70 Boss 302 Holley rebuild recommendations please

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 70 Boss 302 Holley rebuild recommendations please  (Read 2531 times)

Offline 167961

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Martin Dibb
70 Boss 302 Holley rebuild recommendations please
« on: March 14, 2018, 12:33:59 pm »
Long story very short. I have just acquired a Tom Zeman concourse rebuilt correct 70 date coded Holley for my 70 Boss 302. I also have a nicely set up 69 build Boss Holley I have taken off the car and am looking for someone who I can take both to and say "copy the setup on the old one to the new one". Recommendations gratefully received with one caveat - I need someone who will baby the new one and will not mark it as it is like a brand new piece of jewellery. And yes, I'm just a wee bit obsessive about detail lol

PS. I am in Canberra. Does anybody know anything about Canberra Carburettor Services, now based in Murrumbateman just outside Canberra???

Many thanks guys and thanks for letting me join MOCA
Martin
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 02:12:05 pm by 167961 »

Offline lukep6470

• Worked
Re: 70 Boss 302 Holley rebuild recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 03:09:37 pm »
if they are the same size and mechanically identical carbs, cant you just swap the jets and power pump from one to the other? 

Even if you get someone to do it the idle will have to be tuned when the new carb is installed on the car.

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 05:55:44 pm »
If the '69 works so well, then swap the metering blocks and baseplate over, IIRC they're the same across both years? Does the '69 have the vented front bowl?
If it's the markings that you want to duplicate, then someone who does Falcon GT restorations would be your best bet - maybe Hume Performance or GT-Performance in Niddrie (Vic).
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline 167961

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Martin Dibb
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 08:53:25 am »
Yes, the carbs are identical tween years, although in this case both are 70 model year carbs - old one coded Dec 69 and new coded March 70. I can't cannibalise the 69 unit as it will be going to a very good friend. And whilst I have basic mechanical knowledge and can adjust float levels and idle mixtures, pulling the carb apart to change out internal components scares the bejeepers outa me (remembering the new carb cost over 3k to locate, restore and get over here).

I'll give Hume a call. Last time I spoke to GT restorations they were arrogantly hopeless - basically if you weren't talking a Falcon GT they didn't want to know you...even tough you and I know a Boss has international value whereas a GT is worth nothing outside Australia.

Apart from Hume, anybody else got suggestions??
Thanks
Martin

Offline craig.miller

• Stallion
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 10:11:46 am »
Go see Terry out at Performance Plus in Queanbeyan. What you are wanting is very simple to do amd he will have no issues doing it.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 08:39:04 am »
Just check if the jets are the same if they are just leave it. Will take 10 mins