Wheel Alignment Specs For a 65 Coupe

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Wheel Alignment Specs For a 65 Coupe  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Small Block

• Worked
Wheel Alignment Specs For a 65 Coupe
« on: October 30, 2020, 06:43:40 pm »
Can anyone tell me the recommended wheel alignment specs for a 65 Coupe? The car doesn't have the Shelby drop.
I see some recommendations on US sites, but does that work here?
My local Bridgestone reckon they they can do my car, so it would be great to take them some specs.
How often do you guys check the wheel alignment on your cars? I probably drive mine more than most. Currently I am experiencing some tyre scrub going into corners.

Offline Megzee67

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Michael
  • Car: 1967 Mustang Coupe
Re: Wheel Alignment Specs For a 65 Coupe
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 03:13:05 pm »
1.  NO more than .25 degrees difference between driver’s side and passenger’s side.

2. +2.0  to +3.5 degrees caster. 

3.  -.5 to 0 degrees camber.  No positive camber, please.  There is no problem having a slight variation from driver’s side to passenger’s side to account for the crown in the road.

4.    1/16" to 1/8” toe in
Most people don't listen with the intent to understand
They listen with the intent to reply.

Offline Small Block

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 05:10:34 pm »
1.  NO more than .25 degrees difference between driver’s side and passenger’s side.

2. +2.0  to +3.5 degrees caster. 

3.  -.5 to 0 degrees camber.  No positive camber, please.  There is no problem having a slight variation from driver’s side to passenger’s side to account for the crown in the road.

4.    1/16" to 1/8” toe in
Thanks. Is this for a 65 model?

Offline Megzee67

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 05:26:20 pm »
66 mate, but the footprint and geometry for 65 is exactly the same...
Considerations for rim/tyre upgrades need to be considered as well.....
Although I have a 67, the values I posted are for a 66 that i found during my own research...
My suggestion would be to the Shelby drop and an upgrade of your front end....Ball joints etc prior, which is a low cost weekend job, and then go for a new alignment.....

Offline Small Block

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 05:47:18 pm »
66 mate, but the footprint and geometry for 65 is exactly the same...
Considerations for rim/tyre upgrades need to be considered as well.....
Although I have a 67, the values I posted are for a 66 that i found during my own research...
My suggestion would be to the Shelby drop and an upgrade of your front end....Ball joints etc prior, which is a low cost weekend job, and then go for a new alignment.....
Thanks.
Suspension and steering are all pretty new. I kick myself for not getting the Shelby drop done when I had the front end in pieces.
My far has 15" rims, but with the tyre profile, the overall diameter is close to the same as the 14" that were on there. Will the 15" rims need anything different, or do the same specs apply?

Offline Megzee67

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 06:08:20 pm »
Sorry SB, I am not an expert but, as I said, I was doing my own research and I found the subject to be a bit of a rabbit hole.
The US sights and info forums can often lead to the right camber/castor values, but we have to apply it to Australian road camber and LHD/RHD configurations.......etc, etc...
I am close to getting my 67 on the road after a full restomod restoration so my plan is to approach the alignment phase as a bit of a trial program and not rely on one of adjustment results...
Hope you find a good result SB..