DONE my head swap!

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: DONE my head swap!  (Read 12108 times)

Offline MILD67

• Worked
  • Name: Rob
DONE my head swap!
« on: February 21, 2009, 01:29:53 pm »
today i got a little bored so i decided to start pulling apart my motor incar to replace my heads and put in larger cam.
iv brought cam, lifters, pushrods, gaskets, coolant, oil, filter, engine assembly lube, timing kit and headbolts.
anything more i should need?
when i disconnect the auto lines from radiator do i just leave them hanging with something covering them to stop fluid pouring out?
by the way all keep a eye on this thread as im sure ill have more questions along the way.
cheers rob
:(:(:(
Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an 67, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on MOCA, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car...................

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 02:16:50 pm »
What engine? What heads?

Who's fitting the cam? Do you have a degree wheel, pointer and magnetic base depth guage (can't remember correct name :2)

is there flexi hose from the pipes to the rad/cooler? Run 1 hose from pipe to tipe, the other hose from cooler/rad inlet to outlet. if it is pipe all the way, find some heater hose that slides tightly over the threads, and join them that way.
Otherwise, just tie them up as high as you can, and put a drain tin under, and remember to top up the auto before you finish.

Are you running an iron manifold? Have you got a mate to help lift the iron manifold, and heads, on and off? Espaciall putting the new stuff on, as you don't want the gaskets moving around, and even alloys get heavy when your reaching across an engine bay....
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline 2233

• Blue Printed
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 06:20:42 pm »
Would it be called a Dial Indicator?

Swapping a cam in these engines is dead easy.

You will enjoy/benefit from the experience. :(

Offline MILD67

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 06:49:25 pm »
its just a warm 302, im putting some ported iron heads with roller rockers and a comp cam grind #xe262h.
i have edelbrock performer manifold and 600cfm carby with extractors and twin 3inch system.
i have a degree wheel, and a dial indicator but its metric so ill have to convert.
iv removed the water pump, timing cover, valve covers and balancer.
ill prob remove heads 2moro as im :2 jd now.
thats a good idea about the heater hose thanks blkpny, if your close your more than welcome to give a hand (carrum downs).
should i fit the new heads b4 i dial in the cam or b4?
;{
Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an 67, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on MOCA, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car...................

Offline Bllett

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 07:11:37 pm »
:( good on you Josh give it a go wish i was as game, let us know how you go with it

daponi :(

Offline MILD67

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 09:55:58 pm »
 good on you Josh give it a go wish i was as game, let us know how you go with it

ITS ROB!:*

can anyone please tell me if its easier to dial the cam b4 or after the heads go on?

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 10:44:16 pm »
Sorry, just got home from the Jazz thingo at the Murdoch Farm in Langwarrin.

If you have the heads off, it's easier, as you put the "Dial Indicator" (Thanks 2223!!) on the deck, and the tip on the piston.
If the heads are on, you need to use an old pushrod or similar thru the spark plug hole, and is less accurate.

Twin 3" with a 302???   WOW!  I jst put twin 3" on mine, and it's like an open piped drag car. I'm lucky it is a tuff motor, or is would sound pox.
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline MILD67

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 11:22:19 pm »
it came with the car (exhaust), its not loud but it burbles a little when backing off.

Offline MILD67

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 03:00:48 pm »
well i took the heads of and removed the camshaft today.
now i just have to wait for the parts to arrive.

time to get back on the jack i think!

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 04:27:46 pm »
I'll be kean to see how it goes, as this is similar to what I have except with heaps of compression, and a strong bottom end.
 Does it have dished pistons or just cut outs for the valves?

Offline MILD67

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 04:35:35 pm »
just cut out for the valves.
i was thinking of doing bottom end aswell but i just want this one to last till i get the funds for a 347 ;2

but i can never help myself like i wasnt going to touch this motor and go straight to 347. oh well.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 04:45:42 pm »
If its done some miles don't clean the carbon of the piston tops close to the edge, leave about 8mm of carbon. Also if it a bit tired and your new heads more compression you may blow the rings out of it. Just be prepared. Remember that V8 supa cars run 302s, you can get them screeming if you want.

Offline MILD67

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 07:59:42 pm »
what should i use to clean the carbon?
all parts are now ready, so ill clean up all parts and do some assembly on the weekend.
and then ill have to get a radiator.;]

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 08:05:54 pm »
Just scrape it off and blow it off with air. Wipe some grease around the edges of the piston you are cleaning, so the carbon gets trapped and doesn't end up down the side of the piston. Once you crank it down the bore just wipe the grease and carbon away.

Offline MILD67

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 10:04:33 pm »
ok, tonight i just cleaned up all the bits to go back on, then got bored and installed the cam, i tried to dial it in but cam out 2 degrees out so i advanced it 2 degrees and ill have to check it again tommorrow to make sure all ok.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 05:46:30 pm »
Advanced will will give more low torque, retarded will push up the Rev band.

Offline tom289

• Pony
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 12:29:47 pm »
hey mild 67

what size cam and what brand are u fitting,

i am also thinking doing a cam swap, for my 289 all i have at the moment is intake carb and exhaust, but i like it to idle with a  bit of a lumpy sound,  i know i should pull the motor out and do it right but i am very impatient person, it has taken me 2 years
to get the car where it is today......

any suggestions from forum members

tom..............

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 12:50:23 pm »
Easiest bolt on at this point would be a good set of heads. Of course a bigger cam will help you get the most out of them.

Good thing about heads is that the average handy guy could probably fit them in a day.

Cam is a bit trickier - at least for me.

I guess a good target would be to get the same kinda HP numbers Shelby was getting for a GT350 with the HI-PO 289 - somewhere around 300-310 I think.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline MILD67

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 04:14:29 pm »
hi a link to the cam as follows
http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/CamDetails.aspx?csid=799&sb=1
i didnt pull motor out just heads off and cam, as it was recoed just before i brought it and im prob going to 347 strocker later when funds allow and this one dies a little.
hopefully the heads on tonight and inlet, dizzy and maybe overheads.
and finish off 2moro night if the radiator turns up 2moro.

Offline MustangNut

• Blue Printed
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 07:56:38 pm »
That cam should make some good Mumbo!

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 08:10:08 pm »
Make sure you run it in on some penrite 30 and plenty of cam lube

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 09:06:44 pm »
Make sure you don't use the cam lube on the bearing journals, only on the lobes and dissy drive gear. Use oil on the journals.
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline MILD67

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 04:26:11 pm »
ok radiator arrived today so fingers crossed she'll be running this weekend
:a:a

Offline MILD67

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 10:01:57 pm »
almost done, just have to learn to adjust roller rockers and put in oil additive and water.
;2

Offline 2233

• Blue Printed
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 08:04:16 am »
Dont forget your 20 min cam break in,not below 2000rpm's. :(