1967 mustang

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1967 mustang  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Lambie

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Neil Innes
  • Car: 1967 Mustang
1967 mustang
« on: August 26, 2021, 07:08:52 pm »
Hi Guys,
I'm just new to this & looking for help.
I have bought a 1967 mustang coupe knowing i would have to spend money on it but now i have noticed that both left hand wheels are sitting inside the guards the rear by about 50mm & front by about 35mm while the right side is about 10mm inside the guard.
Does anybody have any idea about what would be causing this so i can get it sorted out.
Thanks very much in advance

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
Re: 1967 mustang
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 10:54:13 pm »
Welcome to the Forum, if it was mine l would be doing a little more investigating,
First l would put the car up on stands and take the wheels off, then get a straight edge and place it against the outer side of the brake drum, maybe put a couple of wheel nuts back on to hold the drum in place , then measure back to a particular point to the body, (inside the wheel well ) do both sides for a comparison and make sure to measure to the same point, this should give you an idea as to whether the diff is sitting central to the body or you may have panel issues, try this as a start and post your results, good luck, Andrew..,

Offline Megzee67

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Michael
  • Car: 1967 Mustang Coupe
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 06:28:00 pm »
Following Reborn67 advice check the backspace on all 4 rims.
Although they may be the same style the bs may differ which would offset the apparent width.
Plus tyre sizes may contibute.
The measurements you describe are fairly outside the norm
How does it drive down the road as is.
Interesting issue mate..
Keep us enlightened
Cheers
Most people don't listen with the intent to understand
They listen with the intent to reply.

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 07:16:39 pm »
That’s what l like about this forum, didn’t think about rims until much later but there is always someone out there thinking along a different line, interesting dilemma though..,