Advice on roof rail weatherseals / 66 coupe

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Advice on roof rail weatherseals / 66 coupe  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Micks66coupe

• Stallion
  • Name: Mick
  • Car: 66 coupe
Advice on roof rail weatherseals / 66 coupe
« on: January 01, 2021, 02:35:25 pm »
I brought roof rail weather seals for our 66 coupe, before I start I would welcome any advice. I also got the recommended 3M contact to use as well. Thinking at the moment after I remove the old seals I can dry test fit the new seals starting at the front where they are screwed in, what I'm worried about is the instant contact issue with the 3M product (no room for error)

Really hoping to get this right the first time, any advice from those who have done this job would be welcome.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
Re: Advice on roof rail weatherseals / 66 coupe
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 12:49:58 pm »
I brought roof rail weather seals for our 66 coupe, before I start I would welcome any advice. I also got the recommended 3M contact to use as well. Thinking at the moment after I remove the old seals I can dry test fit the new seals starting at the front where they are screwed in, what I'm worried about is the instant contact issue with the 3M product (no room for error)

Really hoping to get this right the first time, any advice from those who have done this job would be welcome.

clean the rubber off with lacquer thinner to remove the mold release compound.

install it dry ad mark it and the body every 10" so you have a guide for the length so you end up at the correct place.

i always use weatherstrip adhesive and put a piece of low stick tape on the seal to the body every 10" to hold it in place.

be prepared for yoir doors and windows to not close properly.

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 02:07:26 pm »

be prepared for yoir doors and windows to not close properly.

Yes, be very prepared. Six years or so after putting new rubbers on both doors my passenger door still requires a harder shove to close properly than should be necessary. The driver's door is OK now as that gets a great deal more use. that Rubber Magic stuff from Rarespares helps.

Offline Micks66coupe

• Stallion
  • Name: Mick
  • Car: 66 coupe
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 02:38:12 pm »
Thanks for the advice, have taken old seals out and cleaned the inside of the roof rails and did a test fit this afternoon, think I'll be taking my time gluing the new one in by doing it about 12"at a time. When dry fitting it I found you can push the inner lip in first then focus on the outer one, think by final fitting a small section at a time I shouldn't get into any issues with the black 3M adhesive :fingerx:

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 03:49:48 pm »

Other than using some double sided tape to position the rail, no adhesive needed for the seals at all and after 8 yrs the seals are still intact without any problems. From memory i'm sure i used the Daniel Carpenter seals.