Brake booster & master cylinder 1966

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Brake booster & master cylinder 1966  (Read 5992 times)

Offline curt66

• P Plates
« on: June 12, 2005, 09:22:05 pm »
Have had conversion LHS/RHS done, XF steering box has been installed with power steering to follow. But I would like to know the recommended booster & master cylinder to go with them, I heard that the XB has been a choice of some. The original was a LH torana booster & master, would appreciate some guildance thankyou.

Offline Tony

• Pony
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 07:29:11 am »
I've just fitted an XB booster and master cylinder to my 66. It fits and works weel.
Regards

Offline curt66

• P Plates
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 09:42:04 pm »
Excellent !
Thanks for your help.

Offline charlie66

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 06:13:00 pm »
I'm looking at upgrading to my brakes, currently standard 4 wheel drums. I am nearing the end of the resto and have almost exhausted my funds. I was thinking of putting a booster on th existing brake system now for a quick fix with a thought to upgrading to a disc brake front end in the future.
I was wondering if fitting a booster would be something a backyard mechanic could do and what the approximate cost would be?

Offline curt66

• P Plates
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 08:49:24 pm »
charlie
It sounds like you have a original manual steering setup as I had. Power steering needs a few mods to have discs on the front, I used Ford XF steering box, steering shaft to suit, Ford XY rotors, Holden VK Calipers, Holden LH torana Booster & Master Cylinder, Tie rods etc to suit, ABS brake hoses, adapter for caliper setup from Mustangs of Melbourne.
I would suggest you also speak with someone like the above for further direction before you set off.

XF box $100
Booster & master $350
Brakes $300
Hoses $70
Shaft $50
Tie Rods $100

Curtis

Offline charlie66

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 06:59:49 pm »
Curtis

I do have power steering fitted, so i suppose i would follow along the same lines as what you have done. I have had the job quoted at $2500 which i cannot shell out at the moment due to the project already being over budget by $7000, any more than that and i'll end up in the divorce courts! Thats why i was thinking along the lines of just a booster for the drums at the moment and later down the track going the whole hog and putting discs on the front.

Offline curt66

• P Plates
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 10:00:30 pm »
Charlie

Good idea........ stay out of courts.
That can be even more expensive than retoring a Mustang and half as much fun.

Curtis