KYB Gas Adjust Shocks - 66 Coupe

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: KYB Gas Adjust Shocks - 66 Coupe  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Micks66coupe

• Stallion
  • Name: Mick
  • Car: 66 coupe
KYB Gas Adjust Shocks - 66 Coupe
« on: January 24, 2021, 07:02:33 pm »
Jiffy had a set of the KYB shocks for sale on the forum but I wasn't quick enough, however it did prompt me to do some online research and the KYB Gas Adjust shocks sounded perfect for our coupe. Picked up set on Ebay for $299 plus postage, I fitted them today and they have made a noticeable difference. I know there are plenty of gas shock alternatives on the market but for our needs these KYB's will suit us, didn't realise how soft the existing shocks were until we changed them over.

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
Re: KYB Gas Adjust Shocks - 66 Coupe
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 09:58:26 pm »
To each his own! I did the opposite, finding that the KYBs up front were just too firm for my liking and substituting a different and softer brand.   :cheers:

Offline heeno

• Stallion
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 01:26:54 pm »
which shocks did you go go to 67FBGT? I've also noticed the KYB shocks a little stiff and bouncy for me however I did fit them in conjunction with a set of brand new 4 leaf springs a yr ago which might just still be settling. Also Im the only one in the car 99% of the time so no weight in the back apart from a tank of fuel. 

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 04:29:37 pm »
I thought that the KYBs exerted too much control over the front springs, not allowing them to respond to small bumps making the ride a bit jarring when I didn't think it should be. The front end seemed too stiff overall for my taste.
So I swapped in a set of Gabriel Guardians which I bought via eBay for around $125 delivered IIRC, just thought I'd try those in lieu of the KYBs following a comment I'd picked up on on this forum. And I'm quite happy thus far.
On back I just have Monroes, can't recall what type.