Technical & General Discussion Area > Tech Torque Pre 1973

1969 Glue-in door glass issue...

(1/3) > >>

jiffy:
So - I have this issue that is driving me buts:

The window in the driver's door isn't central to the gap between the inner frame and outer skin - it just runs too close to the inner door, there is about 1/8 inch gap between the glass and the outer door-skin weatherstrip and I've used all the adjustment in the lower bolts/sliders of the guide rods - but the glass just never centres in the door. When the window is wound all the way down, the glass moves closer and closer to the outer door skin and compresses the weatherstrip. The window closes on the quarter window and seal really well and I'm happy with how it closes, but the gap between the window and weatherstrip is awful.

The passenger door is totally screwed - there is no way to adjust the window because the window presses HARD against the inner door frame when down and is only just away from the inner frame when up - and nearly an inch away from the outer door skin when up - it's like the guide rods are bolted to the outer door skins on the wrong side - like the rods should be behind the lip on the door skin - it appears to be the only way to centre the guide rods - but it can't be right and I don't want to bodge it up just to make it work...

hopefully someone will be able to zoom in and see what I've done wrong...

finally - are there supposed to be fitting along to the top of the inner door to support the deluxe door panel? It's been SO LONG since this thing was apart that I have no idea where they are or where they go...

Dwayne:
Perhaps there's a spacer/washer missing between the door and window channel where they connect?  This would change the exit angle at the top of the door.

jiffy:
I don't think there's a spacer missing - but I think it's going to GET one shortly...

RocketScientist:
I was working with a 70 with bolt-in glass but I found the positioning of the vertical guide rods important in the glass gapping. There is a fair amount of adjustment in the lower position and I had to push them out towards the door skin as much as possible to get good clearance. Also, is it new or old original glass? I got all new glass and my first set had the wrong curvature and had all those problems you have and I had to bin them.
Brad

jiffy:
Hi Brad - these are brand new repro glass, I was hoping that it wouldn't be them... I will get the old ones out and line them up next to it and see if they're the same curvature...

Puts me in an awkward spot as I've glued the f@#$k out of them to ensure they stay put...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version