1969 Glue-in door glass issue...

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1969 Glue-in door glass issue...  (Read 2414 times)

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
1969 Glue-in door glass issue...
« on: July 29, 2021, 12:08:24 am »
So - I have this issue that is driving me buts:

The window in the driver's door isn't central to the gap between the inner frame and outer skin - it just runs too close to the inner door, there is about 1/8 inch gap between the glass and the outer door-skin weatherstrip and I've used all the adjustment in the lower bolts/sliders of the guide rods - but the glass just never centres in the door. When the window is wound all the way down, the glass moves closer and closer to the outer door skin and compresses the weatherstrip. The window closes on the quarter window and seal really well and I'm happy with how it closes, but the gap between the window and weatherstrip is awful.

The passenger door is totally screwed - there is no way to adjust the window because the window presses HARD against the inner door frame when down and is only just away from the inner frame when up - and nearly an inch away from the outer door skin when up - it's like the guide rods are bolted to the outer door skins on the wrong side - like the rods should be behind the lip on the door skin - it appears to be the only way to centre the guide rods - but it can't be right and I don't want to bodge it up just to make it work...

hopefully someone will be able to zoom in and see what I've done wrong...

finally - are there supposed to be fitting along to the top of the inner door to support the deluxe door panel? It's been SO LONG since this thing was apart that I have no idea where they are or where they go...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 12:11:43 am by jiffy »
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
Re: 1969 Glue-in door glass issue...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 08:17:37 am »
Perhaps there's a spacer/washer missing between the door and window channel where they connect?  This would change the exit angle at the top of the door.

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 10:42:19 am »
I don't think there's a spacer missing - but I think it's going to GET one shortly...

Offline RocketScientist

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 01:37:31 pm »
I was working with a 70 with bolt-in glass but I found the positioning of the vertical guide rods important in the glass gapping. There is a fair amount of adjustment in the lower position and I had to push them out towards the door skin as much as possible to get good clearance. Also, is it new or old original glass? I got all new glass and my first set had the wrong curvature and had all those problems you have and I had to bin them.
Brad

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 02:17:06 pm »
Hi Brad - these are brand new repro glass, I was hoping that it wouldn't be them... I will get the old ones out and line them up next to it and see if they're the same curvature...

Puts me in an awkward spot as I've glued the f@#$k out of them to ensure they stay put...

Offline RocketScientist

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 03:40:41 pm »
I pulled my glass out three times before I realised it was the problem and I hated it and that was it being bolt in. I can imagine it being ten times worse with glued in glass!! The thing which made the think it was the glass was that both sides were set up exactly the same and their fitment was so different and I was already having problems with the rear quarter glass. The RH rear had the wrong curve and wouldn't fit into the stainless channel and so I was suspicious of their quality to start with.

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 08:55:23 pm »
Ok - I’m pretty sure I’ve found the problem - the door skins were new repro parts and they look great, but the recess on the inside-top of the skin to accept and locate the top of the guide rod is not sufficiently deep to allow it to sit back far enough to allow the window to sit in the centre of the door frame. I have checked this measurement and it's different on both side of the car (which is why the driver's side is better than the passenger side) and compared it to my brother's '70 Mach1 and his are WAY BACK by comparison.

So - Driver's door, back: (note - you cannot even see the head of the bolt)

Passenger door, back: well - there's the bolt, and the whole setup is much more out into the middle of the door frame

Here's the front of the driver's door - no bolt etc

Here's the front of the passenger door - and there's the bolt, same situation as the rear of the door:

The skins I bought new way back in 2005 so maybe they’ve improved the design since then.

More soon but I need to do some thinking about how best to resolve the problem.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 11:41:14 am by jiffy »

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 11:15:35 am »
So - the mods:

This is the top bracket on the original rod,                             This is the top bracket once revised:

I spent hours working on the passenger door as it was by far and away the worst offender, ended up tapping a thread into the hole on top, slotting the bracket and clamping it in various locations until I was happy, then welded and painted it. Still wasn't happy after all that nonsense so I put a washer behind each and now the window sits really nicely in the slot between the inner and outer door frames, winds up and down well and closes on the rubber properly.

I'll get on to the driver's door soon....

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 09:11:06 pm »
The main thing is you are finding these issues and rectifying them yourself, so well done with that. Car is looking awesome as well.  :thumb:

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2021, 02:06:24 pm »
Love your work

Offline RocketScientist

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 03:28:47 pm »
Its an awesome effort on getting everything right. And No, the repo skins haven't improved much over time.......

Offline HRTZ65

• Stallion
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2021, 11:11:06 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoTKxAwmnCc&list=WL&index=56&t=66s

Here is a great reference video on 1969/70 windows. Very detailed on installation, set up and the differences between models. Maybe useful to help navigate all the adjustments.

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2021, 10:37:56 am »
Hi - thanks, I had seen that video and it both helped and hindered me.
It has a few inaccuracies - the guides blocks that slide up and down the guide rods actually face BACKWARDS not forwards, and (on a fastback at least) the glue-on mounting brackets don't glue in an inch from each end, the front one is 3/4 inch back and the rear one is 27.5 inches from the front, not 1 inch from the back.

Otherwise there is a bunch of useful info in there and the video does show things that you need to know before you needed to know them.