Ford Performance Power Pack Stage 2 and Strut Tower Brace - 2015 GT Mustang

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Ford Performance Power Pack Stage 2 and Strut Tower Brace - 2015 GT Mustang  (Read 7282 times)

Offline JasonK

• Worked
  • On first name terms with all Petrol Station staff!
  • Name: Jason
  • Car: 2015 GT Convertible
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone here fitted these items?

The PP2 is basically a Cold Air intake, a bigger throttle body and a tune.

Whilst I am the incompetent mechanic', but I do have a good collection of tools and an un-healthly amount of determination.

If anyone has self fitted this and has a tip from experience, I would be all ears.

The Strut Tower brace is just a handful of bolts to be torqued to a specific number - I should be able to manage this one I think.

I am planning to do the fitment around mid-april. So if you hear nothing until then, I will post how it went for any that might b e interested.

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
I haven't actually fitted one to mine but you may need to trim a piece of the strut tower brace to fit

Offline Sharkierulz

• Thoroughbred
I have fitted all of it (not Ford PP2 though) myself, except for the tune. That's coming at the next service due end of this month (April).

Cold Air Intake is easy to fit and there are a number of options out there.

Throttle body itself is easy to fit too. The info is in here: https://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,32106.0.html

Without the tune in its current state I'm at about 340kw, with the tune I'm expecting (was promised) 360kw. If I did the headers with high flow cats (and a retune) I'd be pushing 400kw of naturally aspirated goodness. This WILL happen eventually  :burnout:

Offline JasonK

• Worked
I haven't actually fitted one to mine but you may need to trim a piece of the strut tower brace to fit

True. The supplier called me to advise they would be making the adjustment to the brace yesterday and I should have it later this week.

Offline Pete Gala

• Pony
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 2017 Mustang GT
Well when you do Jas would love to see the photos.

Offline GT4951

• GT 4951
  • P Plates
  • On the learning curve
  • Name: Aubrey
  • Car: 2017 GT manual
Yep I got both. If you haven't paid for the PP2, save your money, I just bought another tune and pulled the Gt350 87mm TB. I had problems with the Ford tune and the Lund is waaaay better.
2017 GT, Magnetic, manual: XForce headers and 3” exhaust * GT350 CAI & TB, Lund tuned * FP Track Handling Pack * FP Strut Tower Brace * FP Short Throw Shifter * FP GT 350 Steering Wheel * FP Gas struts * 2018 Rear Deck Lid * JL Audio amp & subwoofer * Focal Flax Component and rear speakers * BlackVue 650 front & rear * Steeda clutch spring * JLT Oil catch can * LED & HID upgrade and side markers * Window and lens tint * CQuartz paint treatment * G2G stripes * Carbon Fibre dash wrap * Front light tinted covers * TriboTEX * EPM v3.3 Rear brake sequencers * Genuine spare wheel.

Offline JasonK

• Worked
Yep I got both. If you haven't paid for the PP2, save your money

Too late for me. I have the box sitting in my garage waiting.....

What was the issue you were experiencing with it?

Mostly I have only read good things about the PP2.

Offline Sharkierulz

• Thoroughbred
Where did you get the PP2 from? AS far as I know its not supported for Australian delivered GTs

See the comments by CJPony https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-performance-power-pack-upgrade-stage-2-gt-2015-2017/p/M9603M8A/

Offline GT4951

• GT 4951
  • P Plates
  • On the learning curve
Too late for me. I have the box sitting in my garage waiting.....

What was the issue you were experiencing with it?

Mostly I have only read good things about the PP2.

I like the hardware, and I liked the tune, but...too many low rev lurches and the NLS with a WOT shift does not work. It pissed me off, so I've gone with Lund, and e85.
2017 GT, Magnetic, manual: XForce headers and 3” exhaust * GT350 CAI & TB, Lund tuned * FP Track Handling Pack * FP Strut Tower Brace * FP Short Throw Shifter * FP GT 350 Steering Wheel * FP Gas struts * 2018 Rear Deck Lid * JL Audio amp & subwoofer * Focal Flax Component and rear speakers * BlackVue 650 front & rear * Steeda clutch spring * JLT Oil catch can * LED & HID upgrade and side markers * Window and lens tint * CQuartz paint treatment * G2G stripes * Carbon Fibre dash wrap * Front light tinted covers * TriboTEX * EPM v3.3 Rear brake sequencers * Genuine spare wheel.

Offline GT4951

• GT 4951
  • P Plates
  • On the learning curve
Where did you get the PP2 from? AS far as I know its not supported for Australian delivered GTs

See the comments by CJPony https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-performance-power-pack-upgrade-stage-2-gt-2015-2017/p/M9603M8A/

Herrod supports a tune for Australia, and if they install it is covered by a Ford Performance warranty.

Offline JasonK

• Worked
Ok, so the strut tower brace got installed yesterday. The only tricky bit is the wiring harness that it needs to sit under. There is a push plug that attaches the harness to the chassis, and once you pop that out there is enough room the slip the brace under the wires.

15mm deep socket, ratchet and a torque wrench to torque the bolts to 41 pound-feet.

5 minute install.

Offline JasonK

• Worked
So the stage two power pack install is complete (excluding the refitting of the plastic engine cover).

Runs really nicely. You can feel that she breathes better and has more power. Also a seems a bit louder as well given mine is running a 3 inch Borla  s-type cat back.

Things that caused me some grief:

1. Sound Tube delete. Buggered if I can work this out. I have watched every U Tube video I can find on it and none seems to show you quite how to do it. My solution? Cut if off half way - lets face it, it does SFA in any case - and put some fire resistant expanding foam into the empty pipe  then cap it. Not ideal I agree, and one day will probably sort it out properly. But the best I could come up with on a Saturday morning.

2. Little clips holding vacuum hoses onto the existing air intake pipe that connects the air box to the throttle body. The little clips are horse shoe shaped things a bit like a cir-clip. hard to get at with fingers my size. So I used a trim pick to lever them back and managed to break both clips. don't worry, you don't need them to complete the job anyway.

3. New air box. Take new air filter off BEFORE installation of the box. It allows you to put your hand inside and guide the rubber 'seal' to the correct 'fit'. Inverted commas used as the seal does not seal anything, and the fit is more like a rough outline. But that appears to be the manufacturers intent.

4. Wiring to the new throttle body - reuses the wiring from the old one. Pro tip - reconnect wiring to new throttle body before bolting new throttle body in place. Royal pain in the arse to reconnect afterwards.

5. Lower left hand bolt on the throttle body. For some reason the radiator overflow reservoir is in the way of the wrench. I should have taken my time and removed the reservoir, but dumbass here soldiered on and essentially stripped two bolts (one on the way out on the original throttle body, one on the way in on the new throttle body).

6. Software install. It's a bit finnicky for the technologically challenged. Find a 12 year old assistant and you will be right as rain. Either that or actually read the instructions properly a few times. I didn't get the email from Ford Performance web site, so I guessed it was going to require the password I gave it for my account when opened. Lucky for me that's how it worked out.

Also, the new throttle body bolts are torqued to 7ft pounds plus 60 degrees. That's not a lot and whilst I have been told real mechanics never use torque wrenches, I am not mechanically minded and will probably never use the $80 tool again. But the $20 per bolt peace of mind is worth every cent imho.

Offline GT4951

• GT 4951
  • P Plates
  • On the learning curve
Great progress, hope it works for you. Have you tried a full throttle change from 2nd to 3rd with no lift shift?

Offline JasonK

• Worked
Great progress, hope it works for you. Have you tried a full throttle change from 2nd to 3rd with no lift shift?

Sorry, the rag tops only came in Auto.....sadly in my opinion....

Offline JasonK

• Worked
Great progress, hope it works for you.

That is sort of it for my Mustang. I am now going to spend some time and bring the paintwork back to showroom, I might also get the seats re-upholstered in the oxblood leather that was on the brochure for this model, and that's about it for me.

As much as I really enjoyed having it as a daily drive for the past 3 years, I love having it as a weekender now.

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
Let me know when you've done the re-trim. 

I bought a set of 2017 convertible seats for my 66 project that had the airbags go off, so I will need to either replace the trim or just get it resewn up again.