flaring headlights

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: flaring headlights  (Read 4479 times)

Offline 66ccode

• Stallion
flaring headlights
« on: June 28, 2005, 08:03:06 am »
Can anyone tell me why my headlight flare from quite bright to a dim yellow when Im idling? Im hoping its just the voltage regulator??? If so, are they expensive/simple to replace?

Offline Pete

• Worked
flaring headlights
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 04:04:49 pm »
Try your reg first. They are pretty cheap from Repco or similar auto parts stores, and identical to the more expensive replacement "Mustang" regs. Simple to replace, 2 bolts and plug it in. It's the 2 inch square black box located on the radiator support panel on the opposite side of the car from the battery. Good luck.

Offline Herman

• Blue Printed
  • A bit of concours nutter, but I'm still learning!!
flaring headlights
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 08:30:20 pm »
If that doesn't work you can upgrade your alternator to a new one but then you will have bypass the reg as they have a one built in.
Have now converted the other half into doing some of the Concours washin, cleaning & polishing stuff!!!!!!!!

Offline wowdan_wow

• Pony
flaring headlights
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 08:36:40 pm »
I agree with Nassi and Pete.
Had the same problem, upgraded both Regulator and Alternator (some alternators have a built in reg as Herman mentioned )and problem solved.
The whole lot should cost under $200. (reco alternator and repco reg)

Best of luck 66ccode

Offline 66ccode

• Stallion
flaring headlights
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 10:12:59 am »
Great, thanks for your help everyone, I'll give the regulator replacement a go on the weekend. I just had the alternator rebuilt, so I don't want to replace that. (don't you hate it when you go and get something done only to find that you should have gone a different direction.)