Largest wheel size on early mustang - legal in WA

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Largest wheel size on early mustang - legal in WA  (Read 5423 times)

Offline r2d2

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: James
Largest wheel size on early mustang - legal in WA
« on: December 22, 2019, 09:06:31 pm »
Hi All
I have a 73 coupe and wanting to change rims to something a little larger than the 14s currently on it.
Can anyone tell me what the largest legal size rim I can out in it.
I see some older cars running with 17 and 18 inch rims and wondering if it is legal or not.
I thought you were only allowed to increase by one inch over manufactures sized rims.
Any help in this matter would be great.
James

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
Re: Largest wheel size on early mustang - legal in WA
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 09:20:32 pm »
Google the current rules for WA, they're all online. The rules governing wheels seem to vary somewhat from state to state.

Offline r2d2

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 10:06:49 pm »
Thanks, I have previously read and read just about everything on their website and all I can find is that they tyre can’t be any bigger than 15mm than original diameter, plus and can’t  change the track by 25mm. Nothing really onside of the rim. Just don’t want to go and get a set of rims and then have my insurance cancelled or get pulled over with a yellow for the wrong size rim.

So i thought someone on here maybe able to help with their experience rather then google it as that is what I have done and done again.

But thanks
James

Offline gbader

• Worked
  • SAAC Member
  • Name: Greg
  • Car: 65/66/16
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 02:13:50 pm »
you need to call them (because finding a definitive answer online seems to be way harder than it needs to be), the old rule used to be 1" (up or down) from original specs but thinking that has changed

On diameter (yes there are track rules etc) - it seems to be 15mm for cars and 50mm for 4x4 in terms of overall diameter (rim and tyre), so I am thinking this might mean that you can do 18/19 etc if you want as long as you keep you rolling diameter within 15mm of the best example you can find for original fitment.

That's just my understanding and please call them before you shell out your $ (now, do wheels that big look good on a classic-  whole different argument :))

cheers

Offline r2d2

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 08:19:14 pm »

Thanks Gbader, looks like it might be the best way to go.
I wasn’t going to big, maybe 16s but definitely not 18s.
Your thinking is the same as mine.
Looks like a call to the Gov to get an answer
Merry Christmas

you need to call them (because finding a definitive answer online seems to be way harder than it needs to be), the old rule used to be 1" (up or down) from original specs but thinking that has changed

On diameter (yes there are track rules etc) - it seems to be 15mm for cars and 50mm for 4x4 in terms of overall diameter (rim and tyre), so I am thinking this might mean that you can do 18/19 etc if you want as long as you keep you rolling diameter within 15mm of the best example you can find for original fitment.

That's just my understanding and please call them before you shell out your $ (now, do wheels that big look good on a classic-  whole different argument :))

cheers

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 09:40:48 pm »
Check but I think that WA also has a restriction on rim width, that being 7". So a staggered fitment such as 7"/8" would be a no-no.
I'd agree that 16" dia rim would be ideal (I've been looking at the same), but I think you'll find that there's hardly anything in that size available in Australia; it generally comes down to a choice between 15" and 17" (or bigger).
Check with the authorities as to what is permitted, and also your insurance company will want to know (and approve, or not) what non-factory items are fitted to your car.
Merry Xmas and good hunting.

Offline r2d2

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 12:43:34 am »
Thanks 67FBGT
I think the widest is 8” allowed and they have to be the same width. So I will have to check it out.
Merry Christmas to you and your family and have a awesome 2020

Check but I think that WA also has a restriction on rim width, that being 7". So a staggered fitment such as 7"/8" would be a no-no.
I'd agree that 16" dia rim would be ideal (I've been looking at the same), but I think you'll find that there's hardly anything in that size available in Australia; it generally comes down to a choice between 15" and 17" (or bigger).
Check with the authorities as to what is permitted, and also your insurance company will want to know (and approve, or not) what non-factory items are fitted to your car.
Merry Xmas and good hunting.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 09:13:36 am »
Thanks, I have previously read and read just about everything on their website and all I can find is that they tyre can’t be any bigger than 15mm than original diameter

15mm - are they out of their minds?

That's a variation of only around 2% and plenty of new cars have manufacturer supplied wheel options that vary by more than that.
Cheers,
Brian