Harrop Supercharger Install opinion's please

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Harrop Supercharger Install opinion's please  (Read 8782 times)

Offline ajt

• Pony
  • Western Stang
  • Name: Ado
  • Car: 2017 Mustang
Harrop Supercharger Install opinion's please
« on: June 18, 2019, 09:27:41 am »
Hi All

Just chasing your views on a decision i want make soon..

Im looking at installing a Harrop supercharger kit on my 2017 GT and cat back exhaust.

Is it worth the money ?
I've made the choice to hold onto the car for a while but not sure if im wastng the cash and i could put the money into something else e.g full engine tune and full exhaust..

What do you think ?
Harrop TVS 2650 Supercharger, 3'' Manta Cat Back Exhaust, 28mm drop King springs

Offline gbader

• Worked
  • SAAC Member
  • Name: Greg
  • Car: 65/66/16
Re: Harrop Supercharger Install opinion's please
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 09:19:17 am »
if you go on one of the S550 cruises in Perth you will get to see lots of different options - personal choice in terms of if its $ wisely spent

Offline Sharkierulz

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 10:01:29 am »
Personally I think a supercharger is a complete waste of money on a S550 GT. As good as these cars are, they simply do not have the chassis to properly handle that much power. Adding so much extra power (even with upgraded suspension/wheels etc) simply sees it all wasted through a lack of traction.

My GT, now with 360kw/580NM, struggles to put the power down and will wheelspin at will in any gear up to 4th ..... even whilst rolling). Motor magazine did a whole comparison in their Hot Tuner shoot out a few years ago and a supercharged GT was not even 0.5s quicker to 100 than a stock GT and even less than that to a GT with a tune on it. Over 400m the differences where a bit bigger (not much though) and to be fair by 1km there was some noticeable differences.

Given the nanny state country we live in, there is ZERO chance of actually using the extra power on the road. So if you want HP numbers to brag about, sure spend $10K+, but be warned that actual performance increases wont be much.

Offline ajt

• Pony
  • Western Stang
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 11:07:15 am »
Hmmm ok....

so if there was a way of getting to power down to ground.. supercharge will be the goods... otherwise an overall tune and exhaust will be better money spent...

I do do have plans for some hill climbing events  around our area down south.. so i have that to consider.

Harrop TVS 2650 Supercharger, 3'' Manta Cat Back Exhaust, 28mm drop King springs

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 11:15:18 am »
Hmmm ok....

so if there was a way of getting to power down to ground.. supercharge will be the goods... otherwise an overall tune and exhaust will be better money spent...

I do do have plans for some hill climbing events  around our area down south.. so i have that to consider.

Speak to the guys at AWOL Pro Touring:

http://www.awolprotouring.com.au/blank-1

They're agents for Mike Maier based in WA ... and also forum members here  :smilies:

Offline Sharkierulz

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 02:18:39 pm »
Hmmm ok....

If you are going to be doing track work or hill climbs, best to get an AWD super hot hatch. Something like a Focus RS, Audi S3/RS3, Golf R, WRX Sti ..... all of them when suitably tuned will beat a heavily modified supercharged GT. Again, simply look at Motor's Hot Tuner shootouts.

What makes it worse is that spending $10K on modifying any of these AWD hatches will nett you far better results than spending $25K on a GT.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 02:25:03 pm by Sharkierulz »

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 02:26:11 pm »
It depends how much power you want and when your going to use it ,or is it for the looks and sound or the HP you want . I think the GT has enough power with a tune and basic mods for a street car . These things have traction problems now near stock .  ....😄 My one with a few basic mods and tune in an automatic has 277 RWKW 371 HP at the wheels . Super charged your looking at 550 HP @ plus  the wheels no problem . 😱😱😱 . Supercharge and you might or will break the diff half shafts so a change is a must and around $2,000 .  K&N air filter , axle back exhaust and tune is what I have . Headers and hi flow cats and exhaust with air box and tune around 405 HP @ the wheels is common .  My up grades cost around $1,700 . At the track mine did 12.3@116 mph with slow take offs .

Offline Sharkierulz

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 02:41:50 pm »
Some comparisons from the Hot Tuner 2017 shoot outs ....

Harrod Supercharged $112,000https://www.whichcar.com.au/events/hot-tuner/ford-mustang-hot-tuner-2017-2nd-harrop-supercharged-gt

Harrod NA tuned $71,000 https://www.whichcar.com.au/events/hot-tuner/ford-mustang-hot-tuner-2017-6th-harrop-mustang-gt

Extra 200kw/300NM for $41,000 netted 0.52s 0-100 improvement and less than 0.9s over 400m.

Is it worth it? I highly doubt it.

Offline ajt

• Pony
  • Western Stang
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 02:54:12 pm »
Some good points guys appreciated thanks.. I have some thinking to do..

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 03:01:14 pm »
Maybe start with some reading for handling upgrades here:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-suspension-upgrade-guide.html

Offline Sharkierulz

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 03:07:40 pm »
Maybe start with some reading for handling upgrades here:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-suspension-upgrade-guide.html

Problem is, both the Harrop Mustangs mentioned above already had those upgrades .....

Offline Pete Gala

• Pony
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 2017 Mustang GT
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 08:28:43 am »
I heavily agree with Sharki. Not worth the money. If you are doing it then the only reason is to hear that wine. Outside of that you will just sit there frying tires. If I was you, and I was in that thought process recently I would do the tune, cold air intake, full exhaust with long tube headers & high flow cats. You will see far better results for the cost comparison.

However, if you are still thinking about the charger. Just do it because clearly after advice like Sharki's above with stats to prove that slapping a blower on it just doesn't do it justice for the money you just want to install one for shits and giggles. Shit my stocky spins tires like a mofo. And further, agree that if you are looking at hill runs then get yourself an all-wheel-drive option.

Just my 2c worth.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:31:30 am by Pete Gala »

Offline ajt

• Pony
  • Western Stang
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 10:17:27 am »
Thanks i appreciate the points view..

In regards to the hill clime.. yeh true i know i can get a 4 wheel drive buz box that would suit better..

But there is a division just for rear wheel drive cars and the thought of just putting my stang through its paces it just... plane exciting

I mean at the end of the day thats why we are mustang enthusiasts and why we would spend more money on these type of cars than another i suppose regardless of the overall payoff.

Otherwise we would be on the forums of other car makes.

Makes me think of my past Harleys i've owned..  You spend money on them knowing there are faster better bikes out there.. But the point is you like the brand , the style and its custom look to suit your own tastes fully knowing your not going to get your money back.

Offline Sharkierulz

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 11:42:49 am »
My daily driver is an AWD hot hatch, that is as quick (quicker even) than my Mustang. I spend money on both ..... though I do get more "value" for the money I spend on the hatch and love driving it.

That said, I do love my Mustang just that tiny bit more and will still own the Mustang long after the hatch has gone. The Mustang is just that type of car .... a real muscle car with looks, sound and performance that makes me smile every time I drive it.

If, however, I get a chance to go to a track (and I do that at least once every few months being part of another car club (and forum)), I do look at whether the characteristics of the track suits the hatch or the Mustang better and take whichever will work better. For that very reason the hatch gets to go far more often as tighter circuits really suits the power down abilities of AWD.

And, yes, there are also far better RWD options for track work out there than a Mustang, almost all hails from Germany .... and I have owned a few of them as well. None of them are/were as desirable to me as the Mustang so I understand why we all have the urge to keep pouring money into a Mustang.

Realistically though, the Mustang suffers from very quickly reaching the point of diminishing returns and I have accepted that and just enjoy it for what it is. I'll do a few more mods (headers and bit more on the suspension) and then leave it as that for many years to come and perhaps 1 day add a 65-67 Mustang to keep it company.

Offline ajt

• Pony
  • Western Stang
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 09:52:02 am »
Well took the time to think about life and how short it can be.... So... what the hell i went for it..

Harrop TVS2650 and 3" Manta s/steel cat back exhaust fitted..

Haven't had this much fun in V8 in a long time..

Absolutely love it and the power delivery is insane  :thumb: