Ignition switch style for 68 Mustangs

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Ignition switch style for 68 Mustangs  (Read 1175 times)

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
Ignition switch style for 68 Mustangs
« on: October 24, 2020, 08:04:50 am »
Hi all,
A few years ago after getting my car back on the road after an Engine rebuild and fitting new EFI system and Haltech ECU my ignition switch appeared to fail by not turning off the starter run, (although it could have been the starter solenoid, we had been turning the engine over a quite a bit entering a base map).

I purchased a new Ignition switch, but it had different posts and the problem was resolved so I never fitted it.

The original switch was a US85 (Ford truck) and I received a US45 (Mustang).

My question is was there ever a problem with the original switch US45.

I read in a forum that there was, arcing and catching on fire? But back in the day there was no recalls as there is today. It may have been the pigtail that was the problem!

The switch appears to be faulty again, I've since purchased but not received a pigtail to suit a US45,

Cheers Phil

PS. The two switches seem identical except for the posts! One Spade and the other round post!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 03:33:40 pm by AussiePhil »
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
Re: Ignition switch style for 68 Mustangs
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 08:43:46 pm »
Hi all,
I've changed out my flat blade F100 US85 ignition switch to the Mustang US45 ignition switch and fitted a Scott Drake ignition switch repair connector C9AZ-14313-A, colours are slightly different but all good!
I have the standard old Ford Mustang 1968 wiring diagram book but it and the internet doesn't show the ignition switch wiring very well, if you have a better version can you share it with me and the forum.

Cheers Phil.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 02:41:29 pm by AussiePhil »
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!