66 Coupe I6 Drive line Help..?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 66 Coupe I6 Drive line Help..?  (Read 1417 times)

Offline wayne29

• Pony
66 Coupe I6 Drive line Help..?
« on: March 16, 2021, 09:53:13 pm »
Gday Everyone, 👍🏽

I have a few questions and would like a bit of help if possible regarding some parts on my Standard T code 66 coupe with I6 and C4.

I am in the process of rounding up all
The required parts to do a 289 or 302 Windsor conversion.
( Carby motor )

I Have a mate whos stripping down his K Code 65 Fastback for a wild ground up project and i have been able to grab His C4, TC, tailshaft and rear 8inch diff.
( Two hand brake cables possibly from a 66 )
Aswell as the metal fuel line, engine mounts, front disc brakes and front springs.
(I already have some V8 spindles and im getting new top and bottom control arms aswell as steering components)

My questions are,
-Can i use my existing 6 cylinder front spring perches
for the V8 springs? Is it just a coil swap over thats needed.

-Do i need to upgrade my rear leaf springs to V8 ones?
( are the 65 / 66 V8 and 6 cylinder ones the same)?

- What part of his wiring Harness in the engine bay will i require for my V8 conversion that is different to what i already have for the 6.?
If required, is it a plug in wiring loom or does it need modifying.?

From Experience are there any other small items i should be grabbing if i can... Apart from the main big items and these ones discussed?

Thanks everyone..

Any Advice here would be greatly appreciated
Cheers 😁👍🏽👍🏽
Wayno

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
Re: 66 Coupe I6 Drive line Help..?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 01:55:07 am »
-Can i use my existing 6 cylinder front spring perches for the V8 springs? - yes but if they are bad you should replace them. scott drake makes some nice upgraded ones. no need for the ball bearing type on a street car unless you simply want them.

Is it just a coil swap over thats needed. - yes, most people install either 610 lowering springs or i think springs from kings springs but someone else will know for sure.

-Do i need to upgrade my rear leaf springs to V8 ones? - it would be best, and around 125 - 135 lbs is a good rate for a normally driven stock type car.

From Experience are there any other small items i should be grabbing if i can... Apart from the main big items and these ones discussed? - you will need a good/large radiator, especially if you have ac and/or bore the engine out more than .020".

you also need a v8 idler arm and tie rod ends and i think a pitman arm and possibly a v8 steering box, but i don't remember for certain.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 01:58:21 am by barnett468 »

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 08:05:37 am »
Pretty sure the 6 & 8 steering boxes are the same.

Offline Megzee67

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Michael
  • Car: 1967 Mustang Coupe
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 02:59:37 pm »
Hi Wayno,
A quick search of an Australian mustang parts supplier seems to confirm the 65-73 spring perches are the same and there doesn't seem to be a distinction between inline 6 or V8 types....
Same with the leaf springs although they do supply conventional, mid eye or reverse eye plus a Hi Po type, so your existing springs will be ok to keep
As a word of advise, while you have your UCA's out, you might want to consider the simple job of drilling out the Shelby Drop pattern for the UCA's which improves steering and handling geometry. There are a few other enhancements you may want to think about like Shock Tower gussets or modifying the spring perches to roller type........
Most people don't listen with the intent to understand
They listen with the intent to reply.