<<new>> Need some advice.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: <<new>> Need some advice.  (Read 23499 times)

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
Re: <<new>> Need some advice.
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2014, 08:16:02 pm »
The original post was put up in 2009. It has been nearly 5 years.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2014, 09:12:09 pm »
Yep, he'd be married with grand kids now... :lmao:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 05:30:16 pm by Macka »

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 04:21:16 pm »
Hi all,
Yey stuie, no v8 for me for 3 years!

I'm in Qld but the NSW info that J1 put up is the same for us here. Ino it sucks

The 78 fastback ($8000 - 9000 ) i'm looking at was last registered in 2005 and has been converted to RHD.

The body looks straight and there is no obvious rust (doors, sills etc).

There is rust in the door pillars though. Am i right in thinking this is serious as it is structural? Can pillars be replaced?

It needs a paint job but the interior is OK

Most things work - lights, gauges etc . Engine isnt blowing smoke but could use a good tune up (I'll have a mechanic have a good look at it if i go any further with it).

Manual gear box and seems ok. air con not working.

I was hoping to get a car that i could drive daily and do up over the next 3 years until i can get a true classic. On the taking a loan - not really, still at school and no way i could pay it. i guess im looking at about $5000 ball park figure to get it mechanically sound, fix aircon and paint, i plan on cutting the cost of it all by doing what i can myself, expecially with the paintjob. But it would be much less than that to roadworthy condition if it is not already able to get roadworth/pink slip (I think thats what it is in nsw)

If I can get a safety cert and get this registered fairly easily, will the restoration be worthwile???

many thanks for your advice
If you are in QLD you can have a V8 or anything for that matter even a Skyline turbo. There is an exemption form you fill out and have approved on a car by car basis, it then based on power to weight ratio. The skidder boys use this loop hole all the time, they even have friendly dyno guy to make sure their car meets the spec.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 05:39:29 pm »
It's nearly the same here in Vic for the rules and the exemptions.  Your Queensland exemptions are:

as from 1 January 2014, a new definition for a high-powered vehicle has been introduced for cars manufactured on or after 1 January 2010. A car manufactured on or after this date is a high-powered vehicle if it has:

•a power-to-weight ratio of more than 130kW/tonne
•an engine modification that must be approved under section 13 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010 (PDF, 831KB).

The power-to-weight ratio is calculated by dividing the car’s maximum engine power in kilowatts (kW) by the tare mass and multiplying the result by 1000.

For example, the power-to-weight ratio of a car that has a maximum engine power of 195kW and a tare mass of 1667kg would be calculated as:
• (195 ÷ 1667) x 1000 = 117kW/tonne.

The existing definition will continue to apply to cars manufactured before 1 January 2010. Under this definition a car is a high-powered vehicle if it has:
•an engine with 8 or more cylinders
•a turbocharged or supercharged engine that is not diesel powered
•an engine with a power output of more than 210kW
•a rotary engine with an engine capacity of more than 1146cc
•an engine modification that must be approved under section 13 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010 (PDF, 831KB).

The following vehicles are exempt and can be driven on a P1 or P2 licence:
• Suzuki Cappuccino 2D Cabriolet Turbo 3 657–698cc (1992–1997)
• Daihatsu Copen L880 2D Convertible Turbo 4 659cc (2003 or later)
•Smart Fortwo Coupe 2D Turbo 3 698cc (2000 or later)
• Smart Fortwo Cabriolet Turbo 3 2D 698cc (2000 or later)
• Smart Roadster Turbo 3 2D 698cc (2000 or later)
•Toyota Landcruiser.

Check if your vehicle has been approved for driving by P1 or P2 licence holders.

Apply for high-powered vehicle exemption

You can apply for an exemption, and if granted, you will be given a certificate which you must always carry while driving the high-powered vehicle.

To apply:
• complete and submit an high-powered vehicle exemption application form (F4467) (PDF)
• pay the application fee.

You are eligible to apply for an exemption to drive a high-powered vehicle if any of the following situations apply to you.

Personal circumstance grounds

You can prove you need to drive a high-powered vehicle:
•to or from your place of employment
•in the course of your employment
•to or from the education institution you attend
•to get medical treatment for yourself or a family member.

In addition, you must prove that:
•there is no other transport reasonably available to you
 and
•refusal to issue you a certificate of exemption will cause severe hardship to you or your family.

Your traffic history will also be taken into consideration.

Vehicle ownership grounds

You can prove the only car reasonably available to you is a high-powered vehicle that:
•if manufactured on or after 1 January 2010—was owned by you on 1 January 2014 and you still own it
•if manufactured before 1 January 2010—was owned by you on 30 June 2007 and you still own it
•is owned or leased by an immediate family member
•is in the possession of an immediate family member under an employment or salary package.

In addition, you must prove that:
•there is no other transport reasonably available to you
and
•refusal to issue you a certificate of exemption will cause severe hardship to you or your family.

Your traffic history will also be taken into consideration.

Good luck with it..