Dakota Digital Need help in ordering

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Dakota Digital Need help in ordering  (Read 1785 times)

Offline siminora

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Ian
  • Car: Mustang '67 & 2018
Dakota Digital Need help in ordering
« on: January 03, 2021, 12:57:29 pm »
I have a 67 Convertible and going to order Dakota Gauge set.
I am confused with regard to the Alternator light. It seems that some of the gauges do not have provision for the light. Is this correct?
If so does the manufacturer build in the circuit showing a resistive load as you operate the ign key then extinguishing the light as the engine starts, i.e. alternator starts charging.
Strange question maybe buy have been let down badly by Speed Hut on an earlier purchase.

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
Re: Dakota Digital Need help in ordering
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 02:38:33 pm »
If one of your gauges is a volt meter, then you do not need an alternator light, gauge will show 12 volts on no start and around 14 on start up, if you want a light you will have to fit one to the dash, although most alternators need the light for excitation.

Offline siminora

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 05:23:48 pm »
Its the excitation of the alternator that is bothering me. It doesnt seem that Dakota have addressed that problem.

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 06:50:54 pm »
So if your 67 has a charge light you can just fit to a small panel out of the way, or just hide it somewhere. You can in some instances fit a resistor in place of the light. What alternator do you have and is it externally regulated?

Offline siminora

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 06:56:33 pm »
Understand what you are saying I had the same problem with Speed Hut a while back, on another car, and cured it with a relay and light. It just seems a bit slack that Dakota and at Least Speed Hut have left this out of their menu.

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 07:30:43 pm »
Yeah, and fitting some generic red light in the dash panel, just looks like an add on, that's why on my 65 i have a discreet panel mounted with the charge light, ac switch and 3 speed fan switch.

Offline siminora

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 10:30:02 am »
What about buying the version which has a number of programable warning lights in the two big gauges and using say, "Engine" light to become "IGN". This can be done, I think but not sure, by installing an ignition relay which would send an earth signal when the ignition is switched and then lift that signal when the alternator starts charging.
I also cant see a "Hi Beam" light do you still hard wire that to the Bezel light?

Offline siminora

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 12:16:41 pm »
Damm right 67