Generator Function Test

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Generator Function Test  (Read 2868 times)

Offline 064 PNY

• Pony
Generator Function Test
« on: February 27, 2010, 09:05:39 pm »
Just wondering if there is a simple way to check that generator is charging battery. Have a early 65 model with generator charging system and have had starting problems. Suspect battery was shot so replaced today. Starting OK at present but have noticed when starting vehicle the GEN light stays on. On rev of the gas and GEN light goes off & stays off. Just suspect that the generator may not be charging battery properly. Guess if new battery goes flat again in few days then I know something is suspect.

Anyone have any ideas?

Offline PNYGTA

• Worked
Generator Function Test
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 11:27:47 pm »
Hey 064 PNY

I had a similare issue with my 66 alternator, and guys correct me if im wrong, but if you have a multimeter on the battery terminals while the engine is off, you should have around 13volts, then when idling you should have around 14.5 to 15, indicating that the battery is being charges, when you rev the volts should go up until your regulator cuts in and limits the voltage to the battery.

Judging by the fact that your charge light is on when idling I would suspect its the regulator of a bad connection somewhere?

Cheers

PNYGTA

Offline donoauto

• Worked
Generator Function Test
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 07:26:27 am »
More than likely a regulator fault , voltage values listed above are close enough to be correct. Unless you really want to keep it original , an alternator will give you much better performance ( and easier for spare parts). Also , many auto-elecs these days have trouble correctly setting up/adjusting a new generator regulator because that technology basically died in the late 60`s & unless that was your heyday of auto-electrics , us youngsters don`t remember the knowledge as we only are presented with generator/regulator problems every 2-3 years. I`ve been in the game over 20 years & embarrassingly enough , really struggle to correctly set these old things up. Need more grey hair I think ;)

Convert to alternator  - even if you keep the genny/reg. parts to keep originality for resale
Regards ,

Mark.

Auto-electrician & car A/C guy.

Offline 064 PNY

• Pony
Generator Function Test
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 08:56:22 am »
Thanks guys.

donoauto, if convert to alternator does any of the original wiring need to change? or just bolt in alternator (I think most have built in regulators now as opposed to external ones?). Current generator wiring goes back to original volateg regulator.

Thanks,

Jim

Offline donoauto

• Worked
Generator Function Test
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 10:58:40 am »
Yes the wiring will have to be modified at the old external reg. plug.
The warning lamp wire from the dash to reg. has to be joined to a wire of your choice that goes from the reg. to the old generator ( usually have 2 to choose from - just use wire colour to find the right ends) . That wire at the new alternator goes to a terminal marked D+ (for bosch units) or probably L (for jap. units). So basically you have the warning lamp on the dash connected to D+ terminal on alt. If you just to the joins at the reg. plug you can keep originality , or just cut plug off altogether & tape everything back into harness for neatness.

Then make sure you have large wire from B+ (main output) to battery positive or to starter motor solenoid where main battery cable is attached.

Bosch branded units are the go - easy to find 2nd hand/new , parts are cheap & readily available. Maybe old aussie ford cars , like XC,XD,XE falcon V8`s will have direct fit???
Regards ,

Mark.

Auto-electrician & car A/C guy.

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
Generator Function Test
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 02:16:52 pm »
064 Pony,

I posted some instructions a few years back after upgrading mine to a Bosch unit. Mine is a September '64 A-Code so it came with an alternator. I'd expect yours would have the same wiring but don't quote me on that.

I picked up a good used 55A bosch unit from an XB Falcon at the wreckers ($37) & did the following:

B+ goes to battery (I used 100A wire here)
Remove green/red idiot light wire from "I" terminal on the regulator and connect to D+ on Bosch alternator.

To remove existing regulator, discard the following:

Yellow wire from "A" terminal to starter relay (battery side).
White/black wire from "S" terminal to old alternator.
White wire from "F" terminal to old alternator.
Black/red wire from Gnd terminal on regulator to alternator.

Hope this helps.

Evan.