1966 Mustang LED Tail Light Conversion

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1966 Mustang LED Tail Light Conversion  (Read 3334 times)

Offline Fryingtonite

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Car: 1966 Mustang Fastback
1966 Mustang LED Tail Light Conversion
« on: March 02, 2021, 01:52:06 pm »
Hi, I'm a new first time mustang owner (1966 fastback) and a real novice to everything about the car, but want to do things myself as a learning experience (perhaps a big mistake).
I was advised that the car had really weak and barely noticeable lights so I decided to change them for LED lights (tail lights, reverse lights and front turn lights). I ordered a set from Vintage LED (in the US) that includes the Aust spec Amber/Red tail lights (pic shown). The reverse and front park/turn lights have the 1157 male pigtails to plug straight in (and the car wiring is stock) so that part should be easy.

The issue I have is that the new LED tail lights don't have the 1157 male pigtails (pic shown, it has just 4 bare wires - yellow for amber turn, white for park, red for brake and black for ground), AND a prior owner of the car has separated the turn signal light so that there are now 2 bulbs (one for turn signal light, the other for park and brake light - pic shown) and introduced a new wire (blue) to do so (drawing of current wiring shown).

Can anyone please help in advising how to wire up the new LED tail light?
My assumption is:
- from the new LED tail light I directly connect the yellow wire to the Green/Orange wire coming from the car wiring harness for left turn signal (this will bypass the current bulb that is there and render it useless). I do the same for the right turn signal but using the Orange/Blue wire from the car wiring harness.
 - the black wire from the new LED tail light I will need to ground to a metal panel near the tail lights,
 - the red and white wires from the new LED tail light, I think I have to wire up to a 1157 male pigtail and then plug that into the existing brake/park light socket (which has the Black and Blue wires coming from the car wiring harness), if someone could confirm that's what I have to do??? 

I assume the Black wire from the car wiring harness is the light that is always on when night driving (for safety visibility reasons), as the license plate light wire is also connected to this, and therefore I assume the Blue wire from the car wiring harness is acting as ground ???

If so, how do I wire up the red and white wires from the new LED tail light into a 1157 male pigtail?

Thanks is advance.

Online Aussie-67

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Tony
  • Car: 67 Mustang Coupe
Re: 1966 Mustang LED Tail Light Conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 08:28:12 pm »
I bought the same kit.  It's a pretty good product and I found it to be around $180 cheaper than what I could get locally.

Mine was supplied pre wired to a 1157 globe end, and as its sealed I can't see how it's wired inside.  However at a guess I suspect that red/ white to one side black to the other.  You will need to run a new wire(s) from the indicator flasher can (note not the hazard flasher can) for the yellow wire.  You can use a test light to find the right wires from the existing loom.

If you're still unsure email Vintage LED's.  Gary is always helpful. (gary@vintageleds.com)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 09:18:19 pm by Aussiecv8 »

Offline Fryingtonite

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Car: 1966 Mustang Fastback
Re: 1966 Mustang LED Tail Light Conversion
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 10:31:24 pm »
I think I’ll contact Gary and ask him to send me the 1157 make pigtails and an explanation of what each wire does for the socket and for the LED tail light.
Then I guess it will have to be trail and error to see what works. Hopefully nothing ‘explodes’.