engine rebuild

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: engine rebuild  (Read 1448 times)

Offline pmb0186

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: PETE
  • Car: 66 MUSTANG
engine rebuild
« on: October 20, 2020, 12:38:36 pm »
Hi all,
I'm in the process of re-building a roller block 302 which I picked up cheap and it was meant to have around 200,000km on it but now have my doubts as there is a small lip on two of the cylinders. How lip is acceptable I can only just feel it with my fingernail? will a hone do?
Was meant to be a budget build as may not live permanently in the car.
does anyone remember laughter

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
Re: engine rebuild
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 04:41:01 pm »
 That is a tricky question indeed, just like pulling at a loose thread. It comes down to how far do you want to go, tidy it up just to ensure it's reliable for the short term, and if it's in reasonable shape live with it, or pull it down, get it lip cut and honed, new bearings rings, seals, gaskets, timing chain etc etc and your'e well into a new build, If as you say it may not be permanent, why put good money into it..,
 If you have access to measuring tools, it would tell you a lot just how much wear you have below the lip.

FWIW, I had recently had my block machined for a complete rebuild, it too had lips on all the cylinders didn't seem to large but on measuring they had worn on average 20-27 thou. It had been to the moon.....,
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 06:56:08 am by Reborn67 »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 03:31:37 pm »
yeah, you need to have the cylinders measured for taper and out of round, then post the info, but if either measurement is more than .002", it is not an engine i would run very often, and it may smoke.

Offline SMH00N

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Stephen
  • Car: 70 Sportsroof Grabber pac
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 07:22:38 pm »
If you can feel it, you gotta drill it.
Just saying what the engine guy told me...