright hold tight
I'm a highway star

Deep Purple, “Highway Star” (1971)

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
  • Name: shane
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 09:22:40 pm »
Hi Brian ,
Gees well i be , thankyou for that , said i could be wrong ! i will only build pre 68
cheers shane
Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 09:34:12 pm »
Hi Brian ,
Gees well i be , thankyou for that , said i could be wrong ! i will only build pre 68

Yeah you are OK with build dates up to 31st December 1968, after that it's VASS time. 

I was vaguely aware of this when I was looking for my '69 as they started building them in the second half of '68, but had no luck and ended up with a May '69 car.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 09:46:11 pm »
So does that mean if you have a 69 mustang Mach 1 but it was built late 68 you register it as a 68 not a 69 . Then tell every body you own a 68 mach 1 not a 69 Mach 1 mustang . :omg:   :grin:

Offline Salthorse

• Worked
  • MOCA (Vic) member - 2709
  • Name: Dave
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 09:50:17 pm »
Model year versus calendar year.
Dave

1969 Black Jade Mach 1 with a 351C, 3v closed chamber heads, Comp Cams and lifters, FMX trans with 2500 stall converter, LSD, Edelbrock Performer 600 CFM, Sanderson ceramic shorty extractors and Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust.

2016 Deep Impact Blue GT manual with Roush exhaust.

I love it, I need it
I seed it
Eight cylinders all mine
Alright hold tight
I'm a highway star

Deep Purple, “Highway Star” (1971)

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 09:57:49 pm »
I would imagine the cost would be charged on what you want the engineer to sign off on, some people have serious mods done so the cost will be higher. I have heard of someone paying $800, but I can't remember what the mods were.

Offline Sprint72

• Worked
  • Name: Brett
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 10:00:50 pm »
When I got my 72 VASS'ed about 6 years it was recommended I contact Kevin Williams from Plenty.

The VASS cost me $800 back then from memory, so I'm assuming it's probably a little it more than that by now.

It was a couple of hours work to do all the checks on his list, however a majority of that was a formality as our ADR's were mostly copies of the US design rules, but the VASS engineers still need to check it all out to be sure it conforms. Rust in the car is a big no-no.

After the main inspection I was instructed to:
Australian Standards seat belts to be installed, lap/sash front and rear
Headlights changed for ones that dip to the left
Fix a loose seat back
Put some heat proof tape on fuel lines that ran within a couple of inches of the exhaust

Leaving the taillight/blinkers red was ok.

The second (final) VASS inspection was to just check that I'd fixed these things and then he filled out some forms and handed me the cert.

Back then the VASS cert only stayed valid for a month after sign off (assuming it's still the same now?), so you had to coordinate your road worthy cert and VicRoads appointment to coincide with the VASS time period; if you miss the window then you gotta pay for the VASS again! Best idea is to book for a preliminary RWC first so you can fix up anything obvious that they pick - fer instance there'd be nothing worse than getting your VASS cert and while the clock it ticking down on it's validity you find your roadworthy guy doesn't want to pass your red blinkers for example.....

Obviously if you can find a VASS engineer that does RWC's then that will be an advantage to avoid the coordination effort listed above.

Here's a link to the list of Victorian approved VASS engineers (Word document download):

http://tinyurl.com/ofzhdwf

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 11:43:39 pm »
The VASS cost me $800 back then from memory, so I'm assuming it's probably a little it more than that by now.

It was a couple of hours work to do all the checks on his list, however a majority of that was a formality as our ADR's were mostly copies of the US design rules, but the VASS engineers still need to check it all out to be sure it conforms. Rust in the car is a big no-no.
$800 for two hours work - aye carumba!  I've got one quote so far at $495 and thought that was expensive...

After the main inspection I was instructed to:
Australian Standards seat belts to be installed, lap/sash front and rear
Headlights changed for ones that dip to the left
Fix a loose seat back
Put some heat proof tape on fuel lines that ran within a couple of inches of the exhaust

Leaving the taillight/blinkers red was ok.
Done the belts and headlights, hopefully no issues with other things.

Back then the VASS cert only stayed valid for a month after sign off (assuming it's still the same now?), so you had to coordinate your road worthy cert and VicRoads appointment to coincide with the VASS time period; if you miss the window then you gotta pay for the VASS again! Best idea is to book for a preliminary RWC first so you can fix up anything obvious that they pick - fer instance there'd be nothing worse than getting your VASS cert and while the clock it ticking down on it's validity you find your roadworthy guy doesn't want to pass your red blinkers for example.....
Still the same situation now, so it'll be a bit of a scramble to organise a VASS cert, RWC and VicRoads inspection all within 30 days.

Obviously if you can find a VASS engineer that does RWC's then that will be an advantage to avoid the coordination effort listed above.
That's my goal, but haven't come across one yet.

Here's a link to the list of Victorian approved VASS engineers (Word document download):

http://tinyurl.com/ofzhdwf
Thanks, I've been through the list and emailed half a dozen or so that are closest to where I live.  Only one has bothered to reply though so business must be pretty good!
Cheers,
Brian