1965 FB Front Suspension

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1965 FB Front Suspension  (Read 1657 times)

Offline gbader

• Worked
  • SAAC Member
  • Name: Greg
  • Car: 65/66/16
1965 FB Front Suspension
« on: December 27, 2020, 08:06:10 pm »
Guys

Background  - basically i have just upgraded brakes and wheels (need to go 16” to clear rotor/caliber) on my car (its just a fun/track car). Now it’s always sat a little too high for my liking but wanted to wait for the new wheel combo before doing too much (going from 225/60/15 on 7’s to 225/50/16 on 8’s so a small difference in rolling diam according to calculators, not much in to the eye)

So, put mid eyes on the rear - like that, sits around 10mm lower than my 66 (that sits perfect for street) but the front is the challenge as it sits 25mm higher (so to the eye, high at the front -pic)

For the front, ordered a set of “high performance, 1 inch lowered” to see how it compares to what’s in there

Anyway, had a play today - the existing springs are “just long enough” to stay in position, don’t need a spring compressor to remove - put the new ones in (need a compressor but easy) and once back on the ground it is now sitting 60mm higher that when I started 😬 so that’s not going to work - like an idiot, I trimmed them down to a qtr coil short of the original 620’s (pic) and as you would have guessed - they are too loose (as in, on full stretch they can move position)

Anyway, over that stuff up (cost me a set of springs) - my lower arm, perch etc are all non standard and have been moved lower I think (suspect this is the issue - pic)

So, question is - what am I doing wrong, missing here? -- can I get some sort of progressive spring that gives me length (to stay in pos) but is hard (620+) once under load and still lowers? - guessing not, maybe something that can be made up?

My other option is to go back to where I was (original front/back) but kind of feel I am tracking a monster truck 😃

Cheers

Greg
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 08:23:27 pm by gbader »

Offline gbader

• Worked
  • SAAC Member
Re: 1965 FB Front Suspension
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 08:09:10 pm »
Pics
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 08:12:59 pm by gbader »

Offline trav68

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 12:41:19 am »
Hi Greg,
There are a few goto King part numbers ( search Shaunp posts).

Otherwise go see APE suspension as pretty good ( one of main guys is ex WA Suspensions before they changed hands ). In person you can discuss exactly what part number King/Lovell you want.

Cheers,
Trav

Offline gbader

• Worked
  • SAAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 02:31:23 pm »
Trav

Yep, will check out the king spring ones

Cheers