Technical & General Discussion Area > Tech Torque Pre 1973

Water in slave cylinder.

(1/3) > >>

coops:
This morning I attempted to fit new brake linings to my 69 Mustang. When I stripped it down I noticed rusty water dripping from the slave cylinder. It has damaged the slave cylinder beyond repair. It is on the outside of the piston and the piston still pushes in and out. Where would this water have come from? I have notice for some time that when the car sits for a while and you attempt time move it the rear brake are locked on but free up as soon as you give it a bit of gas. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Cheers Coops and Happy Easter

AussiePhil:
Hey coops,
I've always believed that parking on wet or damp grass draws water from the grass and the humidity enters hot items, exhaust and possibly slave cylinders, rusting them prematurely. My uncles told me that 50 years ago!
I'm sure someone will post back it's total bullshit! But I've got big shoulders, and it wouldn't be the first time!
Cheers Phil.

Reborn67:
 Sorry Phil, I'm not calling bullsh!t on that one 'cause I've never heard that one before and nothing would surprise me, but I do know that brake fluid is very "hygroscopic" meaning it will absorb moisture easily. You would think that a sealed Brake line system would prevent this but it Does get in, via seals and the porosity of brake components, I believe some fluids are less prone than others, but failing that it may just come down to bleeding the system out more often, which is not a bad thing anyway...,

AussiePhil:
Hey coops,
Totally agree with reborn67, when was the last time they were flushed and fluid replaced!
Old saying, oils cheap, and it's not a hard job if they're already bleed. Get a good fitting ring spanner!
A lot of people say the repo slave cylinders are rubbish but I haven't found that.
I had a funny thing the other day, I changed my parking brake shoes and realised my calipers were on the wrong sides, with the bleed screws on the bottom, I fitted them that way when I fitted my four link suspension! I must have bleed them off the axles! Anyhow I've put them on the correct sides!
Cheers Phil.

AussiePhil:

--- Quote from: coops on April 05, 2021, 09:37:19 am ---This morning I attempted to fit new brake linings to my 69 Mustang. When I stripped it down I noticed rusty water dripping from the slave cylinder. It has damaged the slave cylinder beyond repair. It is on the outside of the piston and the piston still pushes in and out. Where would this water have come from? I have notice for some time that when the car sits for a while and you attempt time move it the rear brake are locked on but free up as soon as you give it a bit of gas. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Cheers Coops and Happy Easter

--- End quote ---
Hey coops,
As for the shoes grabbing check your shoe return springs are ok!
Cheers Phil.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version