Engine rebuild

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Engine rebuild  (Read 57994 times)

Online Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
Re: Engine rebuild
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2018, 11:07:16 am »
Still reading and trying to absorb,Nobody has mentioned edelbrock heads or is that what you mean when you say e street heads, also you mentioned for a mild 347 stroker you say you can get away with the cast crank,thats not the original though,is it? l built quite a few engines in my 20's but that was some time ago and l never did anything other than stock , so there is a lot [understatement] for me to relearn and learn about non factory stuff, starting to realise the depth of this task, going to enjoy this regardless and your input is great!!

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2018, 11:12:33 am »
Still reading and trying to absorb,Nobody has mentioned edelbrock heads or is that what you mean when you say e street heads, also you mentioned for a mild 347 stroker you say you can get away with the cast crank,thats not the original though,is it? l built quite a few engines in my 20's but that was some time ago and l never did anything other than stock , so there is a lot [understatement] for me to relearn and learn about non factory stuff, starting to realise the depth of this task, going to enjoy this regardless and your input is great!!

this will be a piece of cake then if you build it yourself.

the cast crank is a stroker crank but it is still much stronger than a stock ford crank and in your case, you ain't gonna break it.

yes, the e street heads are the budget edelbrock ones and they use the same casting as they use for the rpm heads so the quality is very good, however, the flow is not as good as comparable trick flow 11r heads or afr heads.

a 347 with the wimpy e street heads with a mild performance cam will make your stock 289 feel like a 4 cylinder by comparison. the difference will be big but it wont be a fire breathing tire burner.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:16:11 am by barnett468 »

Offline earthwalker

• Stallion
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2018, 11:17:03 am »
HI Andrew
Where about in Newcastle are you, I'm up Tea Gardens way, have recently build a 331 that used the heads and cam shaunp has mentioned  dynoed to about 400hp and is sweet to drive , I didn't want a pig just a solid cruiser that does mostly freeway work, could take you for a spin , although I've got the diff center out at the moment

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2018, 11:23:02 am »
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:32:18 am by barnett468 »

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2018, 11:33:14 am »
My 347 Stroker is still going strong after about 8 years ,gets a hard time every time I drive it ,does not use oil or blow smoke and has around 430 HP ,and is a mild engine . Go 347 not 289 which you will have to rev the ring out of it to get good HP . Ps I only rev my 347 to 6,000 rpm max .

Online Reborn67

• Worked
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2018, 12:18:34 pm »
Back again,
To earthwalker, l am in Belmont and your offer is great, will have to keep in touch,
l would dearly love to build this engine myself, but abit hesitant at so many levels, sourcing parts from o/s l will have to rely heavily on others for pros/cons, needing to know exactly what l need so all the parts are compatable before l source them, etc etc,
And l have come across guys in the past that are a bit reluctant to do the machining on parts when they know they are not doing the whole build, so my enquiries will be endless........,
Going out of town for a week so wont be responding for a while,  Thanks again  Andrew..,

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2018, 12:45:27 pm »
Back again,
To earthwalker, l am in Belmont and your offer is great, will have to keep in touch,
l would dearly love to build this engine myself, but abit hesitant at so many levels, sourcing parts from o/s l will have to rely heavily on others for pros/cons, needing to know exactly what l need so all the parts are compatable before l source them, etc etc,
And l have come across guys in the past that are a bit reluctant to do the machining on parts when they know they are not doing the whole build, so my enquiries will be endless........,
Going out of town for a week so wont be responding for a while,  Thanks again  Andrew..,

all the parts shaunp or i or some others suggest will definitely be compatible, i guarantee it.

we can give you all the exact machining specs for the machinist.

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2018, 12:46:43 pm »
VPW has a site on ebay that has better prices on the scat stroker equipment than buying from overseas. You can get a 347 stroker crank for under $400aud for eg.
If you decide to go that way

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2018, 01:01:41 pm »
VPW has a site on ebay that has better prices on the scat stroker equipment than buying from overseas. You can get a 347 stroker crank for under $400aud for eg.
If you decide to go that way

And they regularly have sales with 10-20% off those prices.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2018, 01:12:28 pm »
Back again,

Really no machining to do other than bore and deck the block, fit cam bearings, though I recommend you fit some ARP main stud and line bore the block as a well. . You do have to hand clearance a bit out of the bottom of the cylinders so the rod bolts dont hit due the extra stroke.  Wynnum engine in Brisbane loves to just machine stuff. They do it for many engine builders. Ive been using them since the 80's
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 01:14:17 pm by shaunp »

Online Reborn67

• Worked
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2018, 04:31:12 pm »
Thanks again Guys, l will go away tonight with a lot to digest but very comfortable with the advise you have given me,
You may just have opened my eyes to the stroking option, Not the foe l thought it might be,
Andrew..,

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2018, 07:16:05 pm »
Thanks again Guys, l will go away tonight with a lot to digest but very comfortable with the advise you have given me,
You may just have opened my eyes to the stroking option, Not the foe l thought it might be,
Andrew..,

It transforms them, so you get tameish  400hp /300kw + engine,with loopy idle at about 850 rpm, so like a late model V8 Holden power, but in a car that weighs 300kg less, they are fun to drive. 347 cube, flat top pistons, 185 AFR  58cc chamber heads, 272 Voodoo roller cam, aim for  10.5:1 compression, Air gap intake, 750 carb. and you can dust of most modern things. 12sec 1/4 mile, turn the tyres when get on it. I did one late last year , very similar but reused his 170 RPM heads , which I ported a bit but still to small. It will dust 2016 Mustang on a rolling start, has 2500k stall.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2018, 01:25:29 am »
Andrew..,

The fact is that in some ways it is even a little easier to stroke an engine than it is to use stock parts, because most of the time, there is no additional machining to do on the crank to get the correct bearing clearances for most street apps. you can basically just start bolting parts together, but of course check the clearances with plasti gauge or something as you go.

Offline Reklaw

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2018, 07:49:09 am »
Easy Motors at Wyong, which isn't too far from Belmont, can do all the machining, balancing etc. but they generally don't do final assembly, so they won't be upset if you want to assemble it yourself. I've found them to be quite good over the years that I've dealt with them.

Offline Coupe66

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Wes
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2018, 08:42:48 am »
It transforms them, so you get tameish  400hp /300kw + engine,with loopy idle at about 850 rpm, so like a late model V8 Holden power, but in a car that weighs 300kg less, they are fun to drive. 347 cube, flat top pistons, 185 AFR  58cc chamber heads, 272 Voodoo roller cam, aim for  10.5:1 compression, Air gap intake, 750 carb. and you can dust of most modern things. 12sec 1/4 mile, turn the tyres when get on it. I did one late last year , very similar but reused his 170 RPM heads , which I ported a bit but still to small. It will dust 2016 Mustang on a rolling start, has 2500k stall.

I totally agree with Shaun.

I am so happy with my 347 which I built myself. It was not hard at all as long as the machining work is good and you pay great attention to detail in the assembly of the engine.
My 66 mustang can run mid 11 second 1/4 times in full street trim and is a lot of fun to drive.
It has the usual good parts with , 185 AFR heads ,Edelbrock RPM air gap manifold , 750 carb, decent size hydraulic roller cam, 11:1 compression, 1 5/8” extractors, 3500rpm stall converter and 3.9 Diff gears.
The engine has been going for quite a while now , I drive it regularly and it has never missed a beat. Before the build I used a great deal of information and advice from this forum which helped me heaps.
Cheers.. Wes.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2018, 11:00:48 am »
I would also convert it to a 1 piece rear seal but make certain the lip of the seal does not ride on the small grooves in the rear journal or it may leak.

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2018, 08:45:25 am »
In that neck of the woods the first thing you should do is ask Fitzy on here where NOT to go to get an engine built.

:toetapping:  :lmao:

I had to travel a bit further south down the freeway to obtain my masterpiece...

Prycey is just around the corner from where i work and i've seen a few very wild machines come out of there and as mentioned they know there stuff.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:53:49 am by Fitzy1980 »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2018, 09:13:17 am »
I had to travel a bit further south down the freeway to obtain my masterpiece...

masterpiece? 

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Offline Cob427

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2018, 09:50:48 am »
Hi all.
Quick question..
Is it worth bothering to port match an RPM Airgap manifold to the AFR 185 heads?

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2018, 12:47:07 pm »
Hi all.
Quick question..
Is it worth bothering to port match an RPM Airgap manifold to the AFR 185 heads?

its way more complicated than that and i would not do it. plus, edelbrock themselves say that you can loose performance if you enlarge that intake manifolds ports to match cylinder heads.

if you want more top end power, put a victor intake on it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 12:51:07 pm by barnett468 »

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2018, 03:58:25 pm »
I totally agree with Shaun.

I am so happy with my 347 which I built myself. It was not hard at all as long as the machining work is good and you pay great attention to detail in the assembly of the engine.
My 66 mustang can run mid 11 second 1/4 times in full street trim and is a lot of fun to drive.
It has the usual good parts with , 185 AFR heads ,Edelbrock RPM air gap manifold , 750 carb, decent size hydraulic roller cam, 11:1 compression, 1 5/8” extractors, 3500rpm stall converter and 3.9 Diff gears.
The engine has been going for quite a while now , I drive it regularly and it has never missed a beat. Before the build I used a great deal of information and advice from this forum which helped me heaps.
Cheers.. Wes.

Did you have any hood clearance issues with the air gap manifold?

Offline Coupe66

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Wes
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2018, 04:49:57 pm »
I have a 1” open spacer under the carby as well and yes this does put the air cleaner out of the bonnet.
I have a Mach 1 style scoop which covers it ok.

I did not port match my manifold to the 185 AFR heads and mine still goes quite well.

Offline earthwalker

• Stallion
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2018, 05:32:15 pm »
Did you have any hood clearance issues with the air gap manifold?

Not at all, did have a standard 2 inch air cleaner , now 3 inch with a drop base

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2018, 05:49:42 pm »
67 Convertible

Offline Cob427

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2018, 08:24:56 pm »
Much appreciated.
Cheers