Installation of an Electronic Speedo into 65 Mustang Gauge Cluster

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Installation of an Electronic Speedo into 65 Mustang Gauge Cluster  (Read 5019 times)

Offline 1965muzzy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
Asking if anyone has installed of an electronic speedo into 65 Mustang 5 Gauge Cluster.
I need to do this for the BTR 4 speed installation so that the speedo works. There are adaptors that can convert mechanical rotation to an electronic signal but they are just as expensive as the gauge itself. A whole new electronic cluster costs around $600-$700 minimum & I would have to have the speedo show in KM/Hr
I am looking at the AUTO METER AU3987-M SPORT-COMP 3-3/8 ELEC SPEEDO (with GPS calibration capability). How easy is it to remove the original speedo & install the Auto Meter unit?
So far I have the follwing.
* EL V8 (M97LE) BTR 4 Speed with Torque Converter & Flexplate
* Shiftkits Fully Programmable BTR Controller
* Transmission Harness from EB Falcon
* XA Crossmember
* 3.55 diff Center
* Holley Sniper EFI
* XD Tailshaft
Cheers Darren

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
I picked up an Intellitronix digital unit for under $200 landed on ebay. Reviews are mixed, with some people reporting 5yrs ago that some of their pixels have failed.

Mine isn't fitted yet so can't say what mine is like unfortunately.

https://www.intellitronix.com/product-page/mustang-65-66-replacement-dash

I'll try to find a cheap ebay link for you.

Offline 1965muzzy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
Thanks Dwayne.
I want to keep the original gauge cluster look. All the gauge type clusters have MPH speedos so it looks like if I want a Mustang gauge cluster with a KMH speedo, I may have to do this myself.
With the Autometer gauge, it is as simple as removing the old gauge, cutting the rear metal housing & mounting somehow the Autometer gauge? I bet it aint.
Cheers

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
Here's some
https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/613285-fitting-autometer-gauges-dash.html

I have a Speedhut Electronic 3 3/8" 0-180km speedo that I am not using and you can have for $100 plus the ride. It's is programmable with ANY ppm input. Wouldn't look out of place in a stock cluster, lights up white with a red needle. Comes with wiring kit also. And I know I'm biased, but Speedhut gauge are some of the best going around. They mount via a locking ring(the rear of the gauge itself is threaded), so you won't find an easier way to mount a gauge. If you're interested I'll get you some pics.
The reason I have this spare is that I changed my tacho to one with a shift light inbuilt, but when I ordered it I accidentally ordered a different style needle, and I couldn't handle a different needle in the speedo gauge, so I ordered another one  :smash:

Offline nickd

• Worked
  • MOCA Vic Member 924
  • Name: Nick
  • Car: 1965 Coupe
Dakota Digital do a replacement digital dash with the original look. Not cheap but look the part and work well.

Have a look at their VHX range.

Offline Ausfox

• Worked
17 SEPT 1964 FASTBACK
1966 Turbo 6Cyl Coupe
1979 INDY PACE CAR

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/427gge/Mustang%20Pacecar/

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here

Offline Ausfox

• Worked
The BTR already comes with an electronic sender. All he needs is an electronic gauge.

OP's Original Post. "There are adaptors that can convert mechanical rotation to an electronic signal but they are just as expensive as the gauge itself."

Will a BTR pulse generator drive an Aftermarket Speedometer?.

A OEM Ford one on an a 95 AODE would not drive a Classic Instruments Electronic Speedo that I fitted and I had to use one similar to the above.

Agree about Speedhut Gauges.

Pic of a Custom dash that I have almost finished using Speedhut's Design option, for my 1968 390 AMC AMX.
Speedo is GPS and in Kilometers, so no pulse generator and do not have to worry about tyre size and gearing!.
17 SEPT 1964 FASTBACK
1966 Turbo 6Cyl Coupe
1979 INDY PACE CAR

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/427gge/Mustang%20Pacecar/

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
Yup missed that. To the OP, if you don't have an electronic speedo sender from the BTR tranny harness, they are cheap and easy to find. Same as the local T5's senders too. I may have one in my pile.

And yeah, they can drive an aftermarket speedo. I used the BTR/T5 sender. You NEED to install a pullup resistor though. If you don't, the signal won't be strong enough. My speedo wasn't reading the signal until I installed a 10k .5w resistor between the signal and power wires off the gauge.

I also have a GPS Speedhut speedo now also, which is good as the tranny I'm looking at doesn't have a speedo output.

Offline 1965muzzy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
Thanks for the comments guys.
Husky65. I have done some reading up on the Speedhut gauges & they look to be the real deal. Yes definitely interested in the gauge. Please post photos. I've had a look at how to mount it in the original 5 gauge cluster. I will dismantle & remove the original speedo & install the Speedhut speedo.  How hard do you recon it would be? I assume it would connect up to the BTR transmission speedo connection via the EL BTR transmission sender unit pictured. 
Also, as Ausfox mentioned the sensor connection, will the EL Falcon unit in the picture attached wire up to the Speedhut gauge? I'm trying to think ahead of how I will install the BTR tranny & what the knock on issues are. I'm sure I will miss 1 or 2.
Cheers Darren

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
Yes it will work. I had the exact same sender.
There are 3 wires, being +ve, -ve, and signal. Now, your TCM is going to need the VSS signal also. You know you will also need a TPS for the TCM to work off? Here is a bit of a guide if you don't have it. https://www.hotrodhandbooks.com.au/eBooks/btr%20install%20and%20wiring.pdf

I also have some wiring schematics for the btr I can throw your way.

So for the VSS hall effect sensor:

+ve -  This usually gets it's power from the cluster. I am not sure if it is 5v or 12v ignition. Pretty sure you can use 12v, but the TCM has a 5v output for the TPS anyway on one of the pins, so you could use this.

-ve Connect this to the negative wire of the sender

signal Connect this to the signal input on the gauge. This will also have to be connected to the TCM. You will need to add a pullup resistor for it to work. At jaycar, get a 10k ohm .25 or .5w resistor, and solder it in between the signal wire and a 12v ign wire. This will amplify the signal so the gauge /tcm gets a good signal. This is normally done at the cluster from factory.

The gauge itself will require an ignition 12v signal and ground, as well as 12v lights on power. I would add a connector for ease of cluster removal and use the same wires where you can.

Sort of like this

Offline 1965muzzy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
Thanks Husky.
A few months ago what you wrote I would have had no idea what you are referring to but I do understand. I have the Hotrods BTR Installation document you have linked. It's what I started me on the BRT retro-fit. Going the Shiftkits route as I can see potential issues sorting the wiring. The $1100 is more a risk mitigation as I can see if I make a mistake somewhere concerning the electricals it could take ages to find the fault & would be cursing myself in not just getting the Shiftkits unit. I have been in contact with Jamie from Shiftkits & he has been nothing but helpful in answering my numerous questions
My mates bought me the Holley Sniper EFI pictured for my 50th some 18 months ago before I got the idea to install the BTR 4 speed. It so happens that incorporates the VSS & TP that the BTR tranny requires. The catch is that my current 289W is OK but needs a rebuild soon. I am looking at installing the Sniper EFI, getting the BTR working then have the 289 rebuilt. I know it's not the prefered sequence but it suits my timing. Cheers Darren 

Offline 1965muzzy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
I suppose I should post a photo of my Muzzy. Cheers Daz

Offline mp1718

• Stallion
  • One day this thing will be finished....
  • Name: Mal
I can't answer any of your questions here Darren.....but can say I love the wheels and stance on your Stang.....perfect...

Offline 1965muzzy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
Thanks MP.
It took a bit of work to get the stance right.
I got the wheels off Ebay for under $1,100 as per picture below. This was a really good price for wheels that were custom back spaced to what you wanted. Fronts 17x7, 4.5" Back Space, Rears 17x8, 5.0" Back Space. Cheers Daz