Cam Stuff

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Cam Stuff  (Read 6825 times)

Offline wheels

• P Plates
Cam Stuff
« on: June 28, 2005, 11:39:10 pm »
Hey Guys, heres a cam question for you. What should I expect out of this cam as compared to standard? Do I want this or something better?

ADVERTISED DURATION (.006" lift)
Intake 280 deg
Exhaust 289 deg
VALVE LIFT
Intake .450"
Exhaust .474"
DURATION @ .050" lift
Intake 204 deg
Exhaust 214 deg
LOBE SEPARATION 112 deg

If I need something better for serious street in a 302W with 351W heads please recommend something!
Thanks
Paul

Offline ThunderKiss

• Thoroughbred
Cam Stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 12:47:39 pm »
I have a 302w. The cam you're looking at looks pretty close to my cam.

It's specs are:
ADVERTISED DURATION
Intake 270 deg
Exhaust 280 deg
VALVE LIFT
Intake .448"
Exhaust .472"
DURATION @ .050" lift
Intake 204 deg
Exhaust 214 deg
LOBE SEPARATION 112 deg

I would class this cam as a stock factory replacement.  It idles smoothly and performs well to around 5000 rpm.

Offline wheels

• P Plates
Cam Stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 05:13:43 pm »
So what specs do you recommend for a serious street engine. Don't forget I've got 351W heads on board. Hooked up to an auto as well with standard stall but I can soon fix that!;)

Offline 66ccode

• Stallion
Cam Stuff
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 10:22:11 am »
I've got the same cam in my 289 with the following combo.
stock heads
tri y extractors
21/4" twin system
edelbrock performer 289 intake
holley 465 street avenger carb
stock stall
2.8 diff.
136 KW at the rear wheels.

now I caused quite an upset on the JM forum by saying that this combo runs  a 14.5 quarter, but there you go.

Keep in mind that although you have 351 heads,(with the larger valves), unless you have flat top pistons, or have shaved the heads to raise the comp ration, you are likely to have pretty low compression, as the combustion chamber of the 351 is quite large compared to stck 289/302 heads. (prbably around 8:1)
this is going to seriously limit the size cam you can use.
I looked at going larger to something like the 214 224 but I was seriously limited by both compression and valve size.
Also anything bigger than what you are proposing, would require a higher stall converter.
(Im on the limit at the moment)
Find one one the engine simulator programs, and plug in your specs. They are pretty good.

Offline ThunderKiss

• Thoroughbred
Cam Stuff
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 10:58:42 am »
Wheels, I went for my cam because I had my motor built to Edelbrock's "Performer Plus" specs (without using their heads, I have GT40P's) and that was the one they recommended.  The reason I followed their specs was because it was a tried and tested combo and would work well.

To go to their next level of performance (Performer RPM) would have required a larger investment, not only to the motor but also trans and diff.  If you want more, go for a Performer RPM intake, 600-650 carb, their  RPM hydraulic or hydraulic roller cam, extractors etc.  This combo would also require a hi-stall and lower diff gears.  Your 351w heads would probably require a bit of work to get them to work with this combo.  They recommend screw in rocker studs and you'd want to increase the vavle size.

Offline wheels

• P Plates
Cam Stuff
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 05:21:40 pm »
As you've probably figured I was considering the whole supercharger thing but after talking to a few people n the know and getting a price or two it's looking less attractive. For the price of the supercharger alone I could probably do a bit of work and get a stronger 302w possibly even stroke it. Diff ratio isn't too much of a problem as it's already 3.5:1. Breathability shouldn't be a prolem either as the 351 w heads have bigger valves and ports etc, it has headers and a 2 3/4 single exhaust system. I think repistoning it to up the compression and possibly upping the cam a bit should tuffen the engine up but still make it good to drive normally (streetable). Fuel supply really isn't a problem with the  750DP holley and Edelbrock intake manifold. I just don't see the value of the supercharger for the money!

Offline ThunderKiss

• Thoroughbred
Cam Stuff
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 08:26:12 pm »
Sounds like you're nearly there with that combo.  Which Edelbrock intake do you have?
The cam you mentioned in your first post would probably be too small for the rest of your gear.

Offline wheels

• P Plates
Cam Stuff
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 10:00:09 pm »
Sorry mate, shoulda mentioned that! It's an old edelbrock torker. At the end of the day I don't know what my current cam is as it was put in the car by the PO. For all I know it could be running pretty well at its maximum now which is not as silly as it sounds remembering that this car was built specifically for the cannonball run thru NT. I spose before I do too much thinking I should really check compression and chuck it on a dyno to see what it's actually pulling! That'll tell me if there is any scope for improvement!

Offline ThunderKiss

• Thoroughbred
Cam Stuff
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 10:47:19 pm »
Click here and scroll down to "Torker-Plus Camshaft kit".  That's the cam to go with the rest of your combo.
If your car has a some lope to the idle you may well have a cam similar to this already installed.
If you want more power but still want it streetable you need more cubes:).

Offline 66ccode

• Stallion
Cam Stuff
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 09:00:09 am »
Wheels,

I agree with Thunderkiss. Your combo sounds like it should be pulling like a train.
If you were contemplating a supercharger, for a lot less money, you could go with a stroker kit, which would fix two problems. it gives you more cubes, and can up your compression. both of these means you can run a much larger cam than the one your looking at.(assuming you go with a high stall)
I remember seeing a dyno printout on JM forum, i think it was from TWO89W with a similar combo pulling 250KW at the rears! If thats not enough for you, start spending big money.
BTW. Personally I dont like Double Pumpers on the the street. great for flat out high revs, but not very streatable. depends what you want to use the car for.

Offline 2233

• Blue Printed
Cam Stuff
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2005, 02:44:27 pm »
Does the engine have roller rockers?

What type of cam do you want to get  a roller? Flat tappet?

Hyd? Solid?

I run a 650dp on my 347, I am unfamiliar with your engine but a 750dp on a 302 is way overkill (unless you would be turning 7000plus)

This is a hyd flat tappet cam for clevo similar to mine.

Part Number: 520341 Grind Number: H-226/314-2S-6
Engine Identification:    
Start Yr. End Yr. Make Cyl Description
1970 1982 FORD-MERCURY 8 ROUGH IDLE, MODERATE PERFORMANCE USAGE, GOOD MID-RANGE TORQUE AND HP, LIMITED OVAL TRACK, BRACKET RACING, AUTO TRANS W/3000+ CONVERTER, 9.5 TO 11.0 COMPRESSION RATIO ADVISED. BASIC RPM 2600-6000
Engine Size Configuration  
351-351C C.I. V  

Valve Setting: Intake .000 Exhaust .000 HOT

Lift: Intake @Cam 314 @Valve 543 All Lifts are based
on zero lash and theoretical rocker arm ratios.
  Exhaust @ Cam 318 @Valve 550
Rocker Arm Ratio 1.73    

Cam Timing: TAPPET @.0042
Lift:   Opens Closes ADV Duration
  Intake 39.0 BTDC 67.0 ABDC 286.0 °
  Exhaust 73.0 BBDC 37.0 ATDC 290.0 °

Spring Requirements:   Triple   Dual   Outer   Inner
Part Number 96877
Loads Closed 126 LBS @ 1.850 or 1 27/32
  Open 337 LBS @ 1.320    
 Recommended RPM range with matching components
Minimum RPM 2400
Maximum RPM 6000
Valve Float 6600

Cam Timing: TAPPET @.050
Lift:   Opens Closes Max Lift Duration
  Intake 11.0 BTDC 35.0 ABDC 102 226.0 °
  Exhaust 45.0 BBDC 5.0 ATDC 110 230.0 °

If your ever in sydney near engadine give me a shout and you can have a drive and a listen to my car.

Dave(two89w)

Offline wheels

• P Plates
Cam Stuff
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2005, 11:53:37 pm »
Dave, I'm in Loftus mate so I'm pretty sure I could hear it from my place if you fire her up!!
I'll have to bring my beast around so you can have a bit of a listen/drive and see what you think. Maybe I'm just used to the 351 I had in my fairlane and thats why things don't seem right or maybe it's just drowning under 750 DP's worth of fuel when I apply the right foot!!